Author Topic: Shredding chicken breast... with a WHAT?  (Read 1248 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Shredding chicken breast... with a WHAT?
« on: April 10, 2022, 07:32:07 PM »
Saw on the intertoobs claims that you can very effectively shred roasted chicken breast using the beaters on your hand or stand mixer.

Just shook my head at that one, but decided to give it a try, and holy balls does it work!

I first tried this a couple of weeks ago. I ran a half dozen skinless boneless chicken breasts through the crockpot on low for 6 hours. Perfectly shredded all 6 of them in less than 5 minutes.

Tried it again yesterday.  I ran 5 chicken breasts through my immersion cooker for 6 hours at 155.

They were a bit more difficult to shred, and didn't shred as finely, probably because the connective tissue hadn't finished breaking down, but I still have well shredded chicken breast for pulled chicken sandwiches for lunch this week.

And all with a simple hand mixer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Shredding chicken breast... with a WHAT?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 07:47:09 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Been doing a lot of lunch salads lately.  Adding some shredded chicken would be great.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 02:51:18 PM »
Been doing that for years.  Meat needs to be at least warm.  Doesn’t work very well if you chill the meat (e.g. trying to shred leftovers after a day in the fridge).

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »
I thought everybody knew this trick. ;)

bob

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 03:43:17 PM »
Been doing that for years.  Meat needs to be at least warm.  Doesn’t work very well if you chill the meat (e.g. trying to shred leftovers after a day in the fridge).

All this.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 05:55:57 PM »
Yeah, I knew that it wouldn't work if the meat was chilled. That gives all of the tissues and gelatin time to set back up. You really can't effectively shred any meat after it's been chilled.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.