Author Topic: More Wokeness on the Gay Network  (Read 1115 times)

HankB

• friend
More Wokeness on the Gay Network
« on: May 08, 2022, 06:16:51 PM »
Back when I was in early elementary school, I was a science-fiction fan - I used to read books about Tom Swift Jr., the blond haired and crew cut boy genius who followed in his famous father's footsteps inventing all manner of scientific machines.

Coming soon on the CW network (AKA Gay TV) is a TV series about the boy genius, who is now going to be portrayed as not only Black, but as a homosexual as well.

Maybe they'll do a crossover with the new Dr. Who, who will switch back to male from (her) current female incarnation and become a Black male.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: More Wokeness on the Gay Network
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 06:57:11 PM »
Ugh. I don't understand why they can't make their own stuff up instead of ruining established creations.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 06:57:16 PM »
Coming soon on the CW network (AKA Gay TV) is a TV series about the boy genius, who is now going to be portrayed as not only Black, but as a homosexual as well.

Burn it to the ground.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 07:40:04 PM »

Maybe they'll do a crossover with the new Dr. Who, who will switch back to male from (her) current female incarnation and become a Black male.

About that

Ncuti Gatwa: BBC names actor as next Doctor Who star
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61371123
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 07:42:39 PM »
Ugh. I don't understand why they can't make their own stuff up instead of ruining established creations.

It's called historical revision and psychological warfare.  What's difficult to understand?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 07:46:06 PM »
I recall reading some Tom Swift from the WW1 era.... an boy was it un-PC! 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 08:16:51 PM »
Back when I was in early elementary school, I was a science-fiction fan - I used to read books about Tom Swift Jr., the blond haired and crew cut boy genius who followed in his famous father's footsteps inventing all manner of scientific machines.

I'm pretty sure I read all of those books as a young lad. I've recently been thinking about them and thought they might be good for my youngest grandson. I don't much car about the black thing but making him gay is a step to far for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 11:32:55 PM »
Is Tom Swift really a character anyone will know?  I'm not sure what audience they are targeting with that?  I guess it isn't surprising with a network that has never made money.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 11:58:53 PM »
Is Tom Swift really a character anyone will know?  I'm not sure what audience they are targeting with that?  I guess it isn't surprising with a network that has never made money.

You could say that for a lot of literary characters no one knew about until they crossed to the film/tv world.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 06:50:18 AM »
I read a lot of Tom Swift as a kid.  No interest in this modern retelling.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 01:21:56 PM »
"Who is Tom Swift?" Terry asked, questioningly.

Terry, 230RN

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 02:32:14 PM »

Terry, 230RN
"An unwoke inventor" Hank replied sleepily.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 02:39:25 PM »

Terry, 230RN

I've never read Tom Swift, but from what I've researched after seeing this thread he appears to be a serialized childrens' story hero in the style of Encyclopedia Brown, The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Johnny Quest and other similar characters.  Aimed at the pre-teen late elementary school market to my understanding.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 04:25:29 PM »
I've never read Tom Swift, but from what I've researched after seeing this thread he appears to be a serialized childrens' story hero in the style of Encyclopedia Brown, The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Johnny Quest and other similar characters.  Aimed at the pre-teen late elementary school market to my understanding.
That about sums it up. As I said in the OP, I read the books in early elementary school. The ones I read featured a young inventor who was the son of the original Tom Swift, himself an inventor in books written during the 1910-1941 time frame. The second series of books (the ones  I read) terminated in 1971, some time after I had outgrown them. Several attempts to resurrect the series have taken place since then, none of which - AFAIK - were particularly successful.

Perhaps Tom Swift's most enduring legacy is the Tom Swiftie, a play on words 230RN is familiar with.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 06:19:45 PM »
So when is Nancy Drew going to go butch?

Seems like that would be a delicious new adaptation for the modern awakened audience.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 06:37:09 PM »

Seems like that would be a delicious new adaptation for the modern awakened audience.

CW has a Nancy Drew show; from what I read, evidently the IP rights to Tom Swift are somehow tied up with the Nancy Drew IP?  Might have misunderstood something.  I always thought Nancy Drew was a derivative of the Hardy Boys.

Anyways, I watched a couple youtube trailers for the CW presentation of Nancy Drew and it appears to have her relatively robotic, unattached, possibly even asexual.  The actress has even a bit of a dead-in-the-eyes look, like they were specifically aiming for "Nancy can never be thought of as hot," which is weird because it's not like this version of Nancy is a superyoung teenager or something; she looks mid to late 20's.  Same kind of energy as the doctor lady from the old David Boreanaz show, "Bones."  They don't seem to harp on steamy romantic potential like a lot of CW tweener stuff does, milking that Twilight vibe so many of their shows have.  Not going to commit to watching any actual episodes to explore further, I never liked Nancy Drew even as a literary character and have no interest in following a CW presentation of the same concept.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2022, 06:46:34 PM »
Tom Swift, Tom Sawyer, Tom Terrific and T.O.M, all a bunch of whites guys. It's about time some or all were changed to being more woke, after all, it is much easier to reinvent  an existing character than it is to actually put in the work and generate a new role model for the current times.  ;)

bob
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 06:59:16 PM by BobR »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2022, 07:33:27 PM »
Tom Swift, Tom Sawyer, Tom Terrific and T.O.M, all a bunch of whites guys.

But Uncle Tom is not.

It's about time some or all were changed to being more woke, after all, it is much easier to reinvent  an existing character than it is to actually put in the work and generate a new role model for the current times.  ;)

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2022, 10:36:30 PM »

IICR, her best friend was a girl named George, so they already have that to work with.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 10:52:57 PM by Perd Hapley »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2022, 10:46:05 PM »
Tom Swift, Tom Sawyer, Tom Terrific and T.O.M, all a bunch of whites guys. It's about time some or all were changed to being more woke, after all, it is much easier to reinvent  an existing character than it is to actually put in the work and generate a new role model for the current times.  ;)

Tom Sawyer was reinvented . . . into a modern-day warrior with a mean mean stride . . .
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2022, 12:07:02 AM »

bob
You never heard of Little Black Sambo? There even used to be a restaurant chain named after him.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2022, 07:37:56 AM »
You never heard of Little Black Sambo? There even used to be a restaurant chain named after him.

It was actually named after the owners, but they embraced the misconception. The first and very last Sambos held out in woke Santa Barbara of all places until George Floyd killed them in 2020. It was walking distance from my office at the harbor, and even some of the commies in the office would go there with me for breakfast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo%27s
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2022, 08:07:00 AM »
IICR, her best friend was a girl named George, so they already have that to work with.

Ethnic Greek thing, I think.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2022, 01:23:54 PM »

In the story Little Black Sambo was Indian (sub-continent/7-11 not native American).
I remember going to one in Reno when dad was stationed at Fallon. My inner 7 year old remembers it being a pretty good breakfast.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2022, 11:44:32 PM »

Good grief !  When Whittaker became the new "Doctor", I lost most of my interest in the show, despite being a member of a local fan club since 1983.  I didn't like the revamped "Galactica" either with Starbuck being changed to a woman.
That being said, I still have the few "Jr." books from my childhood.  I even have two of the original Tom Swift books that were my mother's books.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”