Author Topic: Meijer now banning firearms  (Read 625 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Meijer now banning firearms
« on: May 16, 2022, 10:14:30 AM »
This story dates to mid April so don't think Buffalo had anything to do with but rather it appears, according to the story, to be a woke reaction to Constitutional Carry being passed in Ohio

Grocery store chain goes woke after permitless carry gets signed
https://bearingarms.com/john-petrolino/2022/04/13/grocery-store-chain-goes-woke-after-permitless-carry-gets-signed-n57370
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
Re: Meijer now banning firearms
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 09:19:05 PM »
So corporate management wants their stores to be a victim disarmament zone. Lovely - we'll see how it works.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 09:25:16 PM »
Going to have to see if they have put up door stickers here (Louisville)
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 09:32:43 PM »
So corporate management wants their stores to be a victim disarmament zone. Lovely - we'll see how it works.  :facepalm:

Notice in the email that they *ask* customers not to carry.  That's a little different than demanding such.  "Concealed means concealed"  OTOH, they really don't want you there, so maybe take your business elsewhere.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 08:38:35 AM »
Notice in the email that they *ask* customers not to carry.  That's a little different than demanding such.  "Concealed means concealed"  OTOH, they really don't want you there, so maybe take your business elsewhere.

Local Walmart has a sign, requesting customers to "refrain from open carry of weapons".  Which is irrelevant in this state.  <shrug>
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 09:07:27 AM »

Sounds similar to Trader Blows. Don't ask, don't tell. I don't have much of a problem with TJ's rule (unless it has changed recently). They'd prefer I'd not carry, but they're not gonna make a big todo about it as long as I'm concealed, and I've never seen any signs at mine.

I wish that my supposedly conservative local "gun rights" Idaho bank had the same philosophy, instead of a big "no guns" sign on the front door.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 09:15:17 AM »
The photo shows a big "No Guns" sticker on the door of a store, purportedly a Meijer's. What do the state laws in the states where Meijer's operates have to say about ignoring such stickers? If the door is posted, does it have the force of law or is it just a "request"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 11:37:19 AM »
The photo shows a big "No Guns" sticker on the door of a store, purportedly a Meijer's. What do the state laws in the states where Meijer's operates have to say about ignoring such stickers? If the door is posted, does it have the force of law or is it just a "request"?

Here in Ill-i-noise, the sign has to be just so (such and such a size, location, image+verbiage, and nothing else), or it can be ignored.  There's one that I routinely ignore, that would be compliant, except that the verbiage ("Pursuant to ....") references some other state's law.   <shrug>
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 11:47:09 AM »
Unless it is a government building or carry is unlawful by state or Federal law, I ignore those signs.  Concealed means concealed and in Washington, they can ask you to leave and arrest you for trespass if you do not.  Carry onto private property is not a primary criminal offense.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 12:32:10 PM »
Unless it is a government building or carry is unlawful by state or Federal law, I ignore those signs.  Concealed means concealed and in Washington, they can ask you to leave and arrest you for trespass if you do not.  Carry onto private property is not a primary criminal offense.

Same here on the trespass.

Do many states have a law similar to Texas (if that is still in effect - 30.6?) regarding firearm specific charges rather than simple trespass?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."