Author Topic: Ineos Grenadier - Land Rover Copy?  (Read 544 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Ineos Grenadier - Land Rover Copy?
« on: May 14, 2022, 10:05:30 PM »
The Scout thread reminded me about this.  There is an INEOS chemical plant not far away from me.  Sounded like an interesting story. 

2021 Ineos Grenadier First Look: Is This Land Rover Defender Clone a Rip-Off or a Reinvention?
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ineos-grenadier-first-look-land-rover-defender-style-off-road-suv/

When in 2015 Jaguar Land Rover announced that after 67 years it was ending production of the iconic Land Rover Defender, British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe saw an opportunity. Ratcliffe knew JLR was working on a high-tech successor to the Defender, and he figured it would be a much more upmarket vehicle than the old one, leaving an obvious hole in the market. To fill it, Ratcliffe tried to buy the old Defender tooling, but JLR refused to sell. Undaunted, he decided to create his own Defender-style off-roader instead. Meet the Ineos Grenadier.
--------------------------
Much of the Grenadier's development work is being done is by Magna Steyr, which builds the Mercedes-Benz G-Class at its plant in Graz, Austria. The emphasis is on capability, durability, and utility, as the Grenadier is designed to be a true off-roader capable of working in punishing environments. "We are not building an SUV," say Ineos insiders. Jeep's Wrangler is one of the development team's benchmark vehicles in terms of both on- and off-road performance and capability.

INEOS Wins U.K. Legal Challenge to Totally-Not-a-Defender Grenadier SUV
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33552851/ineos-grenadier-legal-challenge-land-rover-defender/

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Ineos Grenadier - Land Rover Copy?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 10:52:20 PM »
Talked to a couple of guys this evening who were doing LS swaps with LRs that were only a few  years old. It seems that is a thing.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 02:17:57 AM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 10:52:21 AM »
That's actually really cool.

Looks like they are moving forward with getting it actually on the market.  US pricing is scheduled to be released in late 2022.

https://ineosgrenadier.com/en/us/the-vehicle

If it's even halfway reasonable I might look at one when I wear out my current F150.  something like $50k-$55k new and they'll sell every one they make.  That turbo 6 and the ZF 8 speed are a great drivetrain.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 11:44:05 AM »
It looks like a great vehicle, and I hope they succeed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 08:05:24 PM »
It looks really cool and well designed to be a real 4x4. My only concern would be the "made in France".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."