Author Topic: Being reported the Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe v. Wade  (Read 32990 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Do any of you think Amber Heard had anything to do with the leak?  This has effectively taken that trial off the news headlines.   =D :laugh:   Probably not.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
On the other side, I wondered if someone might be trying to affect the election, but this opinion should have been issued by this summer so it would come out before the election anyway.  I can't see why this would be leaked except to 1) influence a Justice to change their vote, or 2) just someone foolish who talks too much and leaked an old draft. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I think it would have more advantageous for the dems for the leak to have occurred right before the election giving less time for emotions to subside
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Do any of you think Amber Heard had anything to do with the leak?  This has effectively taken that trial off the news headlines.   =D :laugh:   Probably not.

Even knocked Ukraine off the front page on BBCnews.com
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
To be honest, given the emotions surrounding the subject, I'd not at all be surprised if this leak was at the behest, or at least with the blessing of, one of the liberals on the court.

To add to this, an important point to consider, IMO, is that this is really not about Roe v Wade and abortion, but any subject "X" that creates high emotions, and the integrity of the SC and its ability to operate in a trusted manner.

While it's very early, emotions are high, and the MSM needs hyperbolic stories, it's interesting to see that  secondary fallout from this is the news suddenly going from "Republicans steamrolling the 2022 elections" to a potential dem comeback, specifically because of abortion. Kinda makes you want to put on the tinfoil and think about all the potential players, in and out of the SC.

Edit: I see several posts mentioned elections as I was typing. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Oh, apropos of absolutely nothing, I see that insurrections are patriotic again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
This could also be the Dems "October Surprise".  Even if not planned that way, it will still have an affect on the mid-terms, likely giving the Dems a boost.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
I think it would have more advantageous for the dems for the leak to have occurred right before the election giving less time for emotions to subside
I am thinking that also.  For election effects, it would have been better to wait for the actual decision to come out.  May is pretty early for an election surprise.  All the primaries aren't even over.

The only thing I can imagine is if the final draft is more watered down and someone wanted to leak an earlier draft.  That doesn't make as much sense.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I am thinking that also.  For election effects, it would have been better to wait for the actual decision to come out.  May is pretty early for an election surprise.  All the primaries aren't even over.

I suppose an Occam's razor is that if the leaker is anything like the woke, Ivy League 20-somethings we always see interviewed for their "bright, young opinion", he or she likely wasn't thinking strategically.

WLJ

• friends
This was posted an hour or two, if I got the times right, before the "leak" hit the news.

A message to Amazon staff said that the firm will pay up to $4,000 (£3,201) in travel expenses each year for treatments not available nearby.

Several other companies have announced plans that ensure staff have access to abortions.

Amazon will pay US staff travel expenses for abortions and other treatments
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61301911
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Expect attempts on right leaning justices lives
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Has a sitting Justice ever been removed from the bench?

If the leak is tied to a SCOTUS staffer, there could be several administrative layers between them and a Justice. Heads will roll, but it's unlikely a particular Justice will suffer any ill PR due to the separation. Unless, of course, someone could prove collusion.

If it's an intern, that's Justice-specific. I would expect any Justice in that situation to immediately and proactively lower the proverbial boom, and in the harshest way possible. Even if the Justice isn't actively complicit, not taking action implicates them in the scandal. It also evidences a lack of respect for SCOTUS sanctity and objective jurisprudence, an unfathomable attitude for a sitting Justice.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
I thought an SC Justice or any federal judge would have be removed via impeachment proceedings. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Amit Jain, the intern for Sotomayor who's name is being bandied about as a potential leak source, appears to have some history of left wing-ism and a previous association with the reporter who broke the story. Interesting, yes, but still circumstantial, and then only barely. Anything else on background besides the stuff currently making social media rounds?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Amit Jain, the intern for Sotomayor who's name is being bandied about as a potential leak source, appears to have some history of left wing-ism and a previous association with the reporter who broke the story. Interesting, yes, but still circumstantial, and then only barely. Anything else on background besides the stuff currently making social media rounds?

Brad

I'm not gonna call it on him at this point either, but even if innocent of this, his history should have been easily found in his background investigation and he should have never been given a job in the SC.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Uggggh an abortion war, that's just what we need in 2022.

Maybe stirring up that old controversy will keep the public's mind off the fact that their standard of living is declining.

Pb

• friend
I hope Roe v. Wade is struck down.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Unbiased MSM:

Ian Millhiser
@imillhiser
Seriously, shout out to whoever the hero was within the Supreme Court who said “*expletive deleted*ck it! Let’s burn this place down.”

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 01:52:55 PM by 230RN »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Uggggh an abortion war, that's just what we need in 2022.

Why not?  We've had almost everything else this year, and it's only May.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Even knocked Ukraine off the front page on BBCnews.com

<sarcasm>

I'm not saying Russians, but Russians did it.

</sarcasm>

Especially since they escalated their attack on Mariupol overnight.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
That repetition by one Justice that no right is absolute always irked me.  While it is technically accurate (incarceration, execution, e.g.), it opens wide the door to limitless abrogation of all rights.  Any and all whose "common sense" says we should all become moon-worshipers can shout that phrase in support of their position.

Ben is going to call this ridiculous, but look at the full implications of "no right is absolute" as stated by a Supreme Court Justice.

You can't think "community standards" on this one.
At some point, you have think:  My rights may not be absolute, but a Supreme Court Judge should understand that no one (including themselves) should be deciding what limits should be placed on them.  That is what makes them 'rights' rather than a privilege.

sumpnz

• friend
Has a sitting Justice ever been removed from the bench?

No.  Only 1 has had impeachment proceedings, but was not convicted and removed.  That was Samuel Chase in 1805.

Abe Fortas resigned from SCOTUS in 1969 under threat of impeachment.

William O Douglas had 2 impeachment attempts made (1953 and 1970) but none were successful.

WLJ

• friends
Two things of note here
One the doc has been verified as authentic by Roberts but does NOT represents a decision by the SC or any final position of any member.
Two An investigation is being launched

BREAKING: Chief Justice John Roberts has directed the marshal of the Supreme Court to launch an investigation into the source of the leaked draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade, which Roberts verified as an authentic document pic.twitter.com/vcq4lTY7bk

— John Kruzel (@johnkruzel) May 3, 2022

BREAKING: Chief Justice John Roberts directs marshal of the Supreme Court to launch investigation into SCOTUS leak of now-verified draft
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/05/03/breaking-chief-justice-john-roberts-directs-marshal-of-the-supreme-court-to-launch-investigation-into-scotus-leak-of-now-verified-draft/
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
On further thought, if this is a real leak, I think an appropriate punishment should be life in prison.

I'm not sure there's a statute that clearly applies for even a slap on the wrist, let alone real prison time. This stuff isn't classified.

In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.