Author Topic: Being reported the Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe v. Wade  (Read 33018 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Being reported the Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe v. Wade
« Reply #400 on: June 24, 2022, 02:48:38 PM »
I don't think the first out of state abortion case will be against someone getting the abortion.  It will be against someone who is basically a sales agent for the abortion provider.  I doubt Planned Parenthood will close their clinics in Texas and they will be recruiting for out of state abortions.  Just my prediction. 

Have any states where abortion is illegal passed a law trying to outlaw getting an abortion in another state? (I hadn't heard of any, but some laws may be worded that way).  Have any of the Governors or Attorney Generals talked about it?  Just seems like you are arguing about a potential issue that you don't know will even happen. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: June 24, 2022, 02:58:04 PM »
Just seems like you are arguing about a potential issue that you don't know will even happen.
It's a clever bit of manipulation on the part of the pro-abortionists.  A hand grenade designed to pit the most ideologically pure anti-abortionists against the anti-abortionists for whom limited government and the Constitution is also important.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #402 on: June 24, 2022, 03:03:37 PM »
One of the Left's squawks is about how RvW was a "Constitutional right", something all but the most mindless know to be a LIE.  While RvW made abortion "legal", it was only able to do so by usurping the rights of the States to make those decisions.
I don't like the idea of abortions for "family planning" but I also don't like the restrictions that so many states (like Missouri) are putting on their books.  Any pregnancy resulting from a crime (rape or incest) SHOULD be allowed, up to even 6 months !  Some younger victims might no be aware they are pregnant for a variety of reasons (lack of education mostly) that it might take that long for them to find out.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2022, 03:04:40 PM »
I don't think the first out of state abortion case will be against someone getting the abortion.  It will be against someone who is basically a sales agent for the abortion provider.  I doubt Planned Parenthood will close their clinics in Texas and they will be recruiting for out of state abortions.  Just my prediction. 

Have any states where abortion is illegal passed a law trying to outlaw getting an abortion in another state? (I hadn't heard of any, but some laws may be worded that way).  Have any of the Governors or Attorney Generals talked about it?  Just seems like you are arguing about a potential issue that you don't know will even happen.

I know that after Idaho passed our new abortion laws (tied up in court by a planned parenthood lawsuit, but maybe not after today?) planned parenthood immediately expanded their services in Ontario, OR, right across the border (about an hour from Boise). I'm not sure if they did the same thing in Spokane, WA (about 40min from Coeur d'Alene).

They specifically said it was to serve Idaho women seeking abortions.

Edit: Actually, I just read that the Idaho law will go into effect in 30 days. All abortions banned except in the case of rape, incest, or to protect the mother's life.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 03:25:04 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #404 on: June 24, 2022, 03:27:12 PM »
There was a family somewhere around here that had almost a full-time gig monitoring and picketing one of the fake clinics (since the Left is now using that term) on the Illinois side of the river. The "clinic" apparently had a reputation for their willingness to perform late-term murders, and the family (don't recall the name anymore) kept track of what states people were driving in from.

So I could envision some very activist people jotting down out-of-state license plates, and reporting them. If there are any states willing to do anything about it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #405 on: June 24, 2022, 03:38:08 PM »
One of the Left's squawks is about how RvW was a "Constitutional right", something all but the most mindless know to be a LIE.  While RvW made abortion "legal", it was only able to do so by usurping the rights of the States to make those decisions.
I don't like the idea of abortions for "family planning" but I also don't like the restrictions that so many states (like Missouri) are putting on their books.  Any pregnancy resulting from a crime (rape or incest) SHOULD be allowed, up to even 6 months !  Some younger victims might no be aware they are pregnant for a variety of reasons (lack of education mostly) that it might take that long for them to find out.

I am very happy to see that Missouri's law protects the rights of everyone, even people who have the misfortune of being the child of a rapist, or of incestuous parents. I guess some people don't see them as being worthy of protection.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #406 on: June 24, 2022, 05:44:38 PM »

Wouldn't that incentivized false rape claims?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #407 on: June 24, 2022, 06:28:13 PM »
I predict a huge Democrat voter turnout in the midterms.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #409 on: June 24, 2022, 07:20:58 PM »
Eh ... maybe not so much:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-poll-15-percent-voters-view-abortion-most-important-election-issue-economy-top

Yup. It's another small, screeching minority. Within a few months they'll find that nothing much has changed in the states where their politics are the majority. For the screechers that are in states that will now restrict abortions, that's being done because the majority in those states want it, and will vote accordingly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #410 on: June 24, 2022, 07:34:13 PM »
What's going to happen is losing a bunch of independents in the states that go full ban. I won't vote dem but there is no guaranty I will vote gop.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #411 on: June 24, 2022, 07:39:38 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #412 on: June 24, 2022, 08:49:02 PM »
The outcome means immediate abortion bans in roughly half the states, including Kentucky.

That's due to HB 148, a "trigger law," which was signed in 2019 by then-Gov. Matt Bevin. The law states that all abortions would be immediately illegal should Roe v. Wade ever be overturned.
There will be very limited instances where abortions would be allowed, like to prevent the death or serious injury of the person giving birth. But according to Gov. Andy Beshear, this would not include instances of rape or incest.

Abortions in Kentucky immediately banned with overturning of Roe v. Wade
https://www.wlky.com/article/abortions-kentucky-banned-illegal-supreme-court-roe-v-wade/40406350
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #413 on: June 24, 2022, 08:56:28 PM »

Yup. I think interest in the abortion issue might tick up a bit, in the immediate aftermath of the decision becoming official. As Ben said, though, people will eventually see that it's not the apocalypse. Inflation, high gas prices, etc., will still be problems, so this won't do much to blunt the red wave.

Red wave:

So Planned Parenthood has claimed abortion is only 3% of what they do. Anti-abortion activists have said they really don't do much of anything else, and are for-profit abortion mills. Will be interesting to see if PPs stay open in the forced-birth patriarchy states. Guess the blue state PPs might get enough of that sweet abortion money to keep the others afloat.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #414 on: June 24, 2022, 09:23:57 PM »
Looks like Liz Cheney's new friends aren't super-thrilled at her reaction to today's news.  =D 

And she's been courting them to save her bacon in her home state.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #415 on: June 24, 2022, 09:34:14 PM »
I'm out and about in small town Iowa, there is a lot of angry women. My wife was even pissed when she came home from work. I'm out by myself because it's hostile at home. I ran out of outside work at home so I headed uptown to the brewery. I know it's a small observation but I'm keeping my mouth shut. My conversations with friends have been about the battle between my resident Jack squirrel named Spiderman and the extremely territorial house wren.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:49:18 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #416 on: June 24, 2022, 09:45:05 PM »
A lot of women who have never, and likely would never personally get an abortion have still been brainwashed with the notion that abortion is somehow a key factor in their lives and ability to have any hope of parity with men in our culture.  In another 10-20 years we shall see where attitudes, especially with women that come of age during that time frame, wind up.  The general trend has been away from radical pro-abortion stances.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #417 on: June 24, 2022, 10:28:02 PM »
 [tinfoil]
Is this the watershed event that kicks off the bugaloo?
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #418 on: June 24, 2022, 11:25:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/AntifaWatch2/status/1540355358618750976

Some of the protests planned by those unhappy with the Dobbs ruling.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #419 on: June 24, 2022, 11:39:16 PM »
Yup. I think interest in the abortion issue might tick up a bit, in the immediate aftermath of the decision becoming official. As Ben said, though, people will eventually see that it's not the apocalypse. Inflation, high gas prices, etc., will still be problems, so this won't do much to blunt the red wave.

Red wave:

So Planned Parenthood has claimed abortion is only 3% of what they do. Anti-abortion activists have said they really don't do much of anything else, and are for-profit abortion mills. Will be interesting to see if PPs stay open in the forced-birth patriarchy states. Guess the blue state PPs might get enough of that sweet abortion money to keep the others afloat.
PP is still getting govt funding I think.  I think they still try to keep some of their locations open.  It would highlight the lie if they suddenly close down in ban states. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #420 on: June 24, 2022, 11:48:05 PM »
I predict a huge Democrat voter turnout in the midterms.
Just my opinion:
1.  I thought I heard in the past that more pro-lifers had abortion as their top issue than pro-abortion people.  That was a long time ago so opinions may have shifted.  Still going to be a mixed reaction I think. 
2.  The majority of the voters have never had abortion as their top issue.  Again, old info that I think is still probably true.
3.  I think the old statement "its the economy stupid" still applies.  Plenty of opportunities for people to be reminded when they fill up the gas tank.
4.  Still 3 more months before we hit October with early voting.  Plenty of time for other issues to climb back to the front page. 

I guess we will see in November.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #421 on: June 25, 2022, 01:20:35 AM »
Just my opinion:
1.  I thought I heard in the past that more pro-lifers had abortion as their top issue than pro-abortion people.  That was a long time ago so opinions may have shifted.  Still going to be a mixed reaction I think. 

Pro-lifers will mostly remain animated because now instead of one massive fight at the federal level it’s going to be lots of relatively smaller fights at the state level.  Both to fend off challenges to pro-life laws but also to try to turn pro-abortion states into pro-life states.

For pro-lifers this isn’t the end.  It’s not even the beginning of the end.  It’s barely the end of the beginning.  Apologies to my 6th cousin for stealing his line.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #422 on: June 25, 2022, 06:36:17 AM »
A very good piece on what’s wrong with the “if it’s not written explicitly in the constitution it’s not a right” theory. There’s a solid argument that what just happened is judicial activism dressed up as “plain reading”:

https://reason.com/2022/06/24/alitos-abortion-ruling-overturning-roe-is-an-insult-to-the-9th-amendment/?fbclid=IwAR2HX5fexdxF-gYcpK6oNQBWXRO8x-ZqVDz-vukDCb8oOD5Nljq8M_BUuXw&fs=e&s=cl

Madison's attempt became enshrined in the Constitution as the Ninth Amendment. Here is what it says: "The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." In short, unenumerated rights get the same respect as enumerated ones.

William Blackstone's widely read Commentaries on the Laws of England, first published in 1765, made this exact point: Life "begins in contemplation of law as soon as an infant is able to stir in the mother's womb." Under the common law, Blackstone explained, legal penalties for abortion only occurred "if a woman is quick with child, and by a potion, or otherwise, killeth it in her womb."

Blackstone's work was a major influence on America's founding generation. The founders read Blackstone and they well understood that abortion was legal during the early stages of pregnancy under the common law. What is more, because every state at the time of the founding followed the common law as described by Blackstone, no state originally possessed the lawful power to prohibit abortion before quickening. We might call this the original understanding of the regulatory powers of the states.

That same original understanding extends to the Ninth Amendment. Because the states followed the common law at the founding, the American people originally understood that lawmakers lacked the lawful power to prohibit women from ending an unwanted pregnancy during its early stages. The freedom to end an unwanted pregnancy before quickening thus falls within the original meaning and understanding of a right "retained by the people."
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #423 on: June 25, 2022, 09:06:26 AM »
Slightly tangential, but I just heard Biden, right before he signed the new gun legislation, stating that the feds will be watching states and will take legal action against any state that attempts to block women from crossing state lines for an abortion.

So what if someone wants to cross from CA to AZ to buy 30 round mags or unbutchered ARs, or even more applicably, to buy ammo which they can otherwise only buy in person, in state?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #424 on: June 25, 2022, 09:08:31 AM »

So what if someone wants to cross from CA to AZ to buy 30 round mags or unbutchered ARs, or even more applicably, to buy ammo which they can otherwise only buy in person, in state?

Be sure to wave to the person going the other way for an abortion
- Calvin and Hobbes