Author Topic: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case  (Read 8043 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case
« on: May 02, 2022, 12:37:35 AM »
Currently the dates for releasing opinions are:

May 02, 16, 23, 31
June 06, 13, 21, 27

this is supposed to be the big win we have been waiting for.
Gawd, I hope I will be able to visit my old stomping grounds and legally carry before I get way  older
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 06:14:42 AM »
Unfortunately even with a favorable decision all too many jurisdictions are comfortable with ignoring them and doing what they want in restricting freedoms.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 07:40:45 AM »
Unfortunately even with a favorable decision all too many jurisdictions are comfortable with ignoring them and doing what they want in restricting freedoms.

nyc for instance :'(
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 08:46:03 AM »
Not just jurisdictions, but lower level federal judges sometimes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 09:02:47 AM »
nyc for instance :'(

Not just NYC -- federal circuit court justices. Look how many of them have taken Scalia's "presumptively lawful" phrase out of Heller to claim that the Supreme Court has ruled that all gun laws before Heller are lawful, so they don't have to look at them. That's not what it said, at all, but that's what they claim it said.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 09:45:49 AM »
Is this the same case?

https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/04/opinion-analysis-court-sends-new-york-second-amendment-case-back-to-lower-courts-without-ruling-on-the-merits/
Court sends New York Second Amendment case back to lower courts without ruling on the merits

The justices allowed the case to move forward, but today a majority of the court sent the case back to the lower court without weighing in on the merits of the gun owners’ Second Amendment claims. The court’s two-page opinion – which was unsigned but apparently joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Brett Kavanaugh – explained that, as a result of the changes to state law and the city’s rule, the gun owners have gotten exactly what they had asked for: They can now take their guns to a second home or a shooting range outside the city.
On this one, the liberals got the majority to run away from any meaningful decision again.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:57 AM »
The date on that ruling is April of 2020, and it list RBG as one of the signatories.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 10:22:54 AM »
The date on that ruling is April of 2020, and it list RBG as one of the signatories.

The dead still vote democrat so why not SCOTUS justices? :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 10:32:54 AM »
Saw the month and day, missed the year. 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 11:32:37 AM »
The dead still vote democrat so why not SCOTUS justices? :rofl:

Unfortunately, that's a good point.  We probably shouldn't give them any ideas.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 03:00:23 PM »

Political ad I keep getting hit with on youtube is for a candidate running for governor, and there is a line that explicitly says "no matter what happens at the supreme court."

So yeah, *expletive deleted*ck your court decisions they're going to do what they want anyways.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 03:53:11 PM »
Political ad I keep getting hit with on youtube is for a candidate running for governor, and there is a line that explicitly says "no matter what happens at the supreme court."

So yeah, *expletive deleted*ck your court decisions they're going to do what they want anyways.

Are they referring to guns? Because a lot of states are getting ready to guarantee abortion "rights" in state law, in case SCOTUS reverses Roe.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 04:34:46 PM »
Are they referring to guns? Because a lot of states are getting ready to guarantee abortion "rights" in state law, in case SCOTUS reverses Roe.

Nope, it's just about keeping baby murder going even if the supreme court says boo.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 06:12:52 PM »
They made their ruling, now let's see them enforce it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 09:56:58 PM »

About that

https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=66554.0
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 12:13:46 AM »
Okayfine - move to California. We'll be sending our tweakers there in a few months...
Blog under construction

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 12:14:53 AM »
from youtube/armed scholar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCfoAh5Ci2g

( abortion leak affect )

I think that it was the justice Katenji Brown - or one of her woke mob staffers - that leaked the draft

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 09:37:42 AM »
from youtube/armed scholar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCfoAh5Ci2g

( abortion leak affect )

I think that it was the justice Katenji Brown - or one of her woke mob staffers - that leaked the draft

Unlikely, as Brown is not officially seated on the court as yet.  Justice Breyer's last day on the court will be the end of this term.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2022, 09:46:34 AM »
Unlikely, as Brown is not officially seated on the court as yet.  Justice Breyer's last day on the court will be the end of this term.

Be interesting to see how much data access she has been granted prior to being seated. But my money would be on one of the recent libtards or more likely their staff as being the source of the leak.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 10:28:42 AM »
I still submit that no justice, no matter how much I may despise their politics, did this. I think they all understand the consequences of this regarding the integrity of the SC and the long term damage.

From what I read, the liberal justices have a total of 16 clerks. Unless you suspect that a clerk for one of the conservative justices did this as some kind of SC conservative PSYOP, those 16, along with from what I understand, a small and less likely handful of admin assistants, are your potential culprits.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 10:33:34 AM »
^^^I wonder if they will identify the culprit.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2022, 11:04:37 AM »
If the Supreme Court is serious about the Second Amendment (and I do not believe a majority is) they will have to do much more.

Just saying that states have to grant CCW permits won't do much.  In some states, like NY, these may become theoretically legal, but practically impossible for the average joe to obtain... just like it is an obscenely difficult process to buy a pistol in NY right now.

So far, the two cases the Supreme Court has ruled on has done nothing for the vast majority of the country.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 02:24:30 PM »

So far, the two cases the Supreme Court has ruled on has done nothing for the vast majority of the country.

It sure was nice to see Chicago get concealed carry, though. :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 02:34:24 PM »
If the Supreme Court is serious about the Second Amendment (and I do not believe a majority is) they will have to do much more.

Just saying that states have to grant CCW permits won't do much.  In some states, like NY, these may become theoretically legal, but practically impossible for the average joe to obtain... just like it is an obscenely difficult process to buy a pistol in NY right now.

The 2A doesn't say anything about permits or licenses. A right for which each person needs a permission slip is not a right, it's a privilege. What's needed is for the SCOTUS to eviscerate "may issue" permit states such as Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, California, and Hawaii. That would be a good start.

Then there needs to be a good test case for eliminating permits/licenses entirely.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 09:19:40 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 03:13:00 PM »
Virginia is an Open carry state.  Anyone have the addresses of Justices Kagan, Breyer, and Sotomayor?  Perhaps some peaceful protests in front of their houses are in order just so they know where the people stand on the issue.  I hear it's all the rage, and Law Enforcement won't bother you.