Author Topic: Being reported the Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe v. Wade  (Read 32997 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Being reported the Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe v. Wade
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2022, 05:49:41 PM »
It appears that DHS's philosophy is that since we expect the far left to violently riot when they don't get their way, it doesn't qualify as domestic terrorism.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/05/18/dhs-memo-reportedly-clarifies-that-pro-abort-threats-against-scotus-dont-necessarily-constitute-domestic-violent-extremism-or-illegal-activity/

About that

DOOCY: "Are these threats from pro-abortion activists or anti-abortion activists?"

Karine Jean-Pierre: "It seems like to us that it is very one-sided on what we call out as intimidation or as violence." pic.twitter.com/kEq2PI1fWT

— Townhall.com (@townhallcom) May 18, 2022
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/05/18/karine-jean-pierre-says-it-seems-very-one-sided-who-is-calling-for-violence-against-the-supreme-court/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:20:32 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2022, 06:30:07 PM »
“As the president said, if your actions result in only saving one life, they’re worth taking. But I’m convinced we can affect the well-being of millions of americans and take thousands of people out of harm’s way if we act responsibly.”
- Joe Biden 2013
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2022, 10:20:56 AM »
What difference is there from killing a late term fetus and a born child?

There is no meaningful difference.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #279 on: May 19, 2022, 11:06:13 AM »
What difference is there from killing a late term fetus and a born child?

There is no meaningful difference.

One's easier to explain away.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #280 on: May 19, 2022, 03:04:17 PM »
Apparently you can't live and love without abortion

Kamala Harris says that overturning Roe v. Wade would be on an assault on the right "to live and love without interference from the government." pic.twitter.com/IoNdQYO38n

— Townhall.com (@townhallcom) May 19, 2022
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/05/19/kamala-harris-overturning-roe-v-wade-would-be-a-direct-assault-on-the-fundamental-right-to-live-and-love-without-govt-interference-video/

Well now you know
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 03:42:51 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2022, 09:53:34 AM »
And to top that take
Get ready for the jihad
    They're not going to be satisfied with forced birth state by state. They're going to go for a national forced birth law. And then they're coming for everything else. The SCOTUS ending "right to privacy" puts it ALL ON THE TABLE: gay marriage, LGBTQ rights, anti-discrimination… https://t.co/bLJLKMfxkX

— Joy-Ann (Pro-Democracy) Reid 😷 (@JoyAnnReid) May 20, 2022
    Y'all keep comforting yourselves, believing Alito and the other Christian nationalists on the SCOTUS won't come for your communities. Making abortion illegal will satisfy them, right? …Christian nationalists believe they are fighting a war for God. People in a jihad don't stop.

— Joy-Ann (Pro-Democracy) Reid 😷 (@JoyAnnReid) May 20, 2022
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/05/20/literally-too-dumb-to-insult-joy-reid-jumps-the-shark-and-goes-off-the-tracks-in-crazy-bigoted-claim-about-national-forced-birth-law/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2022, 10:20:12 AM »
So, we have a nation-wide prohibition on enslaving people (and a thousand lesser crimes). What, exactly, is so horrifying about a nation-wide ban on killing people in the womb?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »
So, we have a nation-wide prohibition on enslaving people (and a thousand lesser crimes). What, exactly, is so horrifying about a nation-wide ban on killing people in the womb?
I'd note that the now nationwide ban on enslaving people was initially almost completely driven by crazy Christian abolitionists as well.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2022, 10:37:13 AM »
I'd note that the now nationwide ban on enslaving people was initially almost completely driven by crazy Christian abolitionists as well.

And they were for the most part republicans.

Ask any recent HS and/or college grad and many will tell you democrats.
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2022, 10:45:26 AM »
The early abolitionists significantly predate the republican party, but good point.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2022, 11:14:30 AM »
The early abolitionists significantly predate the republican party, but good point.

The early abolitionists were what formed the Republican Party.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2022, 11:14:35 AM »

Ask any recent HS and/or college grad and many will tell you democrats.
I wonder who told them that?  Oh yeah, democrats. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2022, 11:17:37 AM »
I wonder who told them that?  Oh yeah, democrats.

I think for the most part they're leaving it out while training their students to automatically assume dem.
Also many will tell you the Ds and Rs switched sides at some point so that the Rs then are today's Ds and vice versa so it was actually the Ds who freed the slaves.
No wonder our kids are so confused now
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:59:38 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2022, 12:21:56 PM »

My understanding is, they were a radical fringe at the time, so they would have only been a small percentage of the early Republicans. Most Republicans would have been anti-slavery, but not abolitionist.

If I correctly recall, the Garrisonian wing of the abolitionist movement wouldn't involve themselves in party politics. To do so would legitimize the American political system, which was tainted by slavery.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #290 on: May 20, 2022, 03:26:01 PM »
Back on target

AOC thought we needed another reason to despise her

AOC claims that the notion that abortion is ‘harming a life’ is just something toxic ‘fundamentalist Christians’ made up [video]
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/05/20/aoc-claims-that-the-notion-that-abortion-is-harming-a-life-is-just-something-toxic-fundamentalist-christians-made-up-video/

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #291 on: May 20, 2022, 04:00:57 PM »
    BREAKING: San Francisco @ArchCordileone announces that Speaker Nancy Pelosi is barred from receiving Holy Communion due to her public support of abortion.https://t.co/ohwloPzOBE

— Adam Shaw (C) (@AdamShawNY) May 20, 2022

.@ArchCordileone tells Pelosi she is not to present herself for communion "until such time as you publically repudiate your advocacy for the legitimacy of abortion and confess and receive absolution of this grave sin in the sacrament of Penance." https://t.co/ohwloPzOBE

— Adam Shaw (C) (@AdamShawNY) May 20, 2022
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/05/20/san-fran-archbishop-cordileone-bars-nancy-pelosi-from-receiving-holy-communion-over-her-very-public-support-of-abortion/

Waiting on Pelosi's response  [popcorn]

- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #292 on: May 20, 2022, 04:50:17 PM »

And they were racist AF about it still.  Most of them wanted to ship the poor benighted negroes across the Pond to Liberia; nevermind they weren't born there, and more than likely even their grandparents weren't born there.

Northern anti-slavery was about the 3/5 compromise in representation, along with profits from industrialization and replacing the low-tech meat machine slaves that presented no profit for Northern industrial concerns, with modern 19th century machinery to reduce labor (that was produced in Northern States).

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #293 on: May 20, 2022, 05:24:01 PM »
And they were racist AF about it still.  Most of them wanted to ship the poor benighted negroes across the Pond to Liberia; nevermind they weren't born there, and more than likely even their grandparents weren't born there.

Northern anti-slavery was about the 3/5 compromise in representation, along with profits from industrialization and replacing the low-tech meat machine slaves that presented no profit for Northern industrial concerns, with modern 19th century machinery to reduce labor (that was produced in Northern States).

I think you might want to check your sources on this post. Off-shoring the freedmen was certainly on the table in those days, but was it really the favored solution of "most" abolitionists?

Also, wouldn't ending slavery mean the South gets more representation? They'd get to count the other 2/5 of the population. (Some of the freedmen might go north, but still).

Finally, was slave labor really a threat to Northern manufacturing? The North seems to have been doing just fine on that score. Or do you refer to mechanized farm implements? I thought that was largely a post-war development. Tractors came along decades later, right?

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #295 on: May 20, 2022, 06:09:11 PM »

Also, wouldn't ending slavery mean the South gets more representation? They'd get to count the other 2/5 of the population. (Some of the freedmen might go north, but still).

3/5 Compromise dictated the number of allotted Representatives that slave-owning States would get, because House Delegates and Electoral College count were a function of population.  Your comment here is rather tone-deaf and I don't think you thought it through completely.

Slaves could not vote in the South, so the representational "weight" of the slaves was a State-level communal asset enjoyed by the voting populace as a function of having more votes in the House of Representatives and Electoral College.

Once slaves were freed and able to vote, the representational weight of the Southern States as a function of House Delegates and Electoral College count did indeed increase... but the votes of the land-owners and former slave-owners were cancelled out by the enormous increase in former slaves that could now vote and may not vote in the same manner as the former slave-owner.  Which was the whole reason for the Jim Crow laws and voter intimidation/suppression actions of certain groups.

I think you might want to check your sources on this post. Off-shoring the freedmen was certainly on the table in those days, but was it really the favored solution of "most" abolitionists?

I'm content to be challenged on that; it's been awhile since I've read anything about the Civil War and Abolitionist movement.  My stance is based on content I encountered and could be weighted by anecdotal experience rather than comprehensive analysis.  Then again, the same could be same for your rebuttal.

Finally, was slave labor really a threat to Northern manufacturing? The North seems to have been doing just fine on that score. Or do you refer to mechanized farm implements? I thought that was largely a post-war development. Tractors came along decades later, right?

The first "combine" was the McCormick Reaper, invented in the 1830's. 

https://www.britannica.com/video/226769/why-was-the-McCormick-Reaper-so-important

When grain was harvested by hand, a huge number of laborers were required. A farmer who didn’t have enough people to complete the harvest had to either accept crop loss or pay exorbitant wages to hire peak-season workers. The McCormick reaper offered hope to farmers that the yield of their fields might no longer be limited by the number of available farmhands. Over the next few decades, news of the invention spread to every part of the United States—and even across the pond to England and France. By 1856 McCormick was selling more than 4,000 mechanical reapers to farmers each year.

1849 saw the introduction of the first commercial chemical fertilizers.  John Deere and others started offering interchangeable blade plows around this time, and the 1860's saw the introduction of gang plows with multiple bits able to produce multiple furrows. 

Lots of this tech depended upon animals to make use of, but they were absolutely labor savers and cut dependence on either hired hands or slaves.  And predominantly manufactured and sold by Northern industrial centers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #296 on: May 20, 2022, 07:32:23 PM »
3/5 Compromise dictated the number of allotted Representatives that slave-owning States would get, because House Delegates and Electoral College count were a function of population.  Your comment here is rather tone-deaf and I don't think you thought it through completely.

Slaves could not vote in the South, so the representational "weight" of the slaves was a State-level communal asset enjoyed by the voting populace as a function of having more votes in the House of Representatives and Electoral College.

Once slaves were freed and able to vote, the representational weight of the Southern States as a function of House Delegates and Electoral College count did indeed increase... but the votes of the land-owners and former slave-owners were cancelled out by the enormous increase in former slaves that could now vote and may not vote in the same manner as the former slave-owner.  Which was the whole reason for the Jim Crow laws and voter intimidation/suppression actions of certain groups.

Not sure what you mean by "tone-deaf."

When you brought up the 3/5 clause, I guess you were talking about the added advantage the slave-owners got, from having extra representation. Kinda obvious now that I think about it, but for some reason I thought you meant they wanted to end slavery so the 3/5 thing would no longer be a factor. Also, I was assuming the freedmen would not get to vote (or not much). Which is pretty much what happened.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2022, 08:27:26 PM »
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/05/20/san-fran-archbishop-cordileone-bars-nancy-pelosi-from-receiving-holy-communion-over-her-very-public-support-of-abortion/

Waiting on Pelosi's response  [popcorn]

Well, she's a DEVOUT Catholic, don't you know, just like our Beloved President, who thinks only of his Christian duty as a light that guides him from morning until night...

But obviously that shaman, yes SHAMAN! is nothing but a racist fascist who knows nothing about God's love.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2022, 09:38:03 PM »
Letting your religion guide you in your politickin' - it's so beautiful and wholesome and spiritual. If you're a Leftist.

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design