Author Topic: Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooting  (Read 24039 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooting
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2022, 11:53:07 AM »
It would also be interesting if these people would focus on finding out why these people are deciding to murder people instead of blaming the guns, but I guess that isn't politically convenient. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2022, 11:55:18 AM »
According to this he was wearing a plate carrier but no actual armor.
Doubt that makes any different to the MSM and pols though
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/05/25/khou-11-in-houston-the-uvalde-gunman-was-not-wearing-body-armor/
So according to that, he legally bought the rifles.  One rifle was with him when he died.  Has anyone heard if the rifle was used in the murders?  I sort of assume so, but I guess that will come out in time. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2022, 11:55:37 AM »
It is always a bit amazing to me to see people who really think that some new legislation would have stopped a crime.  Especially when none of them know how the kid acquired the guns or whether he would have passed a background check (probably would). 

I heard on the radio that the kid bought the two rifles, apparently legally with a NICS check.  That would mean that new bill wouldn't have accomplished anything accept more bureaucracy.

Look at the new laws the NY gov proposed after Buffalo. Not a single one would have had any effect.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2022, 11:58:38 AM »
It would also be interesting if these people would focus on finding out why these people are deciding to murder people instead of blaming the guns, but I guess that isn't politically convenient.

My thoughts too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »
So according to that, he legally bought the rifles.  One rifle was with him when he died.  Has anyone heard if the rifle was used in the murders?  I sort of assume so, but I guess that will come out in time.

I would find it hard to believe he went through all the trouble of bringing it and would then use only a handgun. But who knows what goes through the mind of someone like this?

Guess I was right on the DD id. Cue DD getting sued.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2022, 12:04:23 PM »
I would find it hard to believe he went through all the trouble of bringing it and would then use only a handgun. But who knows what goes through the mind of someone like this?

Guess I was right on the DD id. Cue DD getting sued.
The lawsuit would be in Texas, not in Massachusetts or Connecticut.  I doubt it would get very far.   

My understanding is Texas has a program of arm teachers, but most schools don't participate. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2022, 12:06:39 PM »
The lawsuit would be in Texas, not in Massachusetts or Connecticut.  I doubt it would get very far.   

If there's one thing I've learned about the left is that they'll do everything they can to find a way
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2022, 12:19:24 PM »
My understanding is Texas has a program of arm teachers, but most schools don't participate. 

They do, but as you pointed out many schools don't participate. The touchy-feely types can't stand the thought of it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2022, 12:45:59 PM »

Bet they’d find a sympathetic judge in Austin.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2022, 01:10:43 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2022, 02:45:54 PM »
Enter Beta O'Rourke:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/05/25/beto-orourke-totally-earns-the-sick-son-of-a-btch-label-when-he-interrupts-greg-abbotts-uvalde-presser-to-grandstand-and-grave-dance-video/

Sheesh.  This character has literally no shame.

"Sick son of a bitch" is right. This "I'm not out of the governor's race yet" stunt should end his political career.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2022, 02:47:46 PM »
Bet they’d find a sympathetic judge in Austin.
They might find a sympathetic trial judge, but I doubt it will make it further.  The problem with the Remington lawsuit is they tried to appeal the ruling about bypassing that federal law.  That appeal was rejected in state and federal court.  We will see if the state appeals and SC do the same here. 
Also, it seems to me the trial would need to be filed in Uvalde, not Austin, but leftists never let that stop them.

Just my guess. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2022, 02:49:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSiMV21kmx4
Gov. Abbott and others did a press conference today.  He walked through the basic order of events and what is known. 

Beto's interruption starts around 17 min 30 sec.  On this feed, you can't hear anything he said, just the people on the stage. 

I do appreciate that the Gov seems to be focusing on the evil person who committed the act and potential mental health issues, not guns. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2022, 03:32:40 PM »
Beto O’Rourke - Tank Man

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2022, 03:59:39 PM »
Appears the school was the target and not just an incidental one
Tom Winter
@Tom_Winter
NEW: Texas Gov. Abbott says the shooter's grandmother called police after being shot in the face.

The shooter may have a juvenile record, he says.

He also posted on Facebook saying, "I am going to shoot an elementary school" just 15 minutes before the shooting, Abbott says.
Tom Winter
@Tom_Winter
·
2h
Replying to
@Tom_Winter
Gov. Abbott also says that he posted on Facebook "I'm going to shoot my grandmother", then he posted "I shot my grandmother", then he posted "I am going to shoot an elementary school" just 15 minutes before the shooting.
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1529518182695936000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1529518182695936000%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitchy.com%2Fgregp-3534%2F2022%2F05%2F25%2Fhe-was-still-able-to-enter-the-school-heres-the-latest-on-what-we-know-about-the-uvalde-school-shooting%2F
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2022, 04:10:19 PM »
So I guess if O'Rourke wasn't running in Texas, no Soros types would bankroll his political adventures? Is that why he keeps trying there?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2022, 04:58:14 PM »
So I guess if O'Rourke wasn't running in Texas, no Soros types would bankroll his political adventures? Is that why he keeps trying there?
I think he had a lot of money left over from the Senate run a few years ago.  Running for something lets him spend it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2022, 05:06:50 PM »
I think he had a lot of money left over from the Senate run a few years ago.  Running for something lets him spend it.

Yeah, but why not spend it someplace he could win? California, etc. I'm guessing his backers will only sign on if he can cause trouble in a red state.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2022, 05:19:15 PM »
Deep Thoughts(tm) from the Bulwark:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/05/25/bulwark-republicans-who-accuse-liberals-of-defunding-police-are-abetting-crime-and-undermining-law-and-order/

Some principled conservativeâ„¢ from The Bulwark had to weigh in on the Robb Elementary School shooting in Uvalde, Texas, and that task fell to Will Saletan, who of course wants “pro-gun extremists” — i.e., Republicans who believe in the Second Amendment — to lose their seats in Congress.

They sound like Bill Kristol's fellow travelers.  Or perhaps the Lincoln Project.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2022, 07:07:19 PM »
Death toll now stands at
19 children
2 Teachers
 :'(
I'm not seeing any more mention of the "grandmother". False info?

The grandmother was shot, but not killed.

I haven't found any other information on how many others may have been wounded. Possibly none -- it appears all the dead were shot in the same classroom where the SWAT rangers eventually killed the perp.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2022, 07:23:11 PM »
How about we start by fixing the mental health system?

Agreed 100%.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2022, 09:37:07 PM »
The grandmother was shot, but not killed.

I haven't found any other information on how many others may have been wounded. Possibly none -- it appears all the dead were shot in the same classroom where the SWAT rangers eventually killed the perp.

First time I recall seeing the GM was wounded.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2022, 09:45:26 PM »
Although I spoke on the mental health system above, we all remember that not every mass murderer has mental illness.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.