Author Topic: Musk and Twitter  (Read 46658 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Musk and Twitter
« Reply #400 on: June 20, 2022, 07:43:57 AM »
^  "Or liberals wanting to make money off suckers on the right."

Past them I would not it put.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #401 on: July 08, 2022, 08:39:37 AM »
Apparently Musk has a keeping it in his pants problem.
Latest is twins with one of his executives. Think I saw that makes 9 now.

And as far as twitter is concerned.

Gerrit De Vynck
@GerritD
NEW - Elon's deal to buy Twitter is in serious jeopardy. His team now believes they won't be able to confirm Twitter's numbers on how many spam bots are on the site, something Elon has said he needs to know before moving forward. W/ @faizsays
https://twitter.com/GerritD/status/1545146952118964224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1545146952118964224%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitchy.com%2Fgregp-3534%2F2022%2F07%2F07%2Ftaylor-lorenz-calls-out-elon-musk-for-procreating%2F
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #403 on: July 08, 2022, 05:36:12 PM »
And Musk has cancelled the deal:
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/08/elon-musk-notifies-twitter-he-is-terminating-deal.html

Billionaire Elon Musk wants to end his deal to buy Twitter, according to a letter sent by a lawyer on his behalf to the company’s chief legal officer Friday.

In the letter, disclosed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing, Skadden Arps attorney Mike Ringler charged that “Twitter has not complied with its contractual obligations.”

Ringler claimed that Twitter did not provide Musk with relevant business information he requested, as Ringler said the contract would require. Musk has previously said he wanted to assess Twitter’s claims that about 5% of its monetizable daily active users (mDAUs) are spam accounts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #404 on: July 08, 2022, 06:07:19 PM »
I joined when Musk said he was buying it but haven't posted anything. I guess I need to start posting and see how long I last.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #405 on: July 08, 2022, 07:06:36 PM »

Good. I hope the employee's last sentence is correct and that they never recover.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #406 on: July 08, 2022, 08:09:56 PM »
From my limited experience, Twitter appears to be a horrible place that exists so strangers can viciously insult each other?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #407 on: July 08, 2022, 09:40:40 PM »
From my limited experience, Twitter appears to be a horrible place that exists so strangers can viciously insult each other?

It gives twits with nothing to say a place to say it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #408 on: July 08, 2022, 10:45:18 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #409 on: July 08, 2022, 11:01:26 PM »
I joined when Musk said he was buying it but haven't posted anything. I guess I need to start posting and see how long I last.

@bogiestl
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #410 on: July 09, 2022, 08:39:38 AM »
Twitter says it’s going to sue Elon Musk for trying to back out of the deal
https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/8/23201004/twitter-to-sue-elon-musk-for-backing-out-of-merger

So, if Twitter sues Elon, wouldn't this open them up to discovery?  I guess it depends on if they were up front with him on all the information.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #411 on: July 09, 2022, 08:44:27 AM »
So, if Twitter sues Elon, wouldn't this open them up to discovery?  I guess it depends on if they were up front with him on all the information.

Well, discovery of the stuff they didn't "wipe with like a cloth or something".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #412 on: July 09, 2022, 09:15:25 AM »
Elon Musk did not killed himself
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #413 on: July 09, 2022, 09:31:04 AM »
In my view, these companies do not produce anything of tangible worth. The BS they foster, produce, spread, and tout is nothing more than that. They profit only on emotion. The drop in value shows it to be true. Musk might still purchase TwitsOnPrarade when it can be had for its current ethereal value. !5 billion or so saved is 15 or so billion earned.

Woody

"Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #414 on: July 10, 2022, 08:09:10 AM »
In my view, these companies do not produce anything of tangible worth. The BS they foster, produce, spread, and tout is nothing more than that. They profit only on emotion. The drop in value shows it to be true. Musk might still purchase TwitsOnPrarade when it can be had for its current ethereal value. !5 billion or so saved is 15 or so billion earned.

Woody

This is remarkably naive. These companies clearly produce something of value because the customers of social media companies pay billions of dollars for their product. And plenty of people who are very good at making money highly value social media companies and their stocks.

Among other things they produce highly accurate and sophisticated models of what their users will watch and react to. They sell the ability to reach very precisely target groups of people. Twitter openly has the ability to swing a US election at least a couple points. And who knows what else their algorithm has compiled that they sell.  All of theses things have value.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #415 on: July 10, 2022, 09:34:26 AM »

Good. I hope the employee's last sentence is correct and that they never recover.

When I was living out in Suburbia (Wentzville), I had a neighbor who was some sort of union rep at Ford's plant in St. Louis. He was laid off/striking/something... Lots of free time.

We were sitting in my living room, having a cold one following some yard work, when the news announced that Ford was closing all St. Louis operations.

He looked at me, smiled, and announced "Looks like we won!"

Well, the bank got his house.

Blog under construction

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #416 on: July 10, 2022, 05:59:57 PM »
This is remarkably naive. These companies clearly produce something of value because the customers of social media companies pay billions of dollars for their product. And plenty of people who are very good at making money highly value social media companies and their stocks.

Among other things they produce highly accurate and sophisticated models of what their users will watch and react to. They sell the ability to reach very precisely target groups of people. Twitter openly has the ability to swing a US election at least a couple points. And who knows what else their algorithm has compiled that they sell.  All of theses things have value.

What has any of these social media companies ever produced that you can eat, drive, shelter under, wear, or even wipe with? The only thing they make is money off ads, and that is ethereal - not tangible.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #417 on: July 10, 2022, 06:44:38 PM »
So they did every thing they could to block Musk from buying twitter and are now suing him for not buying twitter.
Sounds about right.
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #418 on: July 10, 2022, 07:00:11 PM »
So they did every thing they could to block Musk from buying twitter and are now suing him for not buying twitter.
Sounds about right.

They didn’t want him until they couldn’t stop being exposed for the financial frauds they are.  Now they want to force the sale because otherwise they also lose massive amounts of wealth built on their decade of bullshit.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #419 on: July 10, 2022, 07:03:59 PM »
What has any of these social media companies ever produced that you can eat, drive, shelter under, wear, or even wipe with? The only thing they make is money off ads, and that is ethereal - not tangible.

Woody
You could say the same about a book, except maybe the part about wiping with it. 

The rumor I hear is Twitter is paid by the CIA or some of other part of the govt to push opinions and narratives.  I imagine politicians and other organizations do the same.  Pay to get their posts and opinions favored in the algorithms so people see them similar to people paying Google to be favored in searches.  That is over and above the aggregate information they have on their users that can be used for advertising or politics to target ads or craft messages.

Yes, it is not a tangible product, but it is still considered valuable by many and can be used for profit.  Now, is it worth what Elon was originally offering?  I hear it is not, but still quite a bit.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #420 on: July 10, 2022, 10:00:46 PM »
You could say the same about a book, except maybe the part about wiping with it. 

The rumor I hear is Twitter is paid by the CIA or some of other part of the govt to push opinions and narratives.  I imagine politicians and other organizations do the same.  Pay to get their posts and opinions favored in the algorithms so people see them similar to people paying Google to be favored in searches.  That is over and above the aggregate information they have on their users that can be used for advertising or politics to target ads or craft messages.

Yes, it is not a tangible product, but it is still considered valuable by many and can be used for profit.  Now, is it worth what Elon was originally offering?  I hear it is not, but still quite a bit.

I believe you are right. I see that Twitter, like the MSM, is where news and events are filtered through a bovine sphincter for the nose blind. (That's a metaphor - in case you are wondering...)

Woody

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #421 on: July 10, 2022, 10:58:24 PM »
You know those television programs and movies you see?

There are commercials - and there is also "product placement."

The hero drinks Sparky Soda. He's driving a Burnmobile. He wears Duperjeans.

And those are all paying...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #422 on: July 11, 2022, 06:48:11 AM »
From the office of Elon Musk

:rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #423 on: July 11, 2022, 06:56:17 AM »

Woody

We're decades into the information age and people still don't recognize how valuable their information is, how much of their information is harvested, and how much of that information is sold.

YOU are the commodity. Ads are a nice sideline, but for companies like Twitter and Facebook, the millions of data points of behavioral information that you willingly provide to them is absolute gold.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #424 on: July 11, 2022, 09:24:33 AM »
I think all of this was planned, and that Musk played them brilliantly. My thoughts are echoed somewhat in the meme WLJ posted, but go even deeper on the financial side. I think he made the ridiculously high offer to buy knowing full well they wouldn't be able, or in this case willing, to provide the necessary "bot rot" documentation. He did it with the intention of creating a problem that drove stock price way down so he could snap up a bunch at discount prices. It's a giant middle finger to a company he feels wronged by.

First, put in the offer and get people thinking Twitter is about to explode upward so they buy up a bunch of stock (shareholder base dilution). Create minor hiccups along the way to start seeding caution and concern. Push one big problem (nondisclosure) to cement shareholder's concerns that something is wrong, creating panic and fomenting a stock plummet. Then, when stock is way, way down, kill the deal on a solid contract technicality. That leaves him free to rush back in and buy stock on the open market. That $40 billion committed to the deal will now buy twice as much.

He knows a lawsuit will force disclosure, and that Twitter will get their butts handed to them by the courts when the same stonewalling occurs. Even if it does develop into a full court battle, he still wins.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB