Author Topic: Meltdown in the Florida House over Disney bill  (Read 4098 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Meltdown in the Florida House over Disney bill
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2022, 02:00:40 PM »
So, you're saying that there's nothing punitive about Desantis' actions (By Desantis I'm including both him and the rest of the Florida Republican party here) despite:

1. The specific timing of the legislature's actions in response to significant criticism from Disney.
2. There being absolutely no legislative activity against Disney's carve outs before passage of the Don't Say Gay bill.
3. Despite the hyper specific targeting of Disney's carve outs while leaving thousands of other carve outs in place.

Yeah, that's like Putin saying he's not invading Ukraine despite troops and tanks pouring over the Russia/Ukraine border.

"And no, it isn't the "Trump/Putin" playbook."

Sure... Neither Trump nor Putin have anything even remotely close to a well established, well documented history of personally going after people who have opposed them. The only difference between Putin and Trump in that respect? Trump hasn't ordered the murder of one of his opponents. Yet.
I think what I am saying and what you think I am saying are two different things.  What exactly is the Govt principle that you think Florida is violating? 

Please be more specific about actions Trump has taken. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2022, 02:45:21 PM »
Not speaking for K-Frame, but expanding on my first post:

This is clearly, 100%, payback for Disney publicly opposing the Parental Rights in Education Act.  Looking at the special district wasn't even on the horizon.  So Disney held a [corporate] political position and is being targeted by the government for it.  That's uncool.

The fact that Disney has been given special treatment for so long left them open to "targeting" by the government just by removing some special privileges is also uncool.  While, perhaps, a case could have been made in the 60's that Disney aught to get some special treatment to help them set up their tourist mecca, the need for that is LONG past, and Disney has done some pretty shady *expletive deleted*it in Central Florida politics over the years.  It remains to be seen exactly how this will all shake out and who it will end up costing more money.  I promise you though, the loss of autonomy and added oversight rankle the mouse way more than any extra bills might.

So Disney getting taken down a notch, and having some of their special treatment taken away? Cool.

One party using their majority to, blatantly, punish a corporation for a political stance?  Not Cool.

Hence mixed feelings.

Although, realistically much like the Bill that caused all this hullabaloo I think it's all just theatre to keep DeSantis in the news cycle and the voters riled up for the midterms.  Disney will negotiate an amended bill before this takes effect, and it will be quietly passed in December or so. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2022, 03:10:23 PM »
Being on the opposite end of the country, I have not really kept track: is Governor DeSantis running for President in 2024? Or is he a likely candidate?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2022, 03:14:42 PM »
Being on the opposite end of the country, I have not really kept track: is Governor DeSantis running for President in 2024? Or is he a likely candidate?

He has said he is not running in '24.  He is running for governor again this year, and that term would take him to 2026, were he to finish it.  I've certainly heard his name floated by other Republicans, but so far he has said no.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2022, 03:39:30 PM »
Not speaking for K-Frame, but expanding on my first post:

This is clearly, 100%, payback for Disney publicly opposing the Parental Rights in Education Act.  Looking at the special district wasn't even on the horizon.  So Disney held a [corporate] political position and is being targeted by the government for it.  That's uncool.

The fact that Disney has been given special treatment for so long left them open to "targeting" by the government just by removing some special privileges is also uncool.  While, perhaps, a case could have been made in the 60's that Disney aught to get some special treatment to help them set up their tourist mecca, the need for that is LONG past, and Disney has done some pretty shady *expletive deleted*it in Central Florida politics over the years.  It remains to be seen exactly how this will all shake out and who it will end up costing more money.  I promise you though, the loss of autonomy and added oversight rankle the mouse way more than any extra bills might.

So Disney getting taken down a notch, and having some of their special treatment taken away? Cool.

One party using their majority to, blatantly, punish a corporation for a political stance?  Not Cool.

Hence mixed feelings.

Although, realistically much like the Bill that caused all this hullabaloo I think it's all just theatre to keep DeSantis in the news cycle and the voters riled up for the midterms.  Disney will negotiate an amended bill before this takes effect, and it will be quietly passed in December or so.
I don't like these special arrangements for corporations either especially when they are permanent.  However, it doesn't bother me too much if those special arrangements are taken away.  It wasn't that long ago that one of the airlines ticked off the state of Georgia and that state took away a fuel subsidy they had given them.  I didn't mind that either (might have given it back by now).  I was more upset they were doing it to begin with.  I would rather Govt/Big Corp never get in bed with each other at all since small businesses generally don't get those benefits.

On the parental rights bill they passed, the bill doesn't do a whole lot.  The interesting part to me is just how many people and corporations were dead set against it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2022, 04:27:53 PM »
On the parental rights bill they passed, the bill doesn't do a whole lot.  The interesting part to me is just how many people and corporations were dead set against it.

The Parental Rights in Education Act does exactly what it was designed to do:  Bring up the question of who gets to decide public school curriculum in FL and push it to the front of everyone's mind right before the FL Gubernatorial Election.  The lessons of VA were not lost on the FL GOP.  As soon as the Dem. primary is over, expect someone to ask the candidate if they will be repealing that law, fallowed by pointed questions on what curriculum they want that isn't allowed under the law.  The whole law is a political trap.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2022, 12:18:01 AM »
I don't really see the uncool with this targeting. I can see of course the almost parallels of your corporation, county, or whatever supported Trump so here is this new special tax just for you. This case is somewhat different. Mouse threw its political weight around, Florida reminded mouse that it too had weight to throw. Pretty much don't throw bricks at glass houses when you too occupy one.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2022, 10:39:59 AM »
I don't really see the uncool with this targeting. I can see of course the almost parallels of your corporation, county, or whatever supported Trump so here is this new special tax just for you. This case is somewhat different. Mouse threw its political weight around, Florida reminded mouse that it too had weight to throw. Pretty much don't throw bricks at glass houses when you too occupy one.

What if we reframed it as the government throwing it's weight around to stop something we liked?

Quote from: White House Press Briefing 25 April 2022
Q    And just a quick one on the breaking news: Twitter agreeing to let Elon Musk purchase — make his — go through with this purchase.  Do you have a response to that?  And does the White House have any concern that this new agreement might have President Trump back on the platform?

MS. PSAKI:  Well, I’m not going to comment on a specific transaction.  What I can tell you as a general matter: No matter who owns or runs Twitter, the President has long been concerned about the power of large social media platforms, what they ha- — the power they have over our everyday lives; has long argued that tech platforms must be held accountable for the harms they cause.  He has been a strong supporter of fundamental reforms to achieve that goal, including reforms to Section 230, enacting antitrust reforms, requiring more transparency, and more.  And he’s encouraged that there’s bipartisan interest in Congress.

In terms of what hypothetical policies might happen, I’m just not going to speak to that at this point in time.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/press-briefings/2022/04/25/press-briefing-by-press-secretary-jen-psaki-april-25-2022/

That's a shot across the bow if ever there was one.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2022, 11:03:05 AM »
Of course, Disney should not be punished for opposing some bill in the FL legislature.

Of course, Disney should be punished for their self-admitted sexual grooming of children.  It is a well established fact of  law that obscenity has no first amendment protection.  And sexual grooming of children is obscene.

So, punish Disney please.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2022, 11:07:42 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2022, 11:38:55 AM »
Of course, Disney should not be punished for opposing some bill in the FL legislature.

Of course, Disney should be punished for their self-admitted sexual grooming of children.  It is a well established fact of  law that obscenity has no first amendment protection.  And sexual grooming of children is obscene.

Self-admitted sexual grooming of children?  I was not aware that Disney had admitted such, although I confess I don't keep eyes on everything they might do.

So we're kinda going "the end justifies the means" here? 

*not as a rhetorical gotcha, sometimes the end does in fact justify the means, I'm just trying to clarify some of you guys intent.  because this was punishment for going against the legislature.  Whatever grooming Disney does or does not do did not start in the last 45 days.  The instigating event was their opposition to the Parental Rights in Education bill.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2022, 12:49:18 PM »

So we're going to need some unbiased citations to support your case.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2022, 02:49:29 PM »
....unbiased citations...
Good luck finding that.   =D

Pb

• friend

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »
Self-admitted sexual grooming of children?  I was not aware that Disney had admitted such, although I confess I don't keep eyes on everything they might do.

So we're kinda going "the end justifies the means" here? 

*not as a rhetorical gotcha, sometimes the end does in fact justify the means, I'm just trying to clarify some of you guys intent.  because this was punishment for going against the legislature.  Whatever grooming Disney does or does not do did not start in the last 45 days.  The instigating event was their opposition to the Parental Rights in Education bill.

The passage of the bill led Disney to admit, and recommit, to their established grooming practices. That’s what changed.

I wonder if some of us differ in our perspective because some of us see the legislature as acting purely from partisan motives, competing for votes; and some of us think the legislature might just be doing their duty to the people by stripping special benefits from an organization that has designs on their children. I admit, I'd be more confident about the second view if the legislature had phrased things that way, instead of their more arbitrary language.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2022, 07:35:53 PM »
BTW, if this is a first amendment issue, does that mean corporations are people?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2022, 07:55:16 PM »
The passage of the bill led Disney to admit, and recommit, to their established grooming practices. That’s what changed.

I wonder if some of us differ in our perspective because some of us see the legislature as acting purely from partisan motives, competing for votes; and some of us think the legislature might just be doing their duty to the people by stripping special benefits from an organization that has designs on their children. I admit, I'd be more confident about the second view if the legislature had phrased things that way, instead of their more arbitrary language.

Those people are not familiar with FL politics or the FL GOP. Many of these same legislators have happily sold people, children, the environment,  or anything not nailed down to corporations, including Disney.  Had they phrased it as doing their duty to the people, the laughing would have killed a double digit percentage of their voters from coronaries.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2022, 10:32:51 PM »

Probably both depending on who you are talking about.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2022, 10:56:40 PM »
2022:  the year the Left became both pro-war and pro-big-business.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2022, 11:02:10 AM »
Those people are not familiar with FL politics or the FL GOP. Many of these same legislators have happily sold people, children, the environment,  or anything not nailed down to corporations, including Disney.  Had they phrased it as doing their duty to the people, the laughing would have killed a double digit percentage of their voters from coronaries.

None of which rules out that the possibility they are actually doing the right thing, and doing their duty for the people of Florida. The basis of electoral, representative government is that it creates the incentive for power-hungry, greedy, corrupt sleaze-bags to do what they ought to do. At least some of the time.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2022, 11:09:39 AM »
2022:  the year the Left became both pro-war and pro-big-business.

They've been both pro-war as long as it's a war they got us involved in (think Clinton, Obama, Biden) and big-business if the business openly holds leftest views and is a big donator to leftest causes (ie Apple which has a cult like following among leftists) for some time now.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager