Author Topic: Turkey cranberry meatloaf  (Read 720 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Turkey cranberry meatloaf
« on: December 07, 2023, 07:45:32 PM »
2 lbs of ground turkey
1 box of stovetop stuffing mix, turkey or chicken flavor
1 can of whole berry cranberry sauce
1 egg
1/4 cup of milk or cream

Optional add ins (add as many or as few as you want)

1/2 large onion, diced fine and sweated
8 ounces of mushrooms, sauteed
1 cup finely chopped celery, sweated
1 medium grated carrot
Additional herbs or spices (such as sage, rosemary, etc. Remember that the stuffing mix will already have those spices to some degree)
Worcestershire sauce
Hot sauce

Instructions

Pour stuffing mix into a large bowl.

Lightly beat egg.

Add milk and egg to stuffing mix and mix thoroughly.

Add 1/2 of the can of cranberry sauce and mix well.

Add additional vegetables, spices, etc., if using.

Add the ground turkey and mix very thoroughly.

If the mixture seems too loose, add additional Italian seasoned bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, etc. This may be the case if the additional vegetables are added.

Turn out onto a parchment lined sheet pan or other wide, shallow pan and form into a loaf. I usually go with a rectangular shape 2 to 3 inches thick and 6 to 8 inches wide. Be careful not to pack the meatloaf too firmly during the shaping.

Bake in a 350 degree oven, middle rack. After 30 minutes the meatloaf should have a crust forming. Spread the remaining cranberry sauce over the tops and sides and return to the oven for another 15 to 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165 in the center.

Remove from the oven and let stand for a few minutes before slicing.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 06:38:20 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

castle key

• friend
Re: Turkey meatloaf with cranberry
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 08:00:27 PM »
I believe this is something you did at my place. If so, I'll give it a couple of thumbs up!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 10:06:23 PM »
OK, this looks great.  I will be trying this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 06:31:23 AM »
I believe this is something you did at my place. If so, I'll give it a couple of thumbs up!

Yes, it is. I came across the recipe while looking for something else. Using the box of stuffing mix as the bread and majority of the spices makes it so easy. It's really the only way I make meatloaf anymore.

It's extremely flexible in that you can adjust it in so many ways. I've also used the same base recipe with 3 pounds of ground turkey. That makes it a bit looser but the ratio of bread to meat still works.

I'd advise against reducing the ground turkey below two pounds, otherwise the ratio of bread to meat gets out of whack and it gets an odd texture.

I really like it with the sauteed onions and mushrooms.

Oh, and if you just want a straight up meatloaf? Leave out the cranberries and glaze it part way through with a ketchup/brown sugar mix, or with BBQ sauce.

I've also though about trying the base recipe (without the cranberries) and working in a core of cheese. Basically a cheese burger turkey meatloaf. Haven't gotten around to trying that yet. I know Seren would give it two paws up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 06:34:34 AM »
OK, I know the recipe is a good one when both Seren AND Castle Key approve of it.

Seren's not to terribly picky, but Castle Key? Yeah...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Turkey cranberry meatloaf
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 12:05:41 PM »
Looks delicious. If it weren't for SWBMO having an aversion to any kind of sweet/savory combo, I'd be making it this weekend.

We do turkey meatloaf a lot. I use the 2.5lb packs from Sams so makes enough to have a weeks worth of meals. I make a basic recipe that allows lots of flexibility on spices, sauces, etc. when Heat & Eat time comes.

I've started using seasoned croutons rather than breadcrumbs or crushed crackers. We usually have a big bag in the pantry for salads and such. I throw them in a ZipLock and go to town with a rolling pin or flat-face tenderizer. I figure if I'm gonna throw a bunch of breadcrumbs in the meat, they might as will bring some flavor to the party.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 12:26:13 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question, but when you use stuffing mix, do you add the flavoring packet or just use the bread cubes?  I am thinking of the StoveTop stuffing mix I have in the pantry.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 12:29:33 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question, but when you use stuffing mix, do you add the flavoring packet or just use the bread cubes?  I am thinking of the StoveTop stuffing mix I have in the pantry.

The stuffing mixes I get have the bread and seasoning in the same packet.

If you're buying stuffing mixes that have the bread and spices in separate packets, add them both to the meat.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 08:03:51 AM »
I was thinking about making one of this today, but I made trips to the grocery store on Thursday and Saturday.

They had NO 3-lb packs of ground turkey, and only had 1-lb packs of 99% fat free turkey for nearly $9 a pound.

Not sure WTF is going on, but I'm going to be VERY unhappy if this is the start of a ground turkey shortage.