Author Topic: Share your location on Google Maps for Android  (Read 480 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Share your location on Google Maps for Android
« on: May 21, 2022, 11:26:28 AM »
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7326816?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

I was just reading on a motorcycle forum about apps for location sharing.  The thought is that if you are overdue returning from a ride, someone can see your location and investigate and rescue if need be.  There are a number of paid apps for this, but someone posted about the Google Maps functionality. 

So I just configured my Android Google Maps to share my location with my wife and configured the Google Maps on her iPhone so she can share her location with me.  My wife pointed out that iPhones have had this capability for years and it would have been easier if I had an iPhone too. 

In good weather, I am often out riding the scooter or bicycles for several hours, and it would be good if she has an idea where to start looking for my body.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Share your location on Google Maps for Android
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 12:12:38 PM »
Interesting.  Didn't know about this feature in Google.

Any reports on what it does to battery life expectations?  Would it be suitable for an ADVboi that is on the fringe range of cell towers and camps out overnight in remote country?

I was using APRS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Packet_Reporting_System) for this for awhile, but I find the setup to be kind of clunky and high maintenance.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 12:24:17 PM »
Personally, I prefer to keep my location turned off completely.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 01:36:09 PM »

Agreed, I do also.  But for certain applications it has its appeal on a temporary basis.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 05:05:57 PM »

Yeah, but we really don't care where you are... :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 09:25:47 PM »

oh, we already knew that, we have you on satellite tho, don't worry
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 08:56:05 AM »
I'm going to be trying this out over memorial day weekend, going on a moto ride with friends.
--Lysander Spooner