Author Topic: Missouri AG refuses FBI "audit" of carry permits  (Read 678 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Missouri AG refuses FBI "audit" of carry permits
« on: July 20, 2022, 08:38:04 AM »
 Guns & Gadgets has the story:

https://youtu.be/datdaoK0PY0

If nothing else, at least it's an improvement over what happened several years ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Missouri AG refuses FBI "audit" of carry permits
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 09:12:11 AM »
Is there any evidence at all that the FBI actually asked for access to the CCW list?  I get that some sheriff's emailed the [elected] AG about the CJIS audit, but I'm unclear how that would mean the FBI even asked for CCW lists.  Auditing a CJIS transaction would mean looking at the request for info FROM CJIS by Missouri LE.  i.e. info the feds already have.  The FBI replied and said they weren't asking for CCW lists.

Is there any reason to think this isn't just political grandstanding by the AG and clickbait by guntubers?  Has any other state that is getting a CJIS audit reported the Revenuers asking for a CCW list?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 09:45:07 AM »
Is there any evidence at all that the FBI actually asked for access to the CCW list?  I get that some sheriff's emailed the [elected] AG about the CJIS audit, but I'm unclear how that would mean the FBI even asked for CCW lists.  Auditing a CJIS transaction would mean looking at the request for info FROM CJIS by Missouri LE.  i.e. info the feds already have.  The FBI replied and said they weren't asking for CCW lists.

Is there any reason to think this isn't just political grandstanding by the AG and clickbait by guntubers?  Has any other state that is getting a CJIS audit reported the Revenuers asking for a CCW list?

Good questions. The AG is running for Senate.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 10:20:24 AM »
Is there any evidence at all that the FBI actually asked for access to the CCW list? 

The letter that the dude in Guns & Gadgets is reading has a direct quote that says "The audit includes an onsite review of your Concealed Carry Weapons Permits..."

This reminds me of the accusation a few years back of Maryland State Troopers were deliberately datamining other States' CCW systems specifically because they did NOT grant reciprocity to them, and stopping and searching cars while using the State's access to CCW rosters as "probable cause" for the search of the vehicle and subsequent arrest if a weapon was found.

It really sounds like it's time for CCW permit systems to take another stand:  Interstate and/or Federal access to CCW rosters should only be accessible to States or Entities that will not weaponize the information against the issuing State's citizenry.  Missouri is on the right track; I do wonder if they grant access to the information for States that do honor Missouri's CCW permit?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 10:37:12 AM »

This reminds me of the accusation a few years back of Maryland State Troopers were deliberately datamining other States' CCW systems specifically because they did NOT grant reciprocity to them, and stopping and searching cars while using the State's access to CCW rosters as "probable cause" for the search of the vehicle and subsequent arrest if a weapon was found.

Holy moly.  Tell me this did not withstand court challenge as probable cause.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 01:06:54 AM »
AZRedhawk44

I do wonder if they grant access to the information for States that do honor Missouri's CCW permit?

Captain ObviousRN says that it's plain that the antigun forces are using every possible avenue to harass gun owners, licensees, purchasers, organizations, internet posters, FFLs, ranges, shippers, or absolutely anything or anyone related to firearms.

Read it and weep:  Absolutely anything.

Don't think you are isolated from this grand push.  Absolutely anything goes.

Even those loose ejected .22 empties that went under the seats of your car will bite you.

Anything.

Captain ObviousRN