Author Topic: Court orders ISPs to block websites, ISPs were not parties to case!  (Read 445 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LrieGDMac8

Some sort of Israeli TV pirate streaming service, got sued by Israeli production interests, in US federal court, resulting in a federal judge issuing orders to every US ISP, even though they weren't party to the case.

Weird stuff, man.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Wow, not just ISPs.  DNS registrars, VPN vendors, CDN providers, Paypal, other financial institutions... it's a blanket against the world from doing business or communicating with the defendants.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
Judge is way overstepping his jurisdiction.  Also, IMHO it's a 5th Amendment violation (the "Takings Clause")  If I were an ISP outside the judge's district, I would not challenge the order I would just ignore it.  If I were in the southern district of NY, I would challenge it.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
Wouldn't the judge's minions be obliged to serve legal papers on each and every party affected? Sounds like a LOT of process servers would be needed.

The judge issued an order to parties not part of the legal action requiring action - possibly costly action - on their part . . . in effect, drafting them to do his dirty work. Sounds like it may be crossing the line into involuntary servitude.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
Does this just amount to blocking a set of IP addresses and/or websites? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
Or what?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
They made their ruling, now let's see them enforce it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams