Author Topic: legal word salad  (Read 364 times)

griz

• friend
legal word salad
« on: May 16, 2022, 05:48:07 PM »
The San Diego County Board decided to clear up some definitions.  Here's one of them:

"'Intersectional' shall mean the interconnected nature of social categorizations and individual characteristics that overlap as interdependent and compounded systems of discrimination. These categorizations and characteristics include, but are not limited to, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, nationality, immigration status, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, education, language, and disability."

I think that's the most words I've ever seen crammed into the least meaning.

https://www.lifezette.com/2022/05/san-diego-county-officially-changed-the-definition-of-a-woman/
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: legal word salad
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 06:03:59 PM »
"'Intersectional' shall mean the interconnected nature of social categorizations and individual characteristics that overlap as interdependent and compounded systems of discrimination. These categorizations and characteristics include, but are not limited to, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, nationality, immigration status, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, education, language, and disability."

Translation: It means whatever we want it to mean at whenever time we feel the need to use it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 06:11:35 PM »
Translation: It means whatever we want it to mean at whenever time we feel the need to use it.

Brad

Just like that constitution thingy.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 06:37:17 PM »

That's what they actually mean I am sure.  I just have this old fashioned expectation that a definition (and they called it that) should explain what something is instead of muddying the water.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.