Author Topic: Live: Event Horizon telescope Announcement on Milky Way Galaxy  (Read 680 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Expected to be the first ever image of the MW's central black hole.

Watching  [popcorn]

EHT Live : Ground Breaking Announcement on Milky Way Galaxy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd4npzgawAs

We Are About to See Sgr A* Black Hole...Maybe - Million Wonderful People Live Stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd6q8B7D8qE
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Live: Event Horizon telescope Announcement on Milky Way Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 10:26:25 AM »
That was cool.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 10:53:32 AM »
So is the entire Milky Way Galaxy just a super massive accretion disk for the a super super massive black hole?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 10:54:33 AM »
So is the entire Milky Way Galaxy just a super massive accretion disk for the a super super massive black hole?

The way it's looking that's the general description of just about every galaxy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 11:03:11 AM »

Except most of the galaxy isn't spiraling inward
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 05:13:28 PM »
Except most of the galaxy isn't spiraling inward

Nope, no indication that it has to be, either. There's balance at work, just as there is with the planets orbiting the sun.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 05:58:41 PM »
If it were proven that our galaxy would eventually spiral into the central black hole some billions of years from now, Al Gore would likely blame it on climate change.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 11:36:15 PM »
If it were proven that our galaxy would eventually spiral into the central black hole some billions of years from now, Al Gore would likely blame it on climate change.
And the media would say it's Trump's doing.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 12:46:25 PM »
And the media would say it's Trump's doing.

And then try to find a way to tax to working people in order to further line his pockets.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 07:32:44 PM »
Currently watching
There are claims they only included data that produced the M87 image they expected.
In other words Confirmation Bias
Sounds familiar
What another team is producing with the data is similar just not the same. So they're not wrong maybe not exactly right.

Could M87* Black Hole Image Be Wrong? Study Recreates Something Else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjTtelR9emw
- Calvin and Hobbes