Author Topic: Musk and Twitter  (Read 46570 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Musk and Twitter
« Reply #375 on: June 06, 2022, 11:44:43 AM »
Musk is again threatening to walk away from the Twitter purchase due to them not releasing realistic data on the percentage of bots on the platform.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2022/06/06/musk-hints-he-could-walk-away-from-twitter-deal-over-bots/?sh=5827b9f234d7

I think if they do release realistic data on bots, it'll tank their advertiser income, and might open the board to civil and criminal penalties.  The folks that pay Twitter do it because they expect a certain number of real humans to be influenced.  If that number is grossly inflated, they won't be happy.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #376 on: June 06, 2022, 11:49:04 AM »
Now if Musk does walk away do you think twitter will have learnt it's lesson to not be so political in how they screened posts and accounts or that they'll merely double down on it while crowing how they defeated the big bad right wing wolf.
I think the latter.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #377 on: June 06, 2022, 12:25:27 PM »
My understanding is that "walking away" is not that simple.
The big picture: Musk has a contractual obligation to buy Twitter at the agreed price, and he can certainly afford to do so.

A lot of attention has focused on the $1 billion termination fee in the short-form merger agreement. Fewer people have looked at the section on "specific performance" in the long-form merger plan that basically says: "If you try to back out of this, we can take you to court in Delaware, and the court will force you to buy the company at the agreed price."
Between the lines: Such language is particularly germane in cases like this, where the buyer has the ability to pay in full. (Even if he has to sell a large chunk of Tesla stock to get the cash he needs.)

The key precedent is IBP Inc. v. Tyson Foods Inc, with Don Tyson of Tyson Foods playing the role of Elon Musk. He tried to back out of an agreed acquisition of IBP, but in 2001 was forced to buy the company anyway by the Delaware Chancery Court.
Obviously it's hard to predict how things might go in court, and Musk certainly has the resources to fund an extended legal battle, but it seems like this bot thing should have been worked out (or at least specifically addressed in the contract) before it got this far. It's not really a new thing and Musk himself has tweeted about verifying real human users and cleaning up the bots. I guess that's assuming he's not just lying / manipulating though.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #378 on: June 06, 2022, 01:55:02 PM »
My understanding is that the bot thing WAS addressed in the agreement.  Twitter estimated some number of bots (~5% of accounts IIRC), and it is now being discovered that they either knew the number was much larger and lied (big trouble) or didn't have an accurate count of the bots (just incompetent).

Of course the whole bruhaha may be just a way to keep the merger in peoples minds, or made up by people that earn their living by the word.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #379 on: June 06, 2022, 02:53:29 PM »
No dog in the fight of course, so I’ll just grab some shares in ConAgra and be entertained.

I hope that my the end Twitter is a small shell of its former self, and more than a few executives lose their gravy train.  Whether Musk ends owning Twitter and if he ends up richer or poorer in the end makes no difference to me.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #380 on: June 06, 2022, 03:15:44 PM »
My understanding is that the bot thing WAS addressed in the agreement.  Twitter estimated some number of bots (~5% of accounts IIRC), and it is now being discovered that they either knew the number was much larger and lied (big trouble) or didn't have an accurate count of the bots (just incompetent).

Has anything new come out?
More important, nothing has changed about the bot problem since Musk signed the merger agreement. Twitter has published the same qualified estimate—that fewer than 5 percent of monetizable accounts are fake—for the last eight years. Musk knew those estimates and declined to do any nonpublic due diligence before signing the merger agreement. He knew about the spam bot problem before signing the merger agreement, as we know because he talked about it constantly, including while announcing the merger agreement. If he didn't want to buy Twitter because there are spam bots, he should not have signed a contract to buy Twitter. No new information has come to light about spam bots in the last three weeks.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2022, 03:43:03 PM »
I don't think so, publicly anyway.  Twitter claims 5%, Musk says BS, drama ensues.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #382 on: June 08, 2022, 04:22:37 PM »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #383 on: June 08, 2022, 07:06:20 PM »
They're gonna try to bury him with data, probably completely scrambled...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #384 on: June 14, 2022, 08:31:31 PM »
Elon calling for an all hands twitter staff meeting Thursday

Elon Musk Will Speak With Twitter’s Staff for the First Time This Week
https://www.barrons.com/articles/elon-musk-twitter-meeting-51655192959

Elon Musk INVADES Twitter All Hands On Deck Meeting & He Is NOT Happy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UMVvRFfhmU
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #385 on: June 15, 2022, 03:03:10 PM »
Elon said he's leaning toward DeSantis for 2024
The libs have flipped their lid

Meanwhile DeSantis

Just asked @GovRonDeSantis about @elonmusk saying he would vote for DeSantis if he were to run for POTUS:
    He said, “I’m focused on 2022. But always appreciate the support from African Americans.” @FOX13News

— Dan Matics (@danmaticsFOX) June 15, 2022
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #386 on: June 15, 2022, 04:07:40 PM »
But always appreciate the support from African Americans.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #387 on: June 16, 2022, 12:44:01 PM »
Live highlights from the Muskorama at Twitter..

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/16/elon-musk-is-addressing-twitter-employees-live-updates-from-the-meeting.html

Elon Musk on free speech

Elon on free speech (paraphrased): People should be allowed to say racist things but that doesn’t mean Twitter should promote it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #388 on: June 16, 2022, 01:50:24 PM »
Live highlights from the Muskorama at Twitter..

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/16/elon-musk-is-addressing-twitter-employees-live-updates-from-the-meeting.html

Elon Musk on free speech

Elon on free speech (paraphrased): People should be allowed to say racist things but that doesn’t mean Twitter should promote it.

Yup.

If people don’t like what someone says they can unfollow them or block them from their feed.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #389 on: June 17, 2022, 04:46:26 PM »
Now he's done it. He said All Lives Matter. Nuclear meltdown at twitter ensues.
Also info on the SX dustup. Apparently they were pressuring other employees to sign a woke letter condemning  Elon over twitter.

Elon Musk Just Caused A Full Blown Meltdown At Twitter & FIRED Entitled Space X Employees!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFLcnCYO3p4
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #390 on: June 18, 2022, 06:53:06 AM »
Jesus Christ, a 12-minute Game of Thrones knockoff for that news?

FTS.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #391 on: June 18, 2022, 12:32:16 PM »
Jesus Christ, a 12-minute Game of Thrones knockoff for that news?

FTS.

Brought to you by the guy who almost never looks at the camera when speaking. Am I the only person in the universe who finds that to be distracting and creepy?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #392 on: June 18, 2022, 02:02:53 PM »
Brought to you by the guy who almost never looks at the camera when speaking. Am I the only person in the universe who finds that to be distracting and creepy?
Not creepy to me, but looking at the camera would be better.  You always seem to go for the most charged and provocative words to us when describing people.   =)

I figure has his notes/script/article on the screen and is looking that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #393 on: June 18, 2022, 02:44:13 PM »
So who is the Quartering guy, anyway? I'm guessing a video game toober that got into political talk? And what's a quartering?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #394 on: June 18, 2022, 02:54:08 PM »
Not creepy to me, but looking at the camera would be better.  You always seem to go for the most charged and provocative words to us when describing people.   =)

I figure has his notes/script/article on the screen and is looking that.

He's not looking anywhere near the screen most of the time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #395 on: June 18, 2022, 03:03:00 PM »
Maybe he had acting training, where one is "vigorously" trained to not look at the camera.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #396 on: June 18, 2022, 03:40:21 PM »
Thinking as he speaks.  Staring off somewhere while the brain is doing heavy processing.

It is a good sign that he isn't giving premade answers; also probably a very high functioning autist.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #397 on: June 18, 2022, 06:40:05 PM »
Quartering?

He got Swatted. Good enough for me.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #398 on: June 19, 2022, 10:37:36 AM »
I do appreciate that the coffee brand he sells isn't called Real Manly Man Coffee That's Not For Weaklings, which seems to be the brand name of every other coffee being sold by right-of-center toobers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #399 on: June 19, 2022, 10:41:55 AM »
I do appreciate that the coffee brand he sells isn't called Real Manly Man Coffee That's Not For Weaklings, which seems to be the brand name of every other coffee being sold by right-of-center toobers.

Or liberals wanting to make money off suckers on the right
- Calvin and Hobbes