Author Topic: Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooting  (Read 24469 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooting
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2022, 12:29:32 AM »
https://news.yahoo.com/police-face-growing-criticism-over-202101630.html

12 minutes.

He sat outside the school, shooting at either the funeral home across the street or at the school's exterior, for TWELVE MINUTES.

How does a PD fail to respond to shots fired around a school, for TWELVE MINUTES?

More details on the breach team:

After two officers were wounded inside the school, Olivarez added, other officers continued to maintain a presence to prevent the gunman from going to other classrooms and to allow their colleagues to evacuate children. Upon arrival, a Border Patrol tactical officer formed a tactical entry team with a sheriff's deputy and two officers and, using a ballistic shield, breached the classroom and killed the gunman.

An ad-hoc improvised tac team of 4 people from 3 different agencies.  I had initially heard it was a BP tac team that took him down which I was very concerned about; it gave me the impression that the local PD was impotent or passed the buck to a tac team rather than sacking up and getting the job done.  Glad to hear that might not be the case.

The SRO was unable to deny the gunman access to his first classroom, but it does seem the law enforcement response did deny him access to any additional classrooms.  It sounds like the school wasn't adhering to its security practices though, that all classroom doors are to be locked.  Or he exploited the off-chance of a kid on a hall pass or a door in the process of closing.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2022, 12:34:54 AM »
It seems like 12 minutes of incoming fire should cause a school to start locking doors.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2022, 07:39:07 AM »
At this point, I don't think we will ever learn the truth. It's obvious that there were screw-ups all along the way, and I have no doubt that all parties will be in full ass-cover mode while portraying the responding officers (whether or not they did anything) as "heroes" to deflect any and all criticism.

I'm beyond disgusted. Schools never learn. After this, I expect that when schools open in September they'll all be in full alert mode, doors will by e duly locked, classroom doors will be closed and locked -- for maybe a semester. Maybe even an entire school year. Then there won't be any school shootings, so gradually they'll ease up. Classroom doors won't be closed. Some exterior doors won't be closed. The retired police officer I was discussing this with yesterday confirmed this. He was a sergeant before he retired. He told me that he used to check schools in his town, and the back door to the kitchen was always open. He said he would complain, and he was told that was so they could receive deliveries. Of course, there was a doorbell right there -- but the cafeteria workers were too lazy to go open the door, so they just left it open.

His department requested that the schools in town assign a custodian to go around every two hours to verify that all exterior doors were locked. The school administration refused. They didn't want to take a custodian away from whatever he was supposed to be doing -- which the retired officer said was usually playing Solitaire on the computers in the maintenance shop.

I used to know a locksmith who serviced local schools. He told me he never wasted time checking in through main entrances. He just drove around to the back and walked in through the door to the maintenance shop -- he said they were always open.

Administrators pay lip service to security, but they don't really want to do anything about it. They just want to be able to say they're doing something about it.

:facepalm:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2022, 07:47:35 AM »
[Chuck Schumer] BUT IF THE DOORS ARE LOCKED EVERYONE WILL DIE IF THERE'S A FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Chuck Schumer]
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2022, 08:30:06 AM »
Apparently someone claiming to be the uncle of one of the children has been spreading stories about Gov Abbott harassing relatives over gun control triggering several libs and MSM to start foaming at the mouth with calls to prosecute Gov Abbott. The guy has an interesting history so to speak.

Keith Olbermann is speechless, says the DOJ needs to prosecute Gov. Greg Abbott because of this totally true story
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/05/26/keith-olbermann-is-speechless-says-the-doj-needs-to-prosecute-gov-greg-abbott-because-of-this-totally-true-story/

Andy Ngô exposes SICKO claiming to be the uncle of a slain Uvalde student accusing Gov. Abbott of horrible things (SOOO many idiot blue-checks fell for it)
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/05/27/andy-ngo-exposes-sicko-claiming-to-be-the-uncle-of-a-slain-uvalde-student-accusing-gov-abbott-of-horrible-things-sooo-many-idiot-blue-checks-who-fell-for-it/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 09:08:36 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2022, 08:39:15 AM »
[Chuck Schumer] BUT IF THE DOORS ARE LOCKED EVERYONE WILL DIE IF THERE'S A FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Chuck Schumer]

You mean just like at the Capital?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2022, 08:52:30 AM »

WHO CREATED THIS LIE AND PASSED IT ON?

WHAT OTHER LIES HAVE WE BEEN TOLD, AND WHAT LIES ARE WE BEING TOLD NOW?

SOP for the media
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2022, 08:58:05 AM »
Just read that Mitch McConnell has instructed the Senate Rs to work with the Dems on a bipartisan gun control package...

Just when prices were starting to come down...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2022, 09:00:29 AM »
And Quartz shows us how easy it is to "buy a gun". Nevermind that all they did was order it, talk about how easy it was, and then apparently from the story, didn't bother to do the NICS paperwork to actually buy the gun. I'm sure we'll be seeing a ton of these stories.

https://qz.com/2170207/we-ordered-the-ar-15-rifle-used-in-uvalde-heres-how-easy-it-is/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2022, 09:04:30 AM »
Just read that Mitch McConnell has instructed the Senate Rs to work with the Dems on a bipartisan gun control package...

Just when prices were starting to come down...

I heard a bunch of conservative pols on the teevee this morning talking about more red flag laws. I'm also betting  "21 and over" legislation will be introduced, and I think that will be looked at as a easy win for both sides. Ds will say they did something major, and Rs will say it's a minor concession.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2022, 09:10:31 AM »
Has Hogg declared himself a survivor of Uvalde yet?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2022, 09:12:44 AM »
I heard a bunch of conservative pols on the teevee this morning talking about more red flag laws. I'm also betting  "21 and over" legislation will be introduced, and I think that will be looked at as a easy win for both sides. Ds will say they did something major, and Rs will say it's a minor concession.

The dems will want those + mag restriction at the very least. Maybe throw in universal background checks too.
I could see banning online sales too. Wouldn't surprise me if they try to push through a full on 94 bill though
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2022, 09:17:28 AM »
Could Biden ban imported "assault" rifles with an EO?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2022, 09:23:32 AM »
Just popped up

Beside the already mentioned above NY looking to ban body armor with some discussion on a fed level

Bi-Partisan Federal Gun-Control?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCf_Zydvizc
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2022, 09:42:32 AM »
Biden said he'll be down there Sunday
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2022, 09:44:10 AM »
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/05/27/border-patrol-agent-drove-40-miles-to-respond-to-mass-shooting-at-uvalde-elementary-school-sources-say/

The Border Patrol agent was out of uniform, eating lunch, and 40 miles away when the call came over the radio. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2022, 09:52:10 AM »
I'm betting the Dems go hard...94 AWB and more.  They feel empowered by NBA coaches and news reports saying 90% of Americans want military weapons off the streets.  I'm thinking they go for either a total ban on possession of semi-auto rifles, or at least everything they can put on an EBR list.  No grandfather clause for what's already owned.  I'm also hearing a lot of chatter about mags holding more than 5 shots, and the horror that the Texas kid was able to buy more than 300 rounds of ammo.

In response, Rs will compromise with a return of the 94 AWB, with 10 round mag limits, universal background checks, a federal red flag law, and proudly say they protected 2A and the children.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna order magazines.  Can't afford ammo.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2022, 09:58:49 AM »
Just popped up

Beside the already mentioned above NY looking to ban body armor with some discussion on a fed level

This after it has been documented that he used no body armor (though they could be embracing Buffalo here).

It's irritating that they both want to ban guns, but then also ban passive protection from criminals with guns, which will be the only people with guns after a gun ban. And "criminals" includes cops/gov who would enforce such bans as well as those of us who become criminals because we will not comply.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2022, 10:00:39 AM »
This after it has been documented that he used no body armor (though they could be embracing Buffalo here).

It's irritating that they both want to ban guns, but then also ban passive protection from criminals with guns, which will be the only people with guns after a gun ban. And "criminals" includes cops who would enforce such bans as well as those of us who become criminals because we will not comply.

While they do less and less about the actual criminals in the name of "justice"
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2022, 10:03:53 AM »
It's not about doing something useful and effective. Never has been. It's all about doing something to show "those murderous gun owners" who's boss.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2022, 11:49:12 AM »
If the Republican Party was looking for a way to kill that whole red tsunami thing...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2022, 11:55:41 AM »
Headline states he had been reported to the FBI

Anyone have VIP access or another link?

https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2022/05/27/uvalde-killer-threats-n58782
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2022, 12:20:03 PM »
Could Biden ban imported "assault" rifles with an EO?
Imports are one area where POTUS actually has a LOT of authority. But isn't the "parts count" US code requirement in 18 USC 922(r) defining what constitutes an "import" still in effect anyway?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2022, 12:20:40 PM »
https://nypost.com/2022/05/26/salvador-ramos-mightve-revealed-shooting-plan-reporttexas-shooter-may-have-revealed-sick-massacre-plan-in-video-game-rant-report/

Here's another link showing gamers reporting Ramos to the FBI for disturbing statements in video games.

EDIT:  Its a gamer reporting "someone."  There's a lot of supposition and assumption that the BadSpeaker was actually Ramos and not someone else.  No one has traced any usernames to accounts or sessions or IP addresses.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2022, 12:25:06 PM »
Imports are one area where POTUS actually has a LOT of authority. But isn't the "parts count" US code requirement in 18 USC 922(r) defining what constitutes an "import" still in effect anyway?

You thinks that matters to them?
- Calvin and Hobbes