Author Topic: 9th Circuit panel strikes down California ban on under 21 gun sales  (Read 395 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Hate to be the negative nancy, but it is a 3 judge panel so don't get your hopes up yet.  I think we need some more liberty minded judges in the 9th Circuit before we will see real change. 

In a 2-1 ruling, a panel of the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said Wednesday the law violates the Second Amendment right to bear arms and a San Diego judge should have blocked what it called “an almost total ban on semiautomatic centerfire rifles” for young adults. “America would not exist without the heroism of the young adults who fought and died in our revolutionary army,” Judge Ryan Nelson wrote. “Today we reaffirm that our Constitution still protects the right that enabled their sacrifice: the right of young adults to keep and bear arms.”

I assume the state will ask for a full court review and the decision will be reversed.  Seeing it stand would be welcome though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Well, there was one good quote from the panel:

"America would not exist without the heroism of the young adults who fought and died in our revolutionary army," Judge Ryan Nelson wrote in the 2-1 ruling. "Today we reaffirm that our Constitution still protects the right that enabled their sacrifice: the right of young adults to keep and bear arms."

And one not so good quote:

They had sought to block the state from requiring a hunting license for purchases of rifles or shotguns by adults under 21 who are not in the military or law enforcement.

The court ruled the hunting license requirement was reasonable for increasing public safety through "sensible firearm control."

Sadly, and I saw this all too often before I left the state, when checking some of the CA state firearms forums I used to visit on this, I found far too many posts in the vein of, "This was a good ruling, but I hope it doesn't mean the Orange County (conservative coastal area) Republicans will start to gain ground." Or, "This is a good ruling, but we still need gun safety regulations".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
MechAg94 is right.  This will be overruled, just like every single pro-gun decision in CA has been overruled.  They did exactly the same thing with pro-gun rulings on the mag ban and concealed carry.