Author Topic: Volkswagen to Reintroduce the Scout  (Read 697 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Volkswagen to Reintroduce the Scout
« on: May 14, 2022, 08:08:07 AM »
Volkswagen will be reintroducing the International Scout as an electric.

[Activate old guy mode] Meh. [Deactivate old guy mode]

I don't mind the electric part at all, but the prototype lines look awful - like any run of the mill, stay on the pavement, mom SUV. The Scout body is classic. It would be so cool to see a modern version that kept the 1960s lines. Ford at least tried to do that with some of the Bronco models. Maybe VW will still do so, as only concept images are out right now.

I don't know much about their reliability/capability, but they have always looked like a cool ride to me.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/usa-scout-suv-pickup

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Volkswagen to Reintroduce the Scout
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 08:34:00 AM »
I don't know what that vehicle is aside from ugly, but it's not a Scout.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 08:34:25 AM »
My Dad had a 1972 IH Scout II.

Practically indestructible, but the gearing was weird. Had a 3-speed manual transmission. Geared way too high to really be effective as a 4WD, but it did OK.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 08:36:33 AM »
Holy crap... I just looked at one of the Scout sales boards?

INSANE prices. Absolutely insane!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 08:39:38 AM »
VW version looks like a modern Range Rover.

Also why the hell does everything have to be 4 doors?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 08:42:20 AM »
VW version looks like a modern Range Rover.

That's another one where the older bodies look way cooler than the modern bodies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 08:49:25 AM »
Holy crap... I just looked at one of the Scout sales boards?

INSANE prices. Absolutely insane!

This one is pretty reasonable, if you have some spare time.  =D

https://barnfinds.com/chopped-top-1973-international-scout/

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 08:49:41 AM »
A colleague had a Scout Traveler. Said he'd bought it because it developed more torque at lower RPMs than other brands of SUV on the market at the time.

The problem was, IH bought many other parts from the Big 3 auto makers, and - based on price-of-the-day - changed them during the model year, sometimes several times. So if you needed a new widget for your 19XX IH vehicle, there were multiple choices.

And the prices at the IH dealer could be as much as 4x what the prices were for the same exact part at the Chrysler/Ford/GM dealer.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 09:29:32 AM »
I know where there is a vintage scout with trees growing around it and very little rust. I tried to buy it twice but the guy won’t even talk about it.
It’s got a snow plow on it. I think it’s actually a sno-king edition glass is all intact and surface rust only from the part I can see. Tires are all flat but the wheels are holding the frame off the ground.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 09:58:47 AM »
The problem was, IH bought many other parts from the Big 3 auto makers, and - based on price-of-the-day - changed them during the model year, sometimes several times. So if you needed a new widget for your 19XX IH vehicle, there were multiple choices.

And the prices at the IH dealer could be as much as 4x what the prices were for the same exact part at the Chrysler/Ford/GM dealer.

Sounds like AMC
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 08:37:56 PM »
My Dad had a 1972 IH Scout II.

Practically indestructible, but the gearing was weird. Had a 3-speed manual transmission. Geared way too high to really be effective as a 4WD, but it did OK.

I had a '72 with the AMC 258 engine. We sold it in 1989. I still miss it.

Engine and powertrain were essentially identical to the Jeep CJ of the same era.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 09:58:56 PM »
Looks like it might be good competition to the Ford and Chevy small pickup and SUV options.  We will see how it performs.  I think I will stick with my Tacoma for now.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 10:43:48 PM »
If Ford wants a winner, they should do an EV that looks exactly like a 1964 1/2 Mustang. Don't try to make it a performance car. Just make it be. The only concessions I would make to "modern" would be headrests, better stereo/dash setup, and whatever needs to be done to the bumpers...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 10:03:53 AM »
If Ford wants a winner, they should do an EV that looks exactly like a 1964 1/2 Mustang. Don't try to make it a performance car. Just make it be. The only concessions I would make to "modern" would be headrests, better stereo/dash setup, and whatever needs to be done to the bumpers...
I imagine a classic looking EV would sell well.  I doubt they could use the same heavy frame and such. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 10:07:36 AM »
I imagine a classic looking EV would sell well.  I doubt they could use the same heavy frame and such.

1st gen Mustangs were unibody

Biggest problem would be getting it to pass modern safely standards. Airbags, front, rear, side, interior protection etc.... without changing the looks. I seriously doubt in the end it would look exactly like a 1st gen, maybe somewhat the same general lines but that's it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:49:19 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes