Author Topic: Being reported the Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe v. Wade  (Read 33057 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Being reported the Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe v. Wade
« Reply #450 on: June 26, 2022, 03:58:23 AM »
I generally agree with that position as do i think most people. The problem is that we cannot agree on what constitutes a living human being. Your fellow travelers have attempted to push it to the point that killing an unborn baby up to and including at the moment of birth is OK.
At what point does a human life begin? At the moment of conception is one side of the argument. The other side is apparently some as yet undefined period of time after the birth occurs.
That is what the disagreement comes down to. One side sees it as eliminating an unwanted mass of tissue, the other side sees it as murder.

Roe V Wade was just a mass of words!
 :cool:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #452 on: June 26, 2022, 08:35:25 AM »
Roe V Wade was just a mass of words!
 :cool:

Somebody said something
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: June 26, 2022, 08:52:58 AM »
https://www.kff.org/womens-health-policy/fact-sheet/abortions-later-in-pregnancy/ Can someone provide actual data on the number of abortions done at birth?
Do you think it is more or less than the number of nuclear weapons in private hands?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #454 on: June 26, 2022, 09:18:10 AM »
Side note - pregnancy centers are "fake abortion clinics".  ;/

https://www.kivitv.com/news/roe-v-wade-overturned-what-to-know-and-how-to-spot-anti-abortion-fake-clinics-in-idaho

If you suspect a business to be one of these "fake clinics" advertising abortion in Idaho, you can report one of these businesses through the Idaho Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division or you can file a direct complaint through the Idaho Attorney General's website.

So Planned Parenthood and KIVI News 6 want people to call the AG's office to harass crisis pregnancy centers.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #455 on: June 26, 2022, 09:24:19 AM »
So Planned Parenthood and KIVI News 6 want people to call the AG's office to harass crisis pregnancy centers.

With "turnabout fair play", perhaps people should report PP clinics to their AGs, since PP constantly calls themselves a "womens health clinic", but pushes abortions and downplays other options - the opposite of what they accuse pregnancy centers of doing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #456 on: June 26, 2022, 09:43:30 AM »
There is an article in the local paper bemoaning that the SCOTUS decision will make it more difficult to pass additional gun control laws at the local and state level.  I see the SAF in Bellevue has already mentioned that in the planned suit against Washington state for the 10 round plus magazine ban.  I sure hope that ban goes away.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #457 on: June 26, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
There is an article in the local paper bemoaning that the SCOTUS decision will make it more difficult to pass additional gun control laws at the local and state level.  I see the SAF in Bellevue has already mentioned that in the planned suit against Washington state for the 10 round plus magazine ban.  I sure hope that ban goes away.

On the guns/abortion thing: I can't remember where I read it, but apparently, CA, who has opened the doors to suing the gun industry if you get a jaywalking ticket, or by anyone for anything, is just now looking at passing legislation that would give the abortion industry immunity from lawsuits.

Seems like only one of these strategies could legally apply to both entities.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #458 on: June 26, 2022, 10:20:31 AM »
https://www.kff.org/womens-health-policy/fact-sheet/abortions-later-in-pregnancy/ Can someone provide actual data on the number of abortions done at birth?

They define late-term as being at 21 weeks or later. And:

just 1.2% of abortions are performed at or after 21 weeks (Figure 1). This amounts to approximately 5,200 abortions per year occurring at or after 21 weeks, however this is an underestimate as only 33 reporting areas report abortions to the CDC by gestational age.

When something happens thousands of times per year, would you call it a regular occurrence?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #459 on: June 26, 2022, 10:29:15 AM »
When something happens thousands of times per year, would you call it a regular occurrence?

How can we even know the numbers? I thought some states have privacy laws that would negate reporting that an abortion was performed?

Additionally, CNN has made a list of "states where you can get an abortion". I notice there is a lot of "before the fetus is viable" language, but they never give a number for viability. This list also mentions the states that allow abortion up to birth.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/13/us/abortion-rights-access-states-roe-v-wade/index.html

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #460 on: June 26, 2022, 10:32:48 AM »
How can we even know the numbers? I thought some states have privacy laws that would negate reporting that an abortion was performed?

Additionally, CNN has made a list of "states where you can get an abortion". I notice there is a lot of "before the fetus is viable" language, but they never give a number for viability. This list also mentions the states that allow abortion up to birth.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/13/us/abortion-rights-access-states-roe-v-wade/index.html

True, we don't have exact figures.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #461 on: June 26, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »
They define late-term as being at 21 weeks or later. And:

So you are saying that thousands of abortions at birth occur each year?  40 weeks gestational age?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #462 on: June 26, 2022, 11:21:25 AM »
. . .
When it comes to privacy laws, don't they get around that by scrubbing identity information from medical procedure reporting? For example, it's generally easy to get vaccination rates for the Chinese virus broken down by area and even by vaccine manufacturer, but names of the vaccinated aren't included.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #463 on: June 26, 2022, 11:34:39 AM »
When it comes to privacy laws, don't they get around that by scrubbing identity information from medical procedure reporting? For example, it's generally easy to get vaccination rates for the Chinese virus broken down by area and even by vaccine manufacturer, but names of the vaccinated aren't included.

Could be, but I'm wondering if, even if anonymous, data like at what point the pregnancy was aborted might or might not be included in statistics. Also, a state like CA may say, "no reporting under any circumstances", while another state might say, "anonymous reporting is allowed".

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #464 on: June 26, 2022, 12:58:34 PM »
I'm not sure how accurate the article is, but it seems to suggest that in Montana, even if they restrict abortions, the MT privacy laws would still allow abortions to take place, because those involved wouldn't have to tell anyone.

https://www.ktvh.com/news/montana-leaders-react-to-abortion-ruling-as-focus-shifts-to-states

Pb

• friend
« Reply #465 on: June 26, 2022, 01:13:56 PM »
Some years ago, I read about some research about why women get late term abortions (I think definition was something like 20+ weeks gestation).
I recall the first two reasons.

The most common reason cited was women who did not know they were pregnant (fat women with irregular cycles, I guess).  I actually went to high school with a guy whose wife supposedly didn't know she was pregnant until she went into labor.  That was the rumor anyway.   :O

The second most common reason for having a late term abortion cited was women who procrastinated getting an abortion.

I oppose elective abortions at any age.  The ones at later ages get me angrier though, as it is easier for me to identify with the baby, and those killing them have no real excuse that they don't realize what they are doing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #466 on: June 26, 2022, 01:30:28 PM »
I oppose elective abortions at any age.  The ones at later ages get me angrier though, as it is easier for me to identify with the baby, and those killing them have no real excuse that they don't realize what they are doing.

This, again in my opinion, is why the "pro-abortion" side likely lost a lot of goodwill from fence-sitters and even their own side of the fence. The closer a fetus looks to a baby versus "a clump of cells", I think it's only natural that people start to say, "Wait just a dang minute here."

As I'm seeing more "what other countries do" stuff in the news, it seems that a large majority of first world countries have an "under 12 weeks" line drawn for "okay" and "not okay".

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #467 on: June 26, 2022, 01:31:24 PM »
So you are saying that thousands of abortions at birth occur each year?  40 weeks gestational age?

Where are you getting that from?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #468 on: June 26, 2022, 02:01:48 PM »

I’m sure it’s super rare.  Even 1 is too many.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #469 on: June 26, 2022, 10:30:22 PM »
Every time things don't go their way the dems start screaming impeachment

.@AOC says Kavanaugh, Barrett, and Thomas committed impeachable offenses, " I believe lying under oath is an impeachable offense and violating federal law and not disclosing income from political organizations as Clarence Thomas did is also potentially an impeachable offense." pic.twitter.com/g19DIMJfbM

— Sarah Reese Jones (@PoliticusSarah) June 26, 2022

AOC calls for impeachment hearings on Justices Kavanaugh, Barrett and Thomas
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/06/26/aoc-calls-for-impeachment-hearings-on-justices-kavanaugh-barrett-and-thomas/

Have fun reading the comments at https://twitter.com/PoliticusSarah/status/1541067932586876928
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #470 on: June 27, 2022, 09:07:50 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #471 on: June 27, 2022, 09:34:40 AM »
I have nothing

Joel M. Petlin
@Joelmpetlin
Replying to
@scottzipperle
Nothing demonstrates unconditional love for your children more than using them as props at a pro-abortion rally, making them stand next to a sign that says you wish they were never even born
https://twitter.com/Joelmpetlin/status/1541065483352408064/photo/1

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #472 on: June 27, 2022, 09:36:41 AM »
And another

"Amanda Herring, who is 32 and *nine months pregnant*, showed up with her 1-year-old son Abraham and the words "Not Yet a Human" written in ink across her swollen belly. Herring, a Jewish educator who said *her due date is Saturday*"
https://twitter.com/s00nd/status/1540510373845110784

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #473 on: June 27, 2022, 10:03:40 AM »
And another
https://twitter.com/s00nd/status/1540510373845110784

Again, their own "look at me, I'm edgy and pushing boundaries" schtick is what is losing them their allies.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #474 on: June 27, 2022, 10:20:32 AM »
These Euro (and Canadian) leaders with big mouths really need to shut up with their attacks on our Supreme Court.