Author Topic: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case  (Read 8049 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2022, 12:45:53 PM »
I was a little surprised (pleasantly) to see Roberts on the right side of the ruling.

So how long before the may-issue laws in CA, HI, NJ etc. are struck down?

Well it is "The Roberts Court"  :O

The legacy of the Roberts Court is looking darker and more dangerous by the day. This decision siding with the gun lobby will lead to more innocent people being killed at a time when gun violence is already surging. Join @Everytown and @MomsDemand to fight back.

— Mike Bloomberg (@MikeBloomberg) June 23, 2022
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/06/23/anti-gun-democrats-lash-out-after-scotus-decision-striking-down-may-issue-carry-laws-n59679
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2022, 12:48:33 PM »
Now on to RvW  [popcorn]
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2022, 12:57:52 PM »
I think they're crazy enough to try this

It has become necessary to dissolve the Supreme Court of the United States.

The first step is for a state the "court" has now forced guns upon, to ignore this ruling.

Great. You're a court? Why and how do think you can enforce your rulings?#IgnoreTheCourt

— Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann) June 23, 2022
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/06/23/insurrection-y-keith-olbermann-claiming-its-necessary-to-dissolve-scotus-while-melting-down-over-gun-ruling-backfires-pun-intended/

- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2022, 01:03:02 PM »
Sounds like treason.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2022, 01:26:01 PM »
And someone had to drag Drag Queens into this

More examples of meltdowns at
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2022/06/23/liberal-media-is-going-insane-over-supreme-court-gun-ruling-n2609214
Warning: some are brain cell killers

More "BLOOD RUNNING IN THE STREETS" can they find anything else to say.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2022, 01:32:10 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ny-gov-hochul-defiant-supreme-court-handgun-ruling-were-just-getting-started

Hochul went on to state that she is "prepared to go back to muskets" through gun restrictions.

Let me know when her protective detail and the state police are all carrying muskets.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2022, 01:34:58 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ny-gov-hochul-defiant-supreme-court-handgun-ruling-were-just-getting-started

Let me know when her protective detail and the state police are all carrying muskets.

Pushing cannons around  :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2022, 01:35:31 PM »
We need Joy Behar's reaction to this. Turns out black people are not just buying guns; now blacks are writing SCOTUS opinions that let them carry guns!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 02:03:58 PM by Perd Hapley »

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2022, 02:02:44 PM »
Most likely NY, NJ, HI, etc will eventually pass “shall issue” laws, but they’ll make the permits hideously expensive, likely attach onerous training requirements, and quite possibly require insurance that is going to be very costly if it’s even available at all.  And if it’s not affordable (or even available) they’ll shrug and say too bad. 

Great as this ruling is, anything short of invalidating ALL permitting laws and making “constitutional carry” a nationwide standard very little will actually improve meaningfully.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2022, 02:08:31 PM »
I have had several democrats tell me that it's explicitly racist to make exercising a right cost money, because it disproportionately effects black and brown communities.

You're right, the'll try to make it expensive, and we need to call out their Jim Crow Poll Tax at every turn.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2022, 02:08:43 PM »
I was a little surprised (pleasantly) to see Roberts on the right side of the ruling.

So how long before the may-issue laws in CA, HI, NJ etc. are struck down?

While I am happy with this ruling (haven't read it yet but...) I am the eternal skeptic.
They made their ruling, now let's see them enforce it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »
Most likely NY, NJ, HI, etc will eventually pass “shall issue” laws, but they’ll make the permits hideously expensive, likely attach onerous training requirements, and quite possibly require insurance that is going to be very costly if it’s even available at all.  And if it’s not affordable (or even available) they’ll shrug and say too bad. 

Great as this ruling is, anything short of invalidating ALL permitting laws and making “constitutional carry” a nationwide standard very little will actually improve meaningfully.

This is exactly what will happen. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2022, 02:52:18 PM »

Adams Says New York Can't Become the 'Wild, Wild West'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AgM8SUbXmY

You are correct.  He mentioned making a list of prohibited places among other things. 

He is wrong though, New York is only unique in that people can't defend themselves like a human being should.  Their crime and corruption are hardly unique.  I think a lot of New Yorkers would be happier in the Wild Wild West. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2022, 03:05:49 PM »
Some areas in CA (at least when I was still there) required psychiatric evaluation before "may issue" permit issuance. I wonder if that will become more widespread in the states who want to fight this ruling? A $1000 or so session with a shrink would certainly cut down the number of applicants. Though I'm not even sure of the legality of it even for "may issue".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2022, 03:15:59 PM »
Some areas in CA (at least when I was still there) required psychiatric evaluation before "may issue" permit issuance. I wonder if that will become more widespread in the states who want to fight this ruling? A $1000 or so session with a shrink would certainly cut down the number of applicants. Though I'm not even sure of the legality of it even for "may issue".
If that was the only requirement, I figure word would get around pretty quick on who to see to get cleared.  Or some enterprising pro-gun person would get certified to do the evaluation.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2022, 03:27:45 PM »

Some of you need to allow yourselves a little happiness. Those states are already doing that. This ruling will make it easier to challenge them, and force change. If Illinois can be forced to allow carry (after McDonald), it ought to be possible elsewhere.

We've been winning the carry fight for decades - just takes longer in the more backward states.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2022, 03:33:47 PM »
So NY could just require an in person 3 credit hour college class as a requirement for a carry permit. Only taught m-f at 8am at one college/university in the state.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2022, 03:38:21 PM »
So NY could just require an in person 3 credit hour college class as a requirement for a carry permit. Only taught m-f at 8am at one college/university in the state.

Tuition:  $10,000.
                         - Barack Obama

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2022, 03:58:10 PM »
 I’m not a legal scholar.

Watched the Armed Scholar and this may be a really big deal.

They changed the scrutiny guidelines for the gun laws. Specifically stated that only one test. Second amendment wording historical context and common practice and then full stop.

No additional scrutiny.

Based on what I have heard this could be a basis for challenge to NFA.

The Armed Scholar dude who never gets excited almost let out a holy *expletive deleted*it moment.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2022, 04:00:21 PM »
^realistically, probably not. This decision has a lot to say about means end scrutiny and the 2A, and none of it lends itself to states getting away with those kind of games.

They could try, but they'll be sued and risk an even more plainly worded decision.

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2022, 05:21:47 PM »
I have just learned that it is Clarence Thomas's birthday. (He wrote the decision.)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2022, 05:46:07 PM »
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/06/nothing-changes-today-lawless-nyc-mayor-eric-adams-promises-ignore-supreme-court-ruling-concealed-gun-laws/

This is the crappy part. There are no personal consequences for elected officials ignoring the ruling. The city/state will do as they damn well please and the peasantry be damned. They will get taken to court again and the trials and hearings will drag on for years with the government being funded by the taxpayer and the plaintiff paying our of pocket and donations. Meanwhile rights will be infringed and too damn bad for those that have their rights violated.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2022, 06:38:07 PM »

Limited to 1 enrollee per session.  Only offered once a year.

And the instructor is out sick.