Author Topic: Meltdown in the Florida House over Disney bill  (Read 4095 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Meltdown in the Florida House over Disney bill
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2022, 10:48:35 AM »
I'm not sure where I stand on this at this point re: government intervention. I see good points made on both side. What currently has me swaying towards "yay Florida", is the fact that this involves children, and the whole thing with Disney not only supporting the whole "5-year old transgender and screw the parents" thing, but actively looking at creating propaganda cartoons to promote it.

On the other hand, the entire country is not yet nuts, and quite possibly market forces, instead of government, could take care of this. Disney has apparently already lost over $34 billion because of their stance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2022, 11:00:47 AM »
. . .  Disney has apparently already lost over $34 billion because of their stance.
Thirty four . . . billion? Even in these days of Bidenflation, that's still a lot of money.

If so . . . .  =D

Was this stock value or actual money? Can you point me to a link with this info?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2022, 11:04:07 AM »
Now how much of that can be attributed to them pumping out 90+% garbage nowadays?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2022, 11:04:59 AM »
Was this stock value or actual money? Can you point me to a link with this info?

Value. Sorry, it's an Epoch Times Premium link, but here's a snippet:

Disney’s market cap has shrunk by nearly $34 billion since the company expressed its full-throated opposition to a Florida law banning instruction of gender identity and sexual orientation in public schools for kindergarten through third grade.

Florida lawmakers in March passed HB 1557, dubbed by opponents as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, which was signed into law by Gov. Ron DeSantis on March 28.

That same day, Disney waded deeply into the controversy, issuing a statement highly critical of HB 1557 and saying it was the company’s objective to have it repealed.

From March 28, the day the company issued the statement, to April 22, Disney’s market cap has fallen by around $33.9 billion.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/disney-has-lost-34-billion-in-value-since-embarking-on-culture-war-with-florida_4422586.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2022, 11:07:28 AM »
Now how much of that can be attributed to them pumping out 90+% garbage nowadays?

Sure, that can be part of it, but it's kinda related. Much like with Netflix, who also recently took a market dump, average Americans are getting sick of the woke *expletive deleted*it and watching shows with 90% gays and 10% heteros, and gratuitous gay sex thrown into scenes where it makes zero sense other than to promote an agenda.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2022, 11:13:44 AM »
If Florida seized Disney, and gave its assets to the Creation Museum, there might be cause for concern. But all they've done is revoke the Mouse's special status.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2022, 11:35:14 AM »
Sure, that can be part of it, but it's kinda related. Much like with Netflix, who also recently took a market dump, average Americans are getting sick of the woke *expletive deleted*it and watching shows with 90% gays and 10% heteros, and gratuitous gay sex thrown into scenes where it makes zero sense other than to promote an agenda.

True but I would content even if you took out most of the woke stuff most of it would still be B movie level garbage. 300 million dollar B movies is what we're getting now woke or not.  :facepalm:
Seriously I think they've forgotten how to write a full length movie nowadays. Most movies are now 15 minutes, if that, of story surrounded by 2 hours of CGI. Writing is hard, CGI is easy now. The woke stuff is just making it worse.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2022, 12:31:30 PM »
While I applaud any effort at poking the Mouse in its lace-wearing, butt-plug sporting transgender self, I suspect that once this is litigated it's not going to go well for the state of Florida.

This has all of the hallmarks of an illegal retaliatory move on the part of the Republican-led legislature.

It also looks like it's going to have the potential to hammer the ever loving hell out of the services budgets of the local counties.

I don't think this was a very bright move at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2022, 12:34:14 PM »
While I applaud any effort at poking the Mouse in its lace-wearing, butt-plug sporting transgender self, I suspect that once this is litigated it's not going to go well for the state of Florida.

This has all of the hallmarks of an illegal retaliatory move on the part of the Republican-led legislature.
Why would it be illegal?  It was a bill passed by their legislature and signed by the Gov.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2022, 03:44:53 PM »
Why would it be illegal?  It was a bill passed by their legislature and signed by the Gov.
Unless the original bill was part of a legally binding contract assuring Disney it's special status in perpetuity (or at least for a defined time period which hasn't expired yet) I don't see how changing the law would be illegal.

IMHO it's hard to argue that leveling the playing field so they're under the same rules as every other corporation in the state is illegally retaliatory.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2022, 05:15:09 PM »
Because it could be seen to be a purely retaliatory act with no true legislative purpose other than to be retaliatory.

It could also be seen as a government attempt at suppressing Disney's free speech rights.

"Why would it be illegal?  It was a bill passed by their legislature and signed by the Gov."

Oh, sure, NO law passed in the prescribed manner has ever been overturned on its legal merits because.. legislative process.

"IMHO it's hard to argue that leveling the playing field so they're under the same rules as every other corporation in the state is illegally retaliatory."

Florida has nearly 2,000 legislatively declared special districts. The law overturning Disney's status affects Disney and 4 or 5 others... The other nearly 2,000? Unaffected by the legislation.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2022, 06:37:55 PM »
Can we arrange a meeting between Swalwell and Mike Tyson?
BS like this is not helping.

Imagine wanting the right to attack gay people so badly that you’d kill Mickey Mouse to do it. https://t.co/DzqKon5ePt

— Rep. Eric Swalwell (@RepSwalwell) April 22, 2022
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/04/23/rep-eric-swalwell-says-imagine-killing-mickey-mouse-because-you-want-the-right-to-attack-gay-people-so-badly/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2022, 08:30:39 PM »
Dumbass oh I mean Swalwell has never spent a sunset in Keywest. Straight, gay or ect. doesn't matter. We all just party and have fun.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2022, 08:44:56 AM »
Can we arrange a meeting between Swalwell and Mike Tyson?
BS like this is not helping.
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/04/23/rep-eric-swalwell-says-imagine-killing-mickey-mouse-because-you-want-the-right-to-attack-gay-people-so-badly/

Imagine being willing to nuke those gay people and Mickey Mouse for gun control
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2022, 10:30:53 AM »
Imagine being willing to nuke those gay people and Mickey Mouse for gun control

Well played
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2022, 10:35:13 AM »
I thought this was a good thread on the whole, "But Hobby Lobby!" thing, as well as baking the cake. You can still be on the "the gov is wrong" side, but using either Hobby Lobby or the cake baker as examples will not help your case. I suppose we could throw in the Catholic nuns that Obama went after as well.

Maybe Disney should do what these other groups did, and we'll see what the SC says about it.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/04/24/bake-the-cake-ring-a-bell-slappy-dispatch-scolds-jonah-goldberg-and-david-french-dragged-for-using-hobby-lobby-to-shame-the-right-over-disney/

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2022, 11:36:53 AM »
There's a fast way to completely trash an argument regarding the whole "but children have gender issues" crowd...

Link a Desmond video.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2022, 01:43:39 PM »
Because it could be seen to be a purely retaliatory act with no true legislative purpose other than to be retaliatory.

It could also be seen as a government attempt at suppressing Disney's free speech rights.

"Why would it be illegal?  It was a bill passed by their legislature and signed by the Gov."

Oh, sure, NO law passed in the prescribed manner has ever been overturned on its legal merits because.. legislative process.

"IMHO it's hard to argue that leveling the playing field so they're under the same rules as every other corporation in the state is illegally retaliatory."

Florida has nearly 2,000 legislatively declared special districts. The law overturning Disney's status affects Disney and 4 or 5 others... The other nearly 2,000? Unaffected by the legislation.
If the bill was specifically targeting Disney with undeserved sanctions worse than their competitors, I might agree.  Targeting an individual or business is not something we want to see done by govt.  However, my understanding is it was just taking away special incentives/arrangements that only Disney had.  And some people seem to be arguing this helps Disney. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2022, 02:14:12 PM »
Targeting an individual or business is not something we want to see done by govt. 

It would also be nice if Disney wasn't attempting to target our children for conversion to sexual perversion.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2022, 02:37:23 PM »
"However, my understanding is it was just taking away special incentives/arrangements that only Disney had."

And how is that not the textbook definition of targeting?

"And some people seem to be arguing this helps Disney."

It both helps and hurts Disney. But it really has the potential to hurt the hell out of the tax payers in the two counties from which this special carve out was created. They're now on the hook for a lot more in costs.

What this does do, however, is make Disney and its operations subject to a LOT more oversight from the state and local governments, and right there is the avenue for governmental oversight abuse.

Sorry, but everything I'm seeing is telling me that Disney didn't like the law that Republicans passed in Florida, so the Disney corp spoke out.

Florida Republican didn't like that one bit so they're attempting to hit the Mouse in the wallet.

Apparently Desantis took a page out of the Trump/Putin Combined Playbook on dealing with people you don't like.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2022, 08:10:34 PM »
Well no one's been poisoned.....yet.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2022, 09:13:42 AM »
There's a lot of bad thinking going on all around this.

Haven't you heard? Pedophiles and groomers are everywhere, lurking in every closet.
The ends justify the means and if you're not scared yet - what about the children?
Think of the children!
 ;/
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2022, 10:23:51 AM »
"However, my understanding is it was just taking away special incentives/arrangements that only Disney had."

And how is that not the textbook definition of targeting?

"And some people seem to be arguing this helps Disney."

It both helps and hurts Disney. But it really has the potential to hurt the hell out of the tax payers in the two counties from which this special carve out was created. They're now on the hook for a lot more in costs.

What this does do, however, is make Disney and its operations subject to a LOT more oversight from the state and local governments, and right there is the avenue for governmental oversight abuse.

Sorry, but everything I'm seeing is telling me that Disney didn't like the law that Republicans passed in Florida, so the Disney corp spoke out.

Florida Republican didn't like that one bit so they're attempting to hit the Mouse in the wallet.

Apparently Desantis took a page out of the Trump/Putin Combined Playbook on dealing with people you don't like.
So they are going to go after Disney using the same state and local regulations/oversight their competitors already have to work under.  Yeah, excessive govt power can be used as a weapon, but you are making assumptions about what they will do going forward.

And no, it isn't the "Trump/Putin" playbook.  That is just main stream media talking points which I am surprised you are using.  That is the leftist democrat playbook. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2022, 10:48:59 AM »
So, you're saying that there's nothing punitive about Desantis' actions (By Desantis I'm including both him and the rest of the Florida Republican party here) despite:

1. The specific timing of the legislature's actions in response to significant criticism from Disney.
2. There being absolutely no legislative activity against Disney's carve outs before passage of the Don't Say Gay bill.
3. Despite the hyper specific targeting of Disney's carve outs while leaving thousands of other carve outs in place.

Yeah, that's like Putin saying he's not invading Ukraine despite troops and tanks pouring over the Russia/Ukraine border.

"And no, it isn't the "Trump/Putin" playbook."

Sure... Neither Trump nor Putin have anything even remotely close to a well established, well documented history of personally going after people who have opposed them. The only difference between Putin and Trump in that respect? Trump hasn't ordered the murder of one of his opponents. Yet.