Author Topic: We Must Ban Hairstyle Discrimination in the Workplace  (Read 860 times)

MechAg94

• friend
We Must Ban Hairstyle Discrimination in the Workplace
« on: May 06, 2022, 03:01:45 PM »
House Approves Bill to Ban Hairstyle Discrimination in the Workplace
https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/pages/house-approves-bill-to-ban-hairstyle-discrimination.aspx

The Creating a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair (CROWN) Act—HR 2116—passed the House in a 235-to-189 vote on March 18.

Racial and national origin discrimination can occur because of long-standing biases and stereotypes associated with hair texture and style, according to the bill. "For example, routinely, people of African descent are deprived of educational and employment opportunities because they are adorned with natural or protective hairstyles in which hair is tightly coiled or tightly curled, or worn in locs, cornrows, twists, braids, Bantu knots or Afros," the bill states.

The proposed legislation would prohibit employers from firing, refusing to hire or otherwise discriminating against workers based on "hair texture or hairstyle, if that hair texture or that hairstyle is commonly associated with a particular race or national origin."

There are no other problems in the world.  We have solved them all and now we are down to hairstyle discrimination.  Isn't that wonderful?

The proposed legislation would prohibit employers from firing, refusing to hire or otherwise discriminating against workers based on "hair texture or hairstyle, if that hair texture or that hairstyle is commonly associated with a particular race or national origin."
I am real curious if the hairstyle must be associated with the race or national origin of the person with hair style, or just any race or national origin. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: We Must Ban Hairstyle Discrimination in the Workplace
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 03:09:20 PM »
^^^I wonder how this will play with the cases of beards in the military, either due to medical reasons, such as ingrown hairs, or religious reasons, as for the Sikhs.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 03:13:57 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 04:20:03 PM »
Nothing says "proud African-American like 36 inches of Indonesian hair glued on and braided..."
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 05:34:05 PM »
Will the law be interpreted as mandating higher ceilings and doorways as a reasonable accommodation?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 05:42:41 PM »
I'm in the middle of a workplace catch-22 situation - I have to get yet another doctor's note about my painful grindy ankle and bone spurs, but... "Hey, I know it's your day off, but could you come in?"

Told the FNG manager "no" yesterday. I was in the middle of a deep dive into smart home stuff... Wait, I need to check my front yard again... (back yard is coming on Saturday, and the workshop and extender next Thursday).
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 05:47:52 PM »
^^^I wonder how this will play with the cases of beards in the military, either due to medical reasons, such as ingrown hairs, or religious reasons, as for the Sikhs.

You can already get a shaving exemption due to medical or religious  reasons.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 06:28:30 PM »
The constitution does not give the federal government the authority to dictate who private employees should hire or fire in the first place.  But all of us know this.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 07:35:44 PM »

There are already heard waivers for ingrown hairs and such. Military already has this law in effect forgotten the reasons for short hair I guess.  ;/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 07:49:41 PM »
Personally, I wish it was legal in football to use hair as a handle...
Blog under construction

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 09:10:22 PM »
Well, I can't fire you 'cause your hair is offensive to our customers.  Instead, I'll fire you just 'cause I can.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 05:19:02 PM »
Well, I can't fire you 'cause your hair is offensive to our customers.  Instead, I'll fire you just 'cause I can.

This gives people with ugly hairstyles an excuse to sue if they ever get fired.  An employers defense against this, is to hire enough people with ugly hair as "proof" they are not bigoted against ugly hair.

Just like how gov mandated laws against discriminating against certain races creates preferential hiring for them.  The only way an employer to prove they are not racist is to hire a bunch of the protected racial group.  And now that the supreme court has declared homosexuals and transvestites are also a protected class (based on banning discrimination on the basis of "sex"), we can expect to see preferential hiring for homosexuals and transvestites.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2022, 07:32:20 PM »
The constitution does not give the federal government the authority to dictate who private employees should hire or fire in the first place.  But all of us know this.

You keep harping on what the Constitution says or does't say.  Get with it.  Don't you realize it's a "living document," and can say whatever we want it to say whenever we want it to say it.

If we want it to say we should all use green table napkins, then so be it and that's the living law.

And if someof the Justices are color blind and can only make a green napkin decision out of thin air, that, my friend, is it. 

Period.

Get with it, Pb !

Terry. 230RN