Author Topic: Ham for Easter dinner  (Read 1246 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Ham for Easter dinner
« on: April 16, 2022, 12:05:39 PM »
Picked up another one of the Aldi spiral cut hams for .87 per pound. Even though it is pre cooked, I will rub it all over with some yellow mustard and liberally dust with a dry rub pork BBQ seasoning with some brown sugar. The glaze packet that comes with it will go straight to the trash.
Couple hours over charcoal with a little hickory in the pit barrel on a low and slow and it will be delicious.
Leftovers for some grilled ham and cheese sammiches and the bone and some of the meat will become my wife’s excellent ham and beans.
The sweet potatoes and fresh asparagus etc will be on the table also.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Ham for Easter dinner
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 12:09:34 PM »
Sounds great!

I'm making schnitzel and dumplings with jaeger sauce this year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 12:46:28 PM »
I'm also doing a ham this year, only I'm doing mine with sauerkraut and I'm going to make mashed potato dumplings to go with it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 06:32:33 PM »
I am taking a bottle of wine across the street and trade it for food of some sort. They do keto so I am not sure what will be there.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 08:59:54 PM »
Is wine keto?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 11:42:28 PM »
Is wine keto?

Oddly enough, it is in moderation as long as it's a dry wine.  Most beer is not keto because it has carbs in addition to the alcohol.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 08:35:25 AM »
Well grab yourself a dry Reisling and party!

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 10:23:22 AM »
Oddly enough, it is in moderation as long as it's a dry wine.  Most beer is not keto because it has carbs in addition to the alcohol.

Corona Premier is lo-carb and tastes so much better than that Michelob Ultra swill.  Makes a great commodity for keto friends

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 08:12:34 AM »
My mashed potato dumplings waterlogged. I'm not sure why. They had a good flavor, and a couple of them had a nice consistency, but for the most part they were way too wet and loose. I'm bummed.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 09:46:13 AM »
Delicious was my ham.
Ben, on the schnitzel. Years ago my wife had tickets for a “friends of the library” annual event with dinner and music in our town’s beautiful historic Carnegie library. She was seated with some nice widows and I was deer hunting and arrived a little late. She was conversing with the ladies and explained that I was deer hunting and would be along.
One lady had grown up in Austria or Transylvania or somewhere with a tradition of Bavarian hunting. When I got there she wanted to talk about venison hunting butchering cooking etc. I offered to bring her some meat. She insisted it had to be FRESH, never frozen.
A week later I arrowed a nice big doe and took her some smaller packages of meat (her being a live alone widow and all). She was very appreciative and said if I brought her a larger roast she would prepare it. When she called my wife to invite us to her house she told her it would be formal and we should dress appropriately.
She prepared a traditional (Vienna?) schnitzel and served my wife and I and another couple a very formal dinner with old country lace table cloths, fine china and silver with bottles of fine wine and a still warm hazelnut and chocolate cake for desert.
Possibly the finest meal I ever ate.
What we have here is failure to communicate.