Author Topic: Musk and Twitter  (Read 46590 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Musk and Twitter
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2022, 09:41:26 PM »
Sputter
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2022, 09:45:34 PM »
Triggered
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2022, 09:58:04 PM »
Blather.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2022, 10:02:24 PM »
Twaddle
"It's good, though..."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2022, 11:49:06 PM »
Twits.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2022, 07:50:42 AM »
I see Musk has decided not to join the board of directors. Not enough info for me to discuss what that might mean, other than the Twitter CEO sent some internal memo out about people on the board of directors having to "work in the best interests of the company".

Maybe Musk decided that would constrain him too much. Or maybe he's just gonna sell all his shares this week and make a few billion in profits.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2022, 08:19:30 AM »
Maybe Musk decided that would constrain him too much. Or maybe he's just gonna sell all his shares this week and make a few billion in profits.  =)

Could be he wants to eventually purchase a controlling interest in the company, or maybe he just wants to make some money off the stock buy.  It's going to be interesting and fun to watch if it's the former.  The tenor of Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal's message to the employees has a note of concern to it, I think.  He is wondering what Musk is up to.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2022, 09:02:50 AM »
Could be he wants to eventually purchase a controlling interest in the company, or maybe he just wants to make some money off the stock buy.

I just saw on the TV that not being on the board means he can do a hostile takeover of the company.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2022, 09:36:46 AM »
I just saw on the TV that not being on the board means he can do a hostile takeover of the company.  =D

From your mouth to Musk's ears...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2022, 10:17:08 AM »
Either
a) He's bored with it already
b) He's got too much on his plate already
C) He's planning a hostile takeover
d) He's planning something else on his secret Bond villain island
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2022, 10:22:48 AM »
I see Musk has decided not to join the board of directors. Not enough info for me to discuss what that might mean, other than the Twitter CEO sent some internal memo out about people on the board of directors having to "work in the best interests of the company".

As a director, there would be some kind of constraint limiting him to some arbitrary percentage (around 15%, IIRC) of ownership. By not joining the board, he can buy as much as he wants.

Also, that announcement from the CEO mentioned something about directors having a "fiduciary duty." Basically, that means directors are supposed to do what's in the financial interests of the shareholders, not rock the boat. Taken together, those two factors wouod significantly tie Elon's hands if he really wants to upset the apple cart.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2022, 04:48:02 PM »
If he was on the board, he would be limited to 15% of the companies stock.

Twitter: giving twits with nothing to say a place to say it
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2022, 07:10:53 AM »
Looks like Musk is starting a hostile takeover bid...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/elon-musk-offer-buy-twitter-take-it-private
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2022, 08:10:26 AM »
Looks like Musk is starting a hostile takeover bid...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/elon-musk-offer-buy-twitter-take-it-private

This will be interesting. I'm guessing Trump is a little ticked off about it though...  :laugh:

Also I just heard on Maria Bartiromo's show that the NFT of Jack Dorsey's first tweet, which sold not long ago for $2.9 million, is currently on the market again. Current bids (all dozen of them) are ranging from $6 to $277. Tells you a little something about the worth of both NFTs, and that jackass Dorsey.  :rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2022, 08:20:00 AM »
Seren's coming out with her own line of NFTs.

She figures Non Fungible Turds is the wave of the future and, with the looming fertilizer shortage, will have greater long-term value.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2022, 08:27:21 AM »
Seren's coming out with her own line of NFTs.

She figures Non Fungible Turds is the wave of the future and, with the looming fertilizer shortage, will have greater long-term value.

I'm jumping on that bandwagon with NFFs.  Non fungible fungus. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2022, 09:02:24 AM »
Apparently, Musk wants to take the company private. This is from the SEC filing at https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001418091/000110465922045641/tm2212748d1_sc13da.htm

Bret Taylor

Chairman of the Board,

I invested in Twitter as I believe in its potential to be the platform for free speech around the globe, and I believe free speech is a societal imperative for a functioning democracy. 

However, since making my investment I now realize the company will neither thrive nor serve this societal imperative in its current form. Twitter needs to be transformed as a private company.

As a result, I am offering to buy 100% of Twitter for $54.20 per share in cash, a 54% premium over the day before I began investing in Twitter and a 38% premium over the day before my investment was publicly announced. My offer is my best and final offer and if it is not accepted, I would need to reconsider my position as a shareholder.

Twitter has extraordinary potential.  I will unlock it.

/s/ Elon Musk

He's certainly playing for keeps, although it sounds like he'd divest his shares if he can't have the whole company. I hope he succeeds in the purchase. I think it'll be difficult to keep the platform from devolving into chaos. I envision a very low signal to noise ratio would result very quickly. I'm curious what policies he'd enact.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2022, 09:11:05 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2022, 09:43:13 AM »
    I am frightened by the impact on society and politics if Elon Musk acquires Twitter. He seems to believe that on social media anything goes. For democracy to survive, we need more content moderation, not less.

— Max Boot 🇺🇦 (@MaxBoot) April 14, 2022
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/04/14/dont-like-it-build-your-own-platform-bro-max-boot-admitting-hes-frightened-of-elon-musk-allowing-free-speech-on-twitter-goes-so-wrong/

Let what he said there sink in for a moment.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2022, 09:44:14 AM »
I'm jumping on that bandwagon with NFFs.  Non fungible fungus.

That reminds me, I need to clean my shower...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2022, 09:55:18 AM »
And now I want popcorn...

Goddamn it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2022, 09:58:38 AM »
And now I want popcorn...

Goddamn it.

As long as it's not that microwave in a bag crap.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2022, 10:06:14 AM »
   I am frightened by the impact on society and politics if Elon Musk acquires Twitter. He seems to believe that on social media anything goes. For democracy to survive, we need more content moderation, not less.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/04/14/dont-like-it-build-your-own-platform-bro-max-boot-admitting-hes-frightened-of-elon-musk-allowing-free-speech-on-twitter-goes-so-wrong/

Let what he said there sink in for a moment.

But wait there's more
He decided to drag Trump into this

All the hyperventilating from Trumpist trolls in response to this post (claiming that content moderation=fascism) is a good example of the worst of social media. It’s corrosive tendencies should be curbed not amplified. Trump must never be allowed on Twitter again. https://t.co/hp8zvFfUKM

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/04/14/cope-more-max-boot-makes-things-worse-defending-his-whining-about-elon-musk-and-free-speech-by-blaming-wait-for-it-trump/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2022, 11:08:50 AM »
Musk is manspreading!!!

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/04/14/msnbc-analyst-anand-giridharadas-says-elon-musk-is-why-to-abolish-billionaires-warns-that-people-like-musk-will-manspread-economic-power/

It's both funny and scary to see the outrage of people who want to curate and control speech "to create a better society".

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2022, 02:21:51 PM »
And - total coincidence - the gov just launched multiple investigations against Musk for non-related stuff.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/14/amazing-coincidence-sec-doj-reportedly-launch-joint-investigation-into-elon-musks-company/