Author Topic: Hungry Jack Powdered Mashed Potatoes  (Read 1240 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hungry Jack Powdered Mashed Potatoes
« on: March 27, 2022, 04:44:48 PM »
During the big Covid run on food and stuff, of all things Idaho could run out of, I couldn't find taters in the store for a while. So as part of my preps of stocking extra pantry items during the craziness, I picked up a box of Hungry Jack powdered mashed potatoes at Costco. Eight individual 4 serving (or 2 Ben servings) packets per box. I never ended up using them as the grocery stores got back to normal. I was just going through the pantry this week and saw the box with the "best by" date some months past, so decided to give them a go and use them up.

I was very pleasantly surprised. For reconstituted potatoes ,they are very good. Boil two cups of water, add it to the powder, stir 30 seconds and you're done. With a little butter and some Johnny's garlic seasoning, they are as good as any mashed potatoes I have eaten in a restaurant (where they probably do reconstituted potatoes anyway). While I still prefer my own mashed potatoes, as a backup food supply, these are tastier than most. I'm going to try and find some more to stick in the pantry.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Hungry Jack Powdered Mashed Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 06:28:27 PM »
I've never had any aversion to using potato flakes. I use local grocery store  brand and make them with water, butter, and a bit of half and half.

I can definitely tell that I'm not eating real potatoes, but they're still tasty.

If you want to try something really good, go into the vouched recipes thread and find the instant mashed potato gnocchi recipe. It ROCKS.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 09:04:48 PM »
I use potato flakes a lot. Easy for a quick smashed tater fix.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

robear

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 12:13:22 AM »
The Idahoan packets of instant mashed potatoes are pretty good too, with a good selection flavors.   2 cups of water (or water and milk) in the microwave for 4-5 minutes, dump in potato flakes, mix, let set for about 1-2 minutes, stir with a fork, eat.   

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 01:06:07 AM »
Oy vey... Do your potato pancakes as a two-stage process... Really thin, and start in a pan with hot oil. Flip. Get them set. Remove.

Then put in the deep fryer...
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 12:21:04 AM »
I like the instant potato flakes for breading stuff, couple of bread recipes use them too.

And they clot blood if you are feeling tactical. The perfect travel food for meal team 6.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.