Author Topic: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case  (Read 8044 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2022, 12:40:21 PM »
And...

The racists are coming out of the woodwork around this...

ZOMG, but THOSE PEOPLE are going to be carrying guns!

Did you see that Thomas cited the Dred Scott decision on the rights of THOSE PEOPLE to bear arms?  :rofl:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2022, 12:56:29 PM »
Did you see that Thomas cited the Dred Scott decision on the rights of THOSE PEOPLE to bear arms?  :rofl:

That was beautiful.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2022, 02:30:24 PM »
The winning attorneys in the case were told by the other partners in their law firm to either ditch their 2A clients or leave the firm. They chose to leave.

Bruen attorneys leave law firm after being told to ditch 2A clients
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/06/24/bruen-attorneys-leave-law-firm-after-being-told-to-ditch-2a-clients-n59719

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that other, bigger clients of that law firm are anti-gun and are making threats to find another firm. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2022, 02:35:26 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that other, bigger clients of that law firm are anti-gun and are making threats to find another firm.

Comments in the article said that this law firm represented big tobacco back in the day. I guess that was okie dokie.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2022, 02:46:15 PM »
Most likely NY, NJ, HI, etc will eventually pass “shall issue” laws, but they’ll make the permits hideously expensive, likely attach onerous training requirements, and quite possibly require insurance that is going to be very costly if it’s even available at all.  And if it’s not affordable (or even available) they’ll shrug and say too bad. 

Great as this ruling is, anything short of invalidating ALL permitting laws and making “constitutional carry” a nationwide standard very little will actually improve meaningfully.

Yes, like IL-ANNOY has already done.  They were the LAST state to allow CC but anybody from the Chicago area have found ot it is nearly impossible for them to get permits as the "authorities" there file objections against an incredible number of people, even going so far as to (falsely) claim they are "gang members".  Most of Chicago's objections have been found to be baseless by the state review board.  It does increase the length of time and the number of "hoops" applicants must jump through to get a permit.  :facepalm:  [popcorn]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2022, 04:44:11 PM »
According to The Federalist, Thomas has this to say about shall-issue permit rules that states may adopt:

...because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry

https://thefederalist.com/2022/06/24/6-takeaways-from-the-supreme-court-decision-protecting-americans-right-to-self-defense/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2022, 04:51:39 PM »
We kinda already HAVE a decision on NFA, if people actually read it (Miller)

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense.

That sounds very much like M4s and M249s are covered, grandpa's O/U not so much

Of course, there's a confluence of interest in keeping FA out of the hands of us plebiscite, so....
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2022, 08:33:07 PM »
According to The Federalist, Thomas has this to say about shall-issue permit rules that states may adopt:

https://thefederalist.com/2022/06/24/6-takeaways-from-the-supreme-court-decision-protecting-americans-right-to-self-defense/

You're on notice, Connecticut.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2022, 10:19:02 PM »
You're on notice, Connecticut.

When I got CT pistol permit way back in 1987 it was an annoying and intrusive process but it seemed mostly a matter of checking the boxes and jumping through the right hoops. No anticipation that a denial was very probable.
Unconstitutional but it was the process.
Sign off by a certified NRA instructor,  background check, interview with county sheriff or police chief, don't remember which and I got my permit.

Has it changed much since then?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2022, 11:24:35 PM »
Reminds me to get another WA CPL.  Let mine expire 2-3 years ago, so have go through the “new” permit process rather than renewal.  Not a big difference but costs a bit more than simply renewing.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2022, 12:38:16 AM »

"Own a musket for home defense, just as the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up. Just as the founding fathers intended."

(stolen from elsewhere)
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2022, 09:07:35 AM »
So will Hochel's security be switching to muskets?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2022, 09:54:19 AM »
California's attorney general might be seeing the writing on the wall:

https://twitter.com/gunpolicy/status/1540501223543021576
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2022, 09:58:13 AM »
California's attorney general might be seeing the writing on the wall:

https://twitter.com/gunpolicy/status/1540501223543021576

"effective immediately, issuing authorities should no longer require proof of good cause for the issuance of a public-carry license."

while we figure out a workaround
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2022, 10:11:07 AM »
"effective immediately, issuing authorities should no longer require proof of good cause for the issuance of a public-carry license."

while we figure out a workaround

There is still language about "good moral character" which they will probably use as an excuse to deny CCW applications.  So probably more legal challenges coming.

- Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2022, 10:15:33 AM »
There is still language about "good moral character" which they will probably use as an excuse to deny CCW applications.  So probably more legal challenges coming.

Do you support on demand abortion?
No
Application denied because you hate womb carriers
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2022, 10:31:02 AM »
No

That's probably not far off the mark, even if you were being sarcastic. I expect CA and other lib states will be tightly embracing "domestic hate speech/group/terrorist/white supremacist.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2022, 10:34:15 AM »
That's probably not far off the mark, even if you were being sarcastic. I expect CA and other lib states will be tightly embracing "domestic hate speech/group/terrorist/white supremacist.

I usually try to keep one foot of my sarcasm at least somewhat on solid ground.
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2022, 10:44:12 AM »
No

Application denied?  Sounds like grounds for an automatic red flag to be served, because only a bad person would get denied.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2022, 10:45:32 AM »
Application denied?  Sounds like grounds for an automatic red flag to be served, because only a bad person would get denied.

Yep, automatic red flag.
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2022, 10:50:28 AM »
Yep, automatic red flag.

A 72 hour psych hold if they act in any way upset during any part of the denial or red flag too.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2022, 10:59:07 AM »
Reminds me to get another WA CPL.  Let mine expire 2-3 years ago, so have go through the “new” permit process rather than renewal.  Not a big difference but costs a bit more than simply renewing.

I don't know if Skagit County is the same, but here in Snohomish, at least for the renewal, the Sheriff's office contracted with a company called Permiteum. It is an online process, and best of all, the permit is now printed on plastic credit-card stock.  No more folding and laminating to fit in my wallet.  Utah now requires a Washington permit to issue a Utah multi-state permit to Washington residents, which is the reason that I have two permits: Washington and Utah.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2022, 11:04:56 AM »
Utah now requires a Washington permit to issue a Utah multi-state permit to Washington residents, which is the reason that I have two permits: Washington and Utah.

Another interesting tangent. When I lived in CA, UT required no CA permit to get a Utah non-resident. I believe that was based on (non) reciprocity on the CA side. I do have to submit a copy of my ID permit when I renew my UT permit. I wonder if we will see changes to the non-resident permit process in various states if everyone is now "shall issue".

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2022, 11:16:34 AM »
I don't know if Skagit County is the same, but here in Snohomish, at least for the renewal, the Sheriff's office contracted with a company called Permiteum. It is an online process, and best of all, the permit is now printed on plastic credit-card stock.  No more folding and laminating to fit in my wallet.  Utah now requires a Washington permit to issue a Utah multi-state permit to Washington residents, which is the reason that I have two permits: Washington and Utah.

Neato.  I’ll have to look that up.  Thanks!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2022, 12:05:18 PM »
Another interesting tangent. When I lived in CA, UT required no CA permit to get a Utah non-resident. I believe that was based on (non) reciprocity on the CA side. I do have to submit a copy of my ID permit when I renew my UT permit. I wonder if we will see changes to the non-resident permit process in various states if everyone is now "shall issue".

The first time I got my Utah permit, I did not have to have a Washington permit.  By the time I renewed, the Washington permit was required.  I read something on their website saying that it was a new Utah legal/regulatory requirement passed by the Legislature.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.