Author Topic: Musk and Twitter  (Read 46645 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Musk and Twitter
« Reply #425 on: July 11, 2022, 09:46:47 AM »
I think all of this was planned,

I'm not 100% on board with "Planned", but I want to be. My hope has always been that Musk was willing to blow a couple of billion ducats to either knock twitter the *expletive deleted*ck out, or at least expose them, rather than buy and take them over.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #426 on: July 11, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »
I'm not 100% on board with "Planned", but I want to be. My hope has always been that Musk was willing to blow a couple of billion ducats to either knock twitter the *expletive deleted*ck out, or at least expose them, rather than buy and take them over.

And I don't think he actually planned on running it day to day either. Probably appoint one of his soon to be pregnant executives to run it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #427 on: July 11, 2022, 10:53:39 AM »
Saying he planned for this to happen is not likely.  Saying he saw potential outcomes and covered his bases might be very likely. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #428 on: July 11, 2022, 10:57:53 AM »
Saying he planned for this to happen is not likely.  Saying he saw potential outcomes and covered his bases might be very likely. 

Either way Twitter gets its comeuppance and he comes out smelling like a rose.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #429 on: July 11, 2022, 01:13:28 PM »

We're decades into the information age and people still don't recognize how valuable their information is, how much of their information is harvested, and how much of that information is sold.

YOU are the commodity. Ads are a nice sideline, but for companies like Twitter and Facebook, the millions of data points of behavioral information that you willingly provide to them is absolute gold.

If the service is free to use YOU are the product!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #430 on: July 11, 2022, 04:24:18 PM »
Elon Musk Backs Out Of Twitter Deal After Realizing He Can Read The Babylon Bee By Going Directly To Their Website
https://babylonbee.com/news/elon-musk-backs-out-of-twitter-deal-after-realizing-he-can-read-the-babylon-bee-by-going-directly-to-their-website

At publishing time, The Babylon Bee announced their website is now for sale for a mere $4 billion.

:rofl:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #431 on: July 11, 2022, 05:20:28 PM »

We're decades into the information age and people still don't recognize how valuable their information is, how much of their information is harvested, and how much of that information is sold.

YOU are the commodity. Ads are a nice sideline, but for companies like Twitter and Facebook, the millions of data points of behavioral information that you willingly provide to them is absolute gold.

There's always been a lot of complaining about people that make money without making a physical product, or providing certain kinds of services. Finance companies and stock brokers are a common target. But of course, a lot of those complaining still want to have some kind of retirement account, or to borrow money for houses and cars and such. And though I don't enjoy using Facebook or the other big socials, a lot of small businesses rely on them. They're clearly useful to a whole lot of people, and not just for personal stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #432 on: July 11, 2022, 07:26:29 PM »
Got curious

Who is #1 Twitter follower?
@BarackObama
Most followed accounts on Twitter
Rank   Account name   Followers (millions)
1   @BarackObama   132.2
2   @justinbieber   114.1
3   @katyperry   108.8
4   @rihanna   107.0
49 more rows

Full list at

List of most-followed Twitter accounts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-followed_Twitter_accounts

Musk is #6 at 100.9 mil
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #433 on: July 11, 2022, 10:44:33 PM »
I have noticed that if you say something against The Progressive Way, you'll get dozens piling on, telling you that you're lower than whale doo...

And 95%, or more, have under a dozen followers.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #434 on: July 12, 2022, 08:27:13 AM »
If the service is free to use YOU are the product!

Even if the service isn't free you are still the product.

We routinely get requests to buy our member and email lists at TFL. At one time we were also getting requests from companies that wanted to put sniffers on the platform.

Some of them, when TFL was REALLY active, were offering HUGE money and they just couldn't understand why we wouldn't want to line our pockets by selling out our members' privacy.

Had one guy actually get more than a little snippy with me. And that's all it took for me to break out all of my charm.  :mad:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #435 on: July 12, 2022, 08:35:01 AM »
There's always been a lot of complaining about people that make money without making a physical product, or providing certain kinds of services. Finance companies and stock brokers are a common target. But of course, a lot of those complaining still want to have some kind of retirement account, or to borrow money for houses and cars and such. And though I don't enjoy using Facebook or the other big socials, a lot of small businesses rely on them. They're clearly useful to a whole lot of people, and not just for personal stuff.

Don't worry, no one enjoys it when you use Facebook, either. :rofl:

Data mining and analysis has been around for a LOT longer than people realize.

Herman Hollerith really kicked it off hard when he introduced punch cards and tabulating machines that would allow quick accumulation and summation of a lot of data points really quickly.

It's just been getting more and more invasive ever since.

And yeah, the provider and consumer are firmly connected.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #436 on: July 12, 2022, 09:04:02 AM »
"if twitter has lots of bots then that's good"  :O

https://twitter.com/WholeMarsBlog/status/1546549205983846400
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #437 on: July 12, 2022, 11:31:29 AM »
How do you feel about TV ratings?

I was once a Nielsen Family.

I would always make sure the TV was on for American Gladiators and for Roller Derby stuff.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #438 on: July 13, 2022, 03:13:30 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #439 on: July 13, 2022, 03:20:01 PM »
I love the comments under that...

"Why not put solar panels in space?"

"To power what?"

ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGERS! DUH, YOU RACIST LUDDITE PLANET HATER!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #440 on: July 13, 2022, 10:39:35 PM »
MSNBC to Musk
    Imagine the positive impact you could have on the world if you used the extraordinary amount of influence and power you have to spread decency, kindness and positivity?
    — Stephanie Ruhle (@SRuhle) July 13, 2022

Musk to MSNBC
    Imagine if MSNBC did that
    — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 13, 2022
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/juliorosas/2022/07/13/elon-musk-embarrasses-msnbc-host-with-one-tweet-n2610194

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #441 on: July 13, 2022, 11:27:14 PM »
Lib math

Sunil Adhikari
@SunilAd94214293
Replying to
@elonmusk
 and
@shacknews
Musk spent $44 Billion on Twitter.   The World's population is 8 billion.   He could have given each person $5 billion and still have money leftover.  I feel like a cheque for $5 billion would be life changing for most people. Yet he wasted it all on Twitter

:facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #442 on: July 13, 2022, 11:30:24 PM »

Shacknews
@shacknews
·
7h
Twitter (TWTR) submits Elon Musk poop emoji tweet as evidence of disparaging behavior

:facepalm: :facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2022, 06:58:55 AM »
MSNBC to Musk
Musk to MSNBChttps://townhall.com/tipsheet/juliorosas/2022/07/13/elon-musk-embarrasses-msnbc-host-with-one-tweet-n2610194

MSNBC to Musk...

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #444 on: July 14, 2022, 08:37:11 AM »
Looks like twtter just went down

https://downdetector.com/status/twitter/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #445 on: July 14, 2022, 08:39:57 AM »
Is Twitter down? Massive outage reported on social media site
https://abc7.com/twitter-down-right-now-is-detector-over-capacity/12051199/
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #446 on: July 14, 2022, 09:13:27 AM »
IT'S TRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #447 on: July 14, 2022, 11:39:36 AM »
Back up now

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #448 on: July 14, 2022, 11:42:58 AM »
Back up now

The world can breathe easy now.  We're all saved.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #449 on: July 14, 2022, 11:43:41 AM »
Back up now

Alright everyone! Stop talking to your neighbors and go back to your basements. The emergency is over.
- Calvin and Hobbes