Armed Polite Society

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

R.I.P. Scout26

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On That Student Loan Forgiveness  (Read 904 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • I am not a cat
Re: On That Student Loan Forgiveness
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2022, 12:47:43 PM »

That doesn't really matter.  This was about buying votes for the midterms, and it apparently succeeded.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Expect it to come up again summer/fall of 2024
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2022, 01:11:57 PM »

That doesn't really matter.  This was about buying votes for the midterms, and it apparently succeeded.

Yep. And they fall for it every time. Of course so do we when it's our guy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2022, 02:31:06 PM »

I doubt it had much of an affect on the election because the people it was aimed at were going to vote Democrat for the most part anyway.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2022, 02:35:59 PM »

I doubt it had much of an affect on the election because the people it was aimed at were going to vote Democrat for the most part anyway.

Well, I think the way to phrase that is, "tend to vote democrat when they vote". It's all about big enough bribes to get them off the couch and to the voting booth. This was a pretty big bribe.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2022, 02:20:18 PM »

I'm guessing there is going to be another 3 or 6 month extension on student loan repayment. I'm thinking this because of the recent court decisions and I haven't gotten any notice from the my loan servicer that payments are set to resume in Jan. I have less than 2 years left on my student loan repayments.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2022, 10:57:43 PM »

Biden just paused payments until June or 60 days after the forgiveness plan is legally resolved.

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2022, 10:21:43 AM »

Biden just paused payments until June or 60 days after the forgiveness plan is legally resolved.

Soooo, if the courts stretch this out for years does that ďautomaticallyĒ extend the pause?  Or is the pause until June, unless the courts resolve it before April?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2022, 10:26:59 AM »

Soooo, if the courts stretch this out for years does that ďautomaticallyĒ extend the pause?  Or is the pause until June, unless the courts resolve it before April?

Every news article I read was equally confusing.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2022, 11:42:14 AM »

Payments are paused for an indefinite (or unintelligible) period, but is the interest still accruing?  I would assume so.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2022, 11:48:32 AM »

Interest is racist and predatory.

Can't have none of that, now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2022, 12:10:04 PM »

Payments are paused for an indefinite (or unintelligible) period, but is the interest still accruing?  I would assume so.

Interest rates at least had been dropped to 0%.  I assume that hasnít changed.

At this point, I think an R candidate could probably get a lot of votes by just promising to make the 0% interest rate permanent but otherwise require repayments resume.  Bill it as a responsible end to overly stretched out pause in payments with a net benefit thatís less punishing to the taxpayers than Bidenís forgiveness.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2022, 12:14:44 PM »

At this point, I think an R candidate could probably get a lot of votes by just promising to make the 0% interest rate permanent but otherwise require repayments resume.  Bill it as a responsible end to overly stretched out pause in payments with a net benefit thatís less punishing to the taxpayers than Bidenís forgiveness.

Given best (and worst) case scenarios in the current political climate, I could live with that. People not accepting responsibility for their $300,000 in loans  gender studies PhD actions still galls me, but they'd at least be paying back principal.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2022, 12:43:22 PM »

Given best (and worst) case scenarios in the current political climate, I could live with that. People not accepting responsibility for their $300,000 in loans  gender studies PhD actions still galls me, but they'd at least be paying back principal.

Yeah.  Donít get me wrong.  Iím still not saying thatís a good idea, just a way to get a lot of votes.
Pages: 1 [2]