Author Topic: On That Student Loan Forgiveness  (Read 7855 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: On That Student Loan Forgiveness
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2022, 12:47:43 PM »
That doesn't really matter.  This was about buying votes for the midterms, and it apparently succeeded.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Expect it to come up again summer/fall of 2024
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2022, 01:11:57 PM »
That doesn't really matter.  This was about buying votes for the midterms, and it apparently succeeded.

Yep. And they fall for it every time. Of course so do we when it's our guy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2022, 02:31:06 PM »

I doubt it had much of an affect on the election because the people it was aimed at were going to vote Democrat for the most part anyway.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2022, 02:35:59 PM »
I doubt it had much of an affect on the election because the people it was aimed at were going to vote Democrat for the most part anyway.

Well, I think the way to phrase that is, "tend to vote democrat when they vote". It's all about big enough bribes to get them off the couch and to the voting booth. This was a pretty big bribe.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2022, 02:20:18 PM »
I'm guessing there is going to be another 3 or 6 month extension on student loan repayment. I'm thinking this because of the recent court decisions and I haven't gotten any notice from the my loan servicer that payments are set to resume in Jan. I have less than 2 years left on my student loan repayments.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2022, 10:57:43 PM »
Biden just paused payments until June or 60 days after the forgiveness plan is legally resolved.

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2022, 10:21:43 AM »
Biden just paused payments until June or 60 days after the forgiveness plan is legally resolved.

Soooo, if the courts stretch this out for years does that “automatically” extend the pause?  Or is the pause until June, unless the courts resolve it before April?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2022, 10:26:59 AM »
Soooo, if the courts stretch this out for years does that “automatically” extend the pause?  Or is the pause until June, unless the courts resolve it before April?

Every news article I read was equally confusing.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2022, 11:42:14 AM »
Payments are paused for an indefinite (or unintelligible) period, but is the interest still accruing?  I would assume so.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2022, 11:48:32 AM »
Interest is racist and predatory.

Can't have none of that, now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2022, 12:10:04 PM »
Payments are paused for an indefinite (or unintelligible) period, but is the interest still accruing?  I would assume so.

Interest rates at least had been dropped to 0%.  I assume that hasn’t changed.

At this point, I think an R candidate could probably get a lot of votes by just promising to make the 0% interest rate permanent but otherwise require repayments resume.  Bill it as a responsible end to overly stretched out pause in payments with a net benefit that’s less punishing to the taxpayers than Biden’s forgiveness.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2022, 12:14:44 PM »
At this point, I think an R candidate could probably get a lot of votes by just promising to make the 0% interest rate permanent but otherwise require repayments resume.  Bill it as a responsible end to overly stretched out pause in payments with a net benefit that’s less punishing to the taxpayers than Biden’s forgiveness.

Given best (and worst) case scenarios in the current political climate, I could live with that. People not accepting responsibility for their $300,000 in loans  gender studies PhD actions still galls me, but they'd at least be paying back principal.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2022, 12:43:22 PM »
Given best (and worst) case scenarios in the current political climate, I could live with that. People not accepting responsibility for their $300,000 in loans  gender studies PhD actions still galls me, but they'd at least be paying back principal.

Yeah.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’m still not saying that’s a good idea, just a way to get a lot of votes.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2023, 07:31:57 PM »
I've asked every democrat and "journalist" that I come across on Twitter why the democrats in congress didn't pass a legal bill to do this. Crickets.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2023, 10:49:29 PM »
This is the week, waiting to see what SCOTUS decides.

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2023, 12:01:48 AM »
This is the week, waiting to see what SCOTUS decides.

Guessing 5-4 but which way is hard to guess.  I’m assuming Benedict Roberts will vote with the liberal wing in favor of the forgiveness plan.  Kavanaugh is probably the swing vote.  But I wouldn’t put it past Gorsuch or Barrett to swing left on that.

I still think the Republicans whiffed on not introducing a bill to end the forbearance, eliminate any forgiveness from POTUS, but make student loans 0% (or something functionally equivalent) interest.  I still don’t think that’s the *right* thing to do but it would take a lot of the wind out of D sails while still making everyone payback what they owe.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2023, 11:25:40 AM »
Welp, I was wrong.  Struck down the loan forgiveness 6-3.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2023, 11:28:47 AM »
6 to 3... hum... I wonder who voted what way...

Oh, silly me...

Personal responsibility and accountability 6, FREE *expletive deleted*it PAID FOR WITH FREE GOVERNMENT MONEY IS A HUMAN RIGHT!!! 3...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2023, 02:28:48 PM »
My boss is one of the forgivees. He was all giddy about getting a freebie. I'm waiting to see his face when he tells me about it getting axed, which he will at great length and in infinite detail.

This is the same guy who pays upwards of $400 a month in payments and storage on a camper he uses maybe three or four times a year. With that, he could have paid off the remainder of his SL in under two years. Every time he mentions student loans I want to slap him upside the head with a calculator.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2023, 02:41:51 PM »
I had about 4K forgiven. I applied for and was rejected for the  Public Service Loan Forgiveness program a few years ago because I had the "wrong type" of loan. At the time the program had about a 99% denial rate. When they expanded the types of loans eligible I reapplied and received the loan forgiveness through PSLF. PSLF was/is for people who work in certain jobs following graduation and after making 120 loan payments while in the job they can apply. Many military, medical and teachers got a second chance under the expanded rules.

bob
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 03:11:52 PM by BobR »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2023, 03:14:13 PM »
It's so unfair, that if terrorists set off a dirty bomb, people would still have to pay off their student loans.

An SC Justice, folks. Not the Babylon Bee.

https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/06/30/scotus-justice-kegans-dissent-contains-a-hypothetical-that-you-have-to-see-to-believe-n2384997

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2023, 03:18:11 PM »
It's so unfair, that if terrorists set off a dirty bomb, people would still have to pay off their student loans.

An SC Justice, folks. Not the Babylon Bee.

https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/06/30/scotus-justice-kegans-dissent-contains-a-hypothetical-that-you-have-to-see-to-believe-n2384997

I think the libs view the Babylon Bee as a challenge.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2023, 06:34:08 PM »
Be curious how the economy reacts when the $300-400 per month average payment starts up in October.

I know, folks should have been planning for the restart of their payments, but they are Americans.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2023, 06:40:13 PM »
Biden said he has something in the works

Oh and he also said he thinks the court misinterpreted the Constitution
- Calvin and Hobbes