Author Topic: Aldi Burger vs. The Spendy Normal Grocery Store's  (Read 1102 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Aldi Burger vs. The Spendy Normal Grocery Store's
« on: May 01, 2022, 10:56:02 PM »
I normally buy burger at Aldi. I haven't had a lot of time lately, so I picked up a pound of certified black angus super $8/pound burger at my local "normal people's" store.

Damn, but a whole lot of fat/liquid cooked out of that pound of alleged 85/15 burger... Much more than I'd expect from Aldi's 80/20...
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Aldi Burger vs. The Spendy Normal Grocery Store's
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 11:05:41 PM »
I normally buy burger at Aldi. I haven't had a lot of time lately, so I picked up a pound of certified black angus super $8/pound burger at my local "normal people's" store.

Damn, but a whole lot of fat/liquid cooked out of that pound of alleged 85/15 burger... Much more than I'd expect from Aldi's 80/20...

It's illegal to adulterate ground beef with water, so instead the add ice "so it doesn't overhead during grinding".  ;/  That's the water that floods the pan when you try to cook it.  My brother got some packer-cut briskets for $1.89 a pound recently from HEB and I ground all that up and froze it in 1 pound packages.  That meat looks really fatty, but no water cooks out of it and not nearly as much fat as you'd expect.

Aldi's 80/20 is pretty good.  Better than the 80/20 or even the 85/15 at most other stores.  It seems to have a little water in it but very little, and that moisture could just be leaking out because the Aldi packages I buy are frozen.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 11:23:18 PM »
Damn. Aldi's tastes better too.
Blog under construction

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 01:57:48 PM »
I’ll have to give them a try.
I just recently bought 15 lbs of 75% ground beef from Meijer for around $1.10/lb, which I don’t have high expectations for, but it was super cheap.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama