Author Topic: USS The Sullivans sinking at pierside  (Read 2479 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: USS The Sullivans sinking at pierside
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 07:36:46 PM »
Straight line winds?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2022, 07:43:46 PM »
I often view the weather on my phone. Last week - or so - it was claimed that Climate Change (gasp!) was responsible for the ship taking on water.

Apparently, (a word I’ve since forgotten, but meaning strong straight wind for an extended period) can push lake water as though a tide does, raising the water level downwind. That’s what is sinking the Sullivan.

JB

I guess thinking rust had anything to do with it makes me a science denier
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2022, 08:52:54 PM »
I was thinking egregious lack of maintenance due to gross incompetence and negligence.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2022, 08:58:56 PM »
I often view the weather on my phone. Last week - or so - it was claimed that Climate Change (gasp!) was responsible for the ship taking on water.

Apparently, (a word I’ve since forgotten, but meaning strong straight wind for an extended period) can push lake water as though a tide does, raising the water level downwind. That’s what is sinking the Sullivan.

But ... but ... but ... the USS The Sullivans is a ship. It's supposed to float. The water level shouldn't matter (unless, of course, there are 34 holes in the hull).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2022, 01:18:27 AM »
I was thinking egregious lack of maintenance due to gross incompetence and negligence no money.

The facts of the matter.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2022, 08:19:02 AM »
Efforts to preserve the artifacts on board the ship

Despite 'considerable' damage in USS The Sullivans, Buffalo Naval Park hopes to preserve artifacts
https://buffalonews.com/news/local/despite-considerable-damage-in-uss-the-sullivans-buffalo-naval-park-hopes-to-preserve-artifacts/article_e8dd09a4-d068-11ec-8d46-eb7ff054f77f.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2022, 10:39:18 AM »
But ... but ... but ... the USS The Sullivans is a ship. It's supposed to float. The water level shouldn't matter (unless, of course, there are 34 holes in the hull).

Not all museum ships are floating. The Yorktown (CV-10) is sunken into the mud riverbed and has significant holes at the wind/waterline.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2022, 06:11:18 PM »
Not all museum ships are floating. The Yorktown (CV-10) is sunken into the mud riverbed and has significant holes at the wind/waterline.

I think I remember that the battleship Texas is similarly landlocked.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2022, 06:38:05 PM »
I think I remember that the battleship Texas is similarly landlocked.

In Texas' case it is welded to pilings. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2022, 08:35:27 PM »

I must have it confused with another old warship. I have a fuzzy recollection of reading about a ship that had a "dockage" dredged, the ship was moved in, and then the lagoon was filled around the ship. Just read an article about the Texas, and there is a plan in progress to restore the hull and then find a new location for her.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2022, 08:50:39 PM »
In any case, these ships really need to go into permanent graving docks where they are out of the water while also having the sides of the hull held in place by horizontal supports.  They can't stay in the corroding environment forever.  No matter what you do it will eventually dissolve the ship's hull. 

Probably the cheapest way to do this is to coffer dam the vessels in situ, stabilize the hull with temporary shoring and then build the graving dock around them.  Some of these ships are in such a bad way that this is really the only option as they are unmovable, as in they would break up under the stresses of being moved.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2022, 08:58:21 PM »
The USS Batfish (SS 310) at Muskogee, OK is land locked. A couple of years ago we had historic flooding 8n the area and the Batfish was refloated in the flood waters. It damn near took off down the river. It suffered considerable damage from water incursion. Last I heard they plan to move it a few miles down the river to a better/safer location.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2022, 03:10:12 AM »
Re the USS Constitution:

Its combat systems probably are more resistant to EMP than those on any of our other warships.

And even IBPs.  (Iron Ball Pulses.) :)

Interesting to find out that since she's still Commissioned, she's maintained in terms of seaworthiness.  I knew she was still Commissioned, I just didn't realize that the maintenance went along with it.  She probably brings in a pretty penny in admission fees, too.

Back to Topic:

Kind of a tragic story about the sinking of the Sullivan brothers' ship the USS Juneau.  They joined the Navy the January following the Pearl Harbor sneaky attack with the provision that they served together:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_brothers#History

Sad story for all the ship's survivors. The ten remaining in the water were rescued by --naturally -- a PBY*, and thus there were ten more short prayers going "Thank G-d for the PBY."

Terry, 230RN

* Consolidated Catalina Seaplane
https://youtu.be/xTWp-iNyw0U (0:49)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 06:23:10 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2022, 10:02:01 AM »
The story I heard was the Texas has had flooding issues for a while and pumps were in place to keep the water under control.  The corrosion isn't just to he hull, but the support structure inside.  If they tried to dry dock the ship, it would collapse.  I believe that has been the efforts over the last year or more is to shore things up so the ship could survive the trip to the dry dock.  Last update the ship was almost ready, but the dry dock in Galveston was still getting set up and ready.  That was from February and it was supposed to be in dry dock by now.  Delays I guess.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2022, 01:39:37 PM »
Drach live

Impromptu Live From USS The Sullivans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtZ8slvEwNI
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2022, 02:10:41 PM »
I thought he was already back from his US trip.  What was the original live date?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2022, 02:13:09 PM »
I thought he was already back from his US trip.  What was the original live date?

He's currently on his Canada trip and made a short trip across the border to see the USS TS.
He was saying in a video or two that was his plan while in Canada.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2022, 02:25:03 PM »
I had forgotten about his Canada trip.  I haven't listened to the last dry dock so I am behind.  Thanks.   =)

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2022, 04:57:00 PM »
58 holes plugged
- Calvin and Hobbes