Author Topic: Being reported the Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe v. Wade  (Read 33009 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Being reported the Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe v. Wade
« Reply #375 on: June 23, 2022, 08:52:42 PM »
RKL just kinda hit what my fear is

Because honestly, on either issue, I could see a DA trying to push such a prosecution as a grandstand.

You're afraid they'll go after someone that's falsely accused, or someone that's guilty?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #376 on: June 24, 2022, 07:10:48 AM »
You're afraid they'll go after someone that's falsely accused, or someone that's guilty?

So you'd be OK with a jurisdiction prosecuting someone that committed an act that is not a crime where the act was committed but is a crime where the prosecution occurs?
In oklahoma it is illegal to hunt alligators. If I travel to Louisiana and hunted and killed an alligator following all applicable state and federal laws in that jurisdiction should Oklahoma be able to prosecute me when I return home?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #377 on: June 24, 2022, 07:28:46 AM »
So you'd be OK with a jurisdiction prosecuting someone that committed an act that is not a crime where the act was committed but is a crime where the prosecution occurs?
In oklahoma it is illegal to hunt alligators. If I travel to Louisiana and hunted and killed an alligator following all applicable state and federal laws in that jurisdiction should Oklahoma be able to prosecute me when I return home?

While not a legal action, this is a pretty good example that happened around ten years ago:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2012/08/08/california-wildlife-official-replaced-after-killing-mountain-lion-in-idaho/

A CA wildlife official came to Idaho to legally hunt mountain lions and was then forced to resign from his state position because CA doesn't allow lion hunting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: June 24, 2022, 08:08:41 AM »
Heinous, vile, and backward as I find abortion to be, I don't like the idea of one state enforcing their laws on someone who was in another state with different laws.  I think that's a legitimate place for the Federal government to step in.  That said, I'll withhold my personal moral panic for when a DA actually starts going after a woman for killing her baby in a state in which it is legal to do so, or when a state law authorizing such a prosecution becomes a serious possibility.

This particular argument strikes me as similar to the feigned concern by pro-abortion advocates about cases of rape or incest.  That is to say, the extreme edge case (and in this case entirely speculative) Motte used whenever there is pushback on the much less palatable Bailey of wanting women to be able to kill their baby for any reason at any time.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #379 on: June 24, 2022, 10:17:43 AM »
Just heard on Fox Business. Overturned.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #380 on: June 24, 2022, 10:22:08 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #381 on: June 24, 2022, 10:23:18 AM »
That’s a nice birthday present!!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #383 on: June 24, 2022, 10:27:03 AM »
Riots commence in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #384 on: June 24, 2022, 10:29:25 AM »
Riots commence in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

You mean "peaceful protests supported by the White House".

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #385 on: June 24, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
I thought this was a great analogy:

This "federal ban on abortion" is as much a ban on abortion as overturning the national 55 mph speed limit was a ban on speed limits.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #386 on: June 24, 2022, 10:34:47 AM »
Also, for this and the New York decision, thank you President Donald Trump.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #387 on: June 24, 2022, 10:36:14 AM »
Also, for this and the New York decision, thank you President Donald Trump.

+1

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #388 on: June 24, 2022, 10:46:15 AM »

I didn't say that, but are you OK with someone murdering their kid and getting away with it?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #389 on: June 24, 2022, 11:01:05 AM »
They're the ones who are gonna have to live with it on their consciences. I don't wish to support it - financially, or otherwise.
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #390 on: June 24, 2022, 11:03:06 AM »
I didn't say that, but are you OK with someone murdering their kid and getting away with it?

I certainly don't agree with the concept of abortion as birth control however it is a fact, that as abhorrent as it is, abortion is currently legal on a federal level and will be controlled by the states as is appropriate. If you think it would be appropriate to prosecute a woman for travelling from her state of residence, where she is legally barred from getting an abortion to a state where it is legally allowed then my previous example is just as valid.
The only solution to satisfy your concern is to enact a federal law banning abortion.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #391 on: June 24, 2022, 11:07:40 AM »
6-3 again
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #392 on: June 24, 2022, 11:36:29 AM »
The stupid is strong with this one and it's the kind of stupid that gets people killed.

Go to the home of every Supreme Court justice who just voted to kill women. Let them know how you feel

— Cameron Kasky (@cameron_kasky) June 24, 2022
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/06/24/parkland-shooting-survivor-cameron-kasky-urges-followers-to-go-to-the-home-of-every-supreme-court-justice-who-just-voted-to-kill-women/
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #393 on: June 24, 2022, 11:37:51 AM »
On crossing state lines....

Would it be okay to take a two year old child into another state or nation where it is legal to kill them, do so, and then return without them?

No, because the child has the inalienable right to life, same as the unborn child.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: June 24, 2022, 11:54:28 AM »
On crossing state lines....

Would it be okay to take a two year old child into another state or nation where it is legal to kill them, do so, and then return without them?

No, because the child has the inalienable right to life, same as the unborn child.
If you take your own child across state lines and kill them, it is not up to your home state to prosecute the murder.  Rather, it is up to the state with jurisdiction where the crime (or non-crime) was committed.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #395 on: June 24, 2022, 12:06:04 PM »

The only solution to satisfy your concern is to enact a federal law banning abortion.

I can almost agree with that. Just have to replace "satisfy your concerns" with "have laws that defend basic human rights, like the right not to be knocked off by your own mother."

There's a lot of pearl-clutching going on over what looks like a relatively minor issue, compared to the whole child-murdering thing.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #396 on: June 24, 2022, 12:09:42 PM »
If you take your own child across state lines and kill them, it is not up to your home state to prosecute the murder.  Rather, it is up to the state with jurisdiction where the crime (or non-crime) was committed.

Doesn't the child have a basic expectation of not being transported for the purposes of rights deprivation (being killed)?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #397 on: June 24, 2022, 12:24:33 PM »

There are already federal laws banning citizens from leaving the USA, travelling to places where child rape is legal, and raping children there.

It is called extraterritorial jurisdiction.  It is a real thing.

https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/citizens-guide-us-federal-law-extraterritorial-sexual-exploitation-children

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #398 on: June 24, 2022, 12:36:50 PM »
    In 1982 Joe Biden proposes a constitutional amendment that would overturn Roe v. Wade and allow states to choose their own policies on abortion.https://t.co/5aFcpaATGo

— David Harsanyi (@davidharsanyi) June 24, 2022

In 1994, Biden brags that he has voted against abortion funding on 50 separate occasions. He voted for partial birth abortion bans twice.https://t.co/XiVbeBM32x

— David Harsanyi (@davidharsanyi) June 24, 2022
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/06/24/oof-thats-gotta-sting-thread-shows-democrats-elected-the-most-pro-life-democrat-maybe-ever-when-they-elected-biden/
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: June 24, 2022, 01:44:31 PM »
Doesn't the child have a basic expectation of not being transported for the purposes of rights deprivation (being killed)?
You're addressing a different point altogether, and simultaneously falling into a pro-abortion trap.

There are already federal laws banning citizens from leaving the USA, travelling to places where child rape is legal, and raping children there.
Take it up with Article III of the the US Constitution my good man.