Author Topic: Musk and Twitter  (Read 46610 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Musk and Twitter
« Reply #275 on: May 08, 2022, 09:32:21 AM »
Steve Martin to the white courtesy privilege phone

« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 09:44:54 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #276 on: May 08, 2022, 02:14:50 PM »
"You mean I'm going to stay this color??"
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #277 on: May 08, 2022, 02:57:00 PM »
^ That was a knee-slappin' coffee-spurter.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #278 on: May 08, 2022, 07:26:29 PM »
Elon was born a poor African boy...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #279 on: May 08, 2022, 08:17:07 PM »
Elon was born a poor African boy...

So is he a nationalized citizen? If so, that makes him an African-American who has become very successful.

Put that in your statistics pipe and smoke it. The average and median wage for African-American males just went through the roof.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #280 on: May 08, 2022, 08:40:38 PM »
So is he a nationalized citizen? If so, that makes him an African-American who has become very successful.

Put that in your statistics pipe and smoke it. The average and median wage for African-American males just went through the roof.

Yes he is, immigrated from South Africa.  Big snag for the USA.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #281 on: May 13, 2022, 07:36:18 AM »
Elon putting on the brakes?

BREAKING: Elon Musk puts Twitter deal on hold pending audit of ‘spam/fake accounts’
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/05/13/breaking-elon-musk-puts-twitter-deal-on-hold-pending-audit-of-spam-fake-accounts/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #282 on: May 13, 2022, 07:43:42 AM »

BREAKING: Elon Musk puts Twitter deal on hold pending audit of ‘spam/fake accounts’
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/05/13/breaking-elon-musk-puts-twitter-deal-on-hold-pending-audit-of-spam-fake-accounts/

Makes me go back to my tinfoily idea that Musk is really wanting to destroy twitter (I approve) vs buy it. That "under 5%" is absolute bullshit. All I've heard over the last few years from twitter reps is how they have all these Russian and conservative bots running rampant on their service.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #283 on: May 13, 2022, 08:42:02 AM »
Update on that Twitchy thread as of 7:50 AM, Musk says he is still committed to the purchase.  Even so, it does make me wonder if he is having second thoughts.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #284 on: May 13, 2022, 08:53:02 AM »
Update on that Twitchy thread as of 7:50 AM, Musk says he is still committed to the purchase.  Even so, it does make me wonder if he is having second thoughts.

Confusing the enemy is part of a good plan.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #285 on: May 13, 2022, 09:02:12 AM »
Confusing the enemy is part of a good plan.

I would say they were thoroughly confused already 
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #286 on: May 13, 2022, 09:35:07 AM »
Considering how much less Musk is worth today compared to a week ago, it leaves me wondering if he will go through with the deal -- or if his funding partners will go through with the deal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #287 on: May 13, 2022, 09:43:42 AM »
Yeah, the bots/fake users thing isn't new so there's no reason for that to cause a hitch now. What has changed is the financing.
Musk’s net worth, which makes him the world’s richest man, has fallen by around $50 billion in recent weeks, according to Forbes’ real-time wealth index. And Tesla stock has shed nearly 30 percent of its value in just the past month.

Musk disclosed more than $7 billion of financing last week from sources including investment firms, the Oracle founder Larry Ellison, the cryptocurrency exchange Binance, the Qatar sovereign wealth fund, and Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal.

Now, Musk has been seeking out additional investments beyond what he had initially planned, because of the economic downturn and the weakening of Tesla’s stock price
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #288 on: May 13, 2022, 06:20:32 PM »

Thought: The bots might be less than 5% of total user accounts, but what % of viewed tweets do they account for?  If the bots are still drowning out real voices then it doesn't matter what the account ratio is, the outcome is still the same.  The ratios of real people posts seen versus bot posts seen is what needs discernment.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #289 on: May 13, 2022, 06:42:57 PM »
And now we got our Minister of "Truth" saying people like her should be allowed to edit people's tweets to correct any misinformation.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #290 on: May 13, 2022, 08:18:59 PM »
How did today's launch go? Moare Interwebz?
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #291 on: May 16, 2022, 01:12:12 PM »

The cognative dissonance is strong with this one.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #292 on: May 16, 2022, 02:22:30 PM »
Wait for it
 :rofl:

Elon Musk gives Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal’s lengthy thread on spam the only response he feels it deserves
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/05/16/elon-musk-gives-twitter-ceo-parag-agrawals-lengthy-thread-on-spam-the-only-response-he-feels-it-deserves/
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #293 on: May 16, 2022, 04:04:33 PM »
Thought: The bots might be less than 5% of total user accounts, but what % of viewed tweets do they account for?  If the bots are still drowning out real voices then it doesn't matter what the account ratio is, the outcome is still the same.  The ratios of real people posts seen versus bot posts seen is what needs discernment.
I heard they did the 5% claim on a Monday.  Starting Thursday or Friday before that, almost everyone on the right side of things reported an increase in twitter interaction and likes, more followers, and people with suspended accounts were reinstated.  On the left, a lot of people lost followers.  It was suspected that twitter went out of their way to try to get the Bot numbers down before the Monday report. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #294 on: May 16, 2022, 04:38:28 PM »
Hmmm

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
May 14
Very important to fix your Twitter feed:

1. Tap home button.
2. Tap stars on upper right of screen.
3. Select “Latest tweets”.

You are being manipulated by the algorithm in ways you don’t realize.

Easy to switch back & forth to see the difference.
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
May 14
Replying to
@elonmusk
(This message brought to you by the Illuminaughty)
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1525612988115320838
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
May 15
I’m not suggesting malice in the algorithm, but rather that it’s trying to guess what you might want to read and, in doing so, inadvertently manipulate/amplify your viewpoints without you realizing this is happening
Show this thread

After that it quickly goes south including Buffalo being brought up
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »
About that 5% bot thing,

Later Friday, Musk tweeted that he was conducting a random sampling of 100 accounts to check how many were not legitimate, noting he used that number because “that is what Twitter uses to calculate

On Saturday, he tweeted: “Twitter legal just called to complain that I violated their NDA by revealing the bot check sample size is 100! This actually happened.”

The Tesla Inc. TSLA, -5.88% chief executive again questioned Twitter’s numbers in a tweet Saturday, saying “I have yet to see *any* analysis that has fake/spam/duplicates at later added “There is some chance it might be over 90% of daily active users, which is the metric that matters to advertisers.”

Musk doubts Twitter’s numbers, ponders if over 90% of service’s daily active users are fake
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-musk-continues-to-rail-against-twitter-bots-says-company-accused-him-of-breaking-nda-11652655718?mod=home-page

Wait, What?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2022, 12:46:13 PM »
Apparently Twitter employees work like four hours a week and can take a couple months off whenever for "mental health" or because they're not into working. They are going to hate working for Musk.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/05/17/bombshell-twitter-employee-spills-the-twitter-beans-about-censoring-the-right-and-fearing-elon-musk-in-damning-project-veritas-video-watch/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2022, 01:43:24 PM »
Elon:  "The real president is whoever controls the teleprompter"

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/elon-musk-biden-real-president-teleprompter

Well, he's not wrong.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2022, 02:50:00 PM »
There's a story on the Daily Caller where Musk claims he doesn't remember ever voting Republican before, but he intends to this year.

https://dailycaller.com/2022/05/17/elon-musk-voting-republican-not-democrat/
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2022, 03:52:19 PM »
Elon:  "The real president is whoever controls the teleprompter"

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/elon-musk-biden-real-president-teleprompter

Well, he's not wrong.

The real president must not be very happy right now, as the current mouthpieces are really bad at reading the prompter.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife