Author Topic: Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooting  (Read 24047 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooting
« Reply #375 on: June 22, 2022, 09:42:52 PM »
    ! Chief Arredondo placed on administrative leave.#Statement from Uvalde school superintendent pic.twitter.com/CfnTWwJD0Z

— Shimon Prokupecz (@ShimonPro) June 22, 2022
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/06/22/uvalde-school-district-chief-of-police-pete-arredondo-placed-on-administrative-leave/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #376 on: June 28, 2022, 08:25:48 AM »
Level IIIA ballistic shields? That's some kinda training they got going there.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/uvalde-officers-ballistic-shields-woudnt-have-stopped-rifle-rounds-hesitation-cost-lives
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #377 on: June 28, 2022, 08:45:56 AM »
Rifle-rated shields are heavy as hell.

But as so many have said, no shield is a prerequisite for solving the problem.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #378 on: June 29, 2022, 06:48:19 PM »
The mom they handcuffed for trying to go in to get her children is claiming the PD is harassing her

Uvalde police reported harassing hero mom
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2022/06/29/uvalde-police-3-n59852

Uvalde Police Harassing Hero Mom
https://www.based-politics.com/2022/06/28/uvalde-police-harassing-hero-mom/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #379 on: July 02, 2022, 05:14:33 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #380 on: July 02, 2022, 08:01:39 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/02/us/pete-arredondo-resigns-uvalde-city-council/index.html

Mr. Arredondo is no longer on the Uvalde City Council.
Good to hear.  Hopefully, that is NOT due to making some sort of deal.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #381 on: July 02, 2022, 08:03:19 PM »
The mom they handcuffed for trying to go in to get her children is claiming the PD is harassing her

Uvalde police reported harassing hero mom
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2022/06/29/uvalde-police-3-n59852

Uvalde Police Harassing Hero Mom
https://www.based-politics.com/2022/06/28/uvalde-police-harassing-hero-mom/
She needs take pictures/video and log those events.  Maybe even set up a youtube channel and livestream it.  I imagine there are judges that won't look well on harassment. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #382 on: July 12, 2022, 06:00:41 PM »
Kid walked into the classroom and immediately fired more than 100* rounds

Exclusive video shows police responding to shooting inside Robb Elementary School
https://www.statesman.com/videos/news/2022/07/12/uvalde-school-shooting-video-police-robb-elementary-shooter/10029441002/

*more than 100 according to the text in the video
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #383 on: July 12, 2022, 06:27:31 PM »
Kid walked into the classroom and immediately fired more than 100* rounds

Exclusive video shows police responding to shooting inside Robb Elementary School
https://www.statesman.com/videos/news/2022/07/12/uvalde-school-shooting-video-police-robb-elementary-shooter/10029441002/

*more than 100 according to the text in the video

11:28 Truck crashes.

11:29 Gunman shoots at and misses 2 men who approach the crash scene.

11:31 Gunman shoots at school, first 911 call logged with description of incident (active shooter)

11:33 massacre of children in classroom.

11:36 first officers arrive.

11:37 they completely yielded the hallway and door in question.  Retreated ~30 yards from the door.  Gunman had a rifle, responding officers have a mix of AR carbines and pistols presented.

11:52 the first ballistic shield arrives.

12:09 a trio of ballistic shields establish a barricade ~30 yards from the door of the classroom.

12:21 Three officers advance on the room WITHOUT THE SHIELDS, two of the shield bearers appear caught off-guard and advance halfway behind the rest of the stack.  One shield left behind with no one carrying it.

12:30 All three shields are down there, somewhere.  Can't see much, it's a mess of donut crumbs or something, and someone needs to use the wall mounted hand sanitizer dispenser.  (yes, sarcasm)

12:50 A mess of gunshots and shouting, there appears to be some sort of restraint of purple gloved individuals eager to get down there, which I assume are EMT's or at least officers assigned the task of immediate first response to injured parties.  Lots of chaotic shouting, messy leadership.

All this bullscat about "we didn't have shields" and the truth of the matter is they didn't know what to do with them anyways, and when someone (I think Border Patrol... the leads in the push were wearing OD gear rather than city blue) lead the push, the shields were caught flat-footed and out of the lead of the entry team.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #384 on: July 12, 2022, 06:37:29 PM »
WTF happened to flashbangs?  Or are those only issued to no-knock teams to burn babies in cribs?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #385 on: July 12, 2022, 06:48:22 PM »
Anyone hear how many were still left alive when the police entered the room?
I think there was at least one based on the story of the kid who hid in her friends blood.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #386 on: July 12, 2022, 11:34:25 PM »
Anyone hear how many were still left alive when the police entered the room?
I think there was at least one based on the story of the kid who hid in her friends blood.
I thought I remember 7, but I don't know what the final number was. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2022, 11:36:23 PM »
11:28 Truck crashes.

11:29 Gunman shoots at and misses 2 men who approach the crash scene.

11:31 Gunman shoots at school, first 911 call logged with description of incident (active shooter)

11:33 massacre of children in classroom.

11:36 first officers arrive.

11:37 they completely yielded the hallway and door in question.  Retreated ~30 yards from the door.  Gunman had a rifle, responding officers have a mix of AR carbines and pistols presented.

11:52 the first ballistic shield arrives.

12:09 a trio of ballistic shields establish a barricade ~30 yards from the door of the classroom.

12:21 Three officers advance on the room WITHOUT THE SHIELDS, two of the shield bearers appear caught off-guard and advance halfway behind the rest of the stack.  One shield left behind with no one carrying it.

12:30 All three shields are down there, somewhere.  Can't see much, it's a mess of donut crumbs or something, and someone needs to use the wall mounted hand sanitizer dispenser.  (yes, sarcasm)

12:50 A mess of gunshots and shouting, there appears to be some sort of restraint of purple gloved individuals eager to get down there, which I assume are EMT's or at least officers assigned the task of immediate first response to injured parties.  Lots of chaotic shouting, messy leadership.

All this bullscat about "we didn't have shields" and the truth of the matter is they didn't know what to do with them anyways, and when someone (I think Border Patrol... the leads in the push were wearing OD gear rather than city blue) lead the push, the shields were caught flat-footed and out of the lead of the entry team.
Makes you wonder what they actually did during the "active shooter" training that was done.  Dynamic entry of a classroom would seem to be something recommended to practice.  But the news about this whole event shows no one believed anything would ever happen and didn't take security seriously. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #388 on: July 13, 2022, 05:22:47 PM »
Some people see only what they want to see

The Uvalde video puts to bed, forever, the question of whether the way to deal with bad guys with guns is to make sure there are more good guys with guns.

We've always known it was a gun industry created lie, designed to sell more guns. Now we just have the gut wrenching proof.

— Chris Murphy (@ChrisMurphyCT) July 13, 2022

Sen. Chris Murphy says new Uvalde video shows that ‘good guys with guns’ was a lie designed to sell more guns
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/07/13/sen-chris-murphy-says-new-uvalde-video-shows-that-good-guys-with-guns-was-a-lie-designed-to-sell-more-guns/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #389 on: July 13, 2022, 06:37:11 PM »
Well, the "good guy with the gun" sort of needs to be there...

And... This would work hand-in-hand with the elimination of the gun free zones for eligible faculty and staff... If there MIGHT be someone armed there, they'll chose another place for their tantrum.
Blog under construction

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #390 on: July 13, 2022, 06:48:28 PM »
I still stand by the argument that you cannot BUY your way out of this problem, nor can you BAN your way out of this problem.

Hiring cops to be dedicated to schools doesn't work, as evidenced by Uvalde and Stoneman Douglas.

Arming teachers won't work unless the gunman chooses a room where the teacher is armed, and the teacher is fore-warned by prior signals (gunshots from outside the classroom prior to entry, an alarm or announcement, etc).

Banning guns wont work because there's 400 million of them out there and you'd have a civil war if you tried to collect any significant portion of them.

You can only BRAVE your way out of this.

I've seen this posted around on FB:

Don't like it.  Loving has nothing to do with it, nor does any sense of altruism.  We've just spend the last 2 years listening to teachers endorse gender dysphoria and seeing some creepy behavior from educators regarding child grooming and predation.  All that's needed to solve the school shooting problem is for teachers to be willing to defend THEMSELVES.  Not PAID to do it.  Not given guns and training at tax payer expense.  Not extra licenses or extra shiny badges or titles or other bullshit.  Just some honest self preservation.

You can't BUY your way out of this.  You can't BAN your way out of this.  You can only BRAVE your way out of this.

Because obviously the cops won't.
--Lysander Spooner

Jim147

• friends
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #392 on: July 17, 2022, 08:42:48 PM »
Makes you wonder what they actually did during the "active shooter" training that was done.  Dynamic entry of a classroom would seem to be something recommended to practice.  But the news about this whole event shows no one believed anything would ever happen and didn't take security seriously.

They never do -- that's the crux of the problem.

The Sandy Hook Elementary School had just installed a new security system. It was a 2-way intercom that allowed staff in the front office to identify visitors before buzzing them in. Ever hear the expression "Locks are made for honest people"? The school put in their intercom system, but nobody bothered to think about the fact that the front doors -- and large windows on either side of the front doors -- were plate glass. Not bullet-resistant plate glass -- that costs money -- just plain old, garden variety tempered glass. When you shoot tempered glass you don't get a bullet hole -- the entire pane shatters into pieces about the size of peas, or small marbles.

My local high school did a major addition and renovation not long after Columbine. SECURITY was the mantra. Yet the architects called for large plate glass (tempered, not bullet-resistant) sidelights adjacent to every classroom in the new addition. I pointed out that this was a major security issue. The deputy chief of police was consulted, and he agreed that was "dumb." The formal response from the school board was, "The architect likes them." So they stayed.

In the aftermath of Sandy Hook, the town next to mine proudly announced that they had upgraded security at their grammar school. What they did, of course, was top secret, so I wasn't able to get any answers through normal channels. However, I had known the building inspector there for more than 30 years, since he was just starting a contracting business. So I called him and asked him what the new security system was. He laughed (in an unpleasant way). They installed the exact same system that DIDN'T work at Sandy Hook.

The bottom line is that school boards pay lip service to school security but they don't know what that really requires, and they aren't willing to expend the effort to educate themselves. Instead, the elected school boards rely on advice from the "experts." The superintendent isn't interested in spending big bucks to harden the building. They'd much prefer to spend any money they can get their hands on to increase staff, giving them more useless people to supervise and, therefore, more justification for a higher salary. Architects aren't interested in spending money on ballistic-resistant glass. They want to make the buildings beautiful, so the photos will look good on their web site and in the architecture magazines.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #393 on: July 17, 2022, 09:51:54 PM »
How many times can it get worse? 

https://www.dailywire.com/news/egregious-poor-decision-making-nearly-400-cops-gathered-at-uvalde-school-before-anyone-did-anything

I'd like to say "unbelievable" but, unfortunately, it's all too believable. Here's a direct link to the actual report: https://static.texastribune.org/media/files/d005cf551ad52eea13d8753ede93320c/Uvalde%20Robb%20Shooting%20Report%20-%20Texas%20House%20Committee.pdf?_ga=2.216812497.696777951.1658086082-733005564.1658086082

I suggest reading the part detailing the police response, then going back and reading the part about the school's maintenance and security protocols. The police response was a total cluster. The school had a policy that all doors were to be locked at all times, but many teachers thought that was too inconvenient, so they ignored it, and actively took steps to conceal that when security checks were being conducted. The door to one of the two connecting classroom involved didn't lock. The teacher had reported this to the administration multiple times, but no work order was ever generated to repair it.

The only [printable] word for it is "shameful."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #395 on: July 17, 2022, 10:15:12 PM »
How did that 18 year old POS get that much $$?

https://nypost.com/2022/07/17/texas-report-reveals-chilling-way-uvalde-school-shooter-salvador-ramos-amassed-weapons-on-his-18th-birthday/

:Snort:

Caption under the screen grab of the two rifles:

Ramos posted photos on Instagram showing two machine guns before the shooting.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #396 on: July 17, 2022, 10:15:38 PM »
How did that 18 year old POS get that much $$?

https://nypost.com/2022/07/17/texas-report-reveals-chilling-way-uvalde-school-shooter-salvador-ramos-amassed-weapons-on-his-18th-birthday/

Hmmm. Writer apparently is not aware of this or more likely is choosing to ignore it.
Kid worked at Wendy's and told his co-workers he was saving the money for guns and ammo.
From a few pages back

SAVING UP FOR SLAUGHTER Texas school shooter made chilling boast about $4K plot to Wendy’s co-workers & quit when he’d saved enough for 2 AR-15s
https://www.the-sun.com/news/5419019/texas-school-shooter-plot-wendys-quit-saved-enough/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 10:49:24 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #397 on: July 17, 2022, 10:43:32 PM »
:Snort:

Caption under the screen grab of the two rifles:

Ramos posted photos on Instagram showing two machine guns before the shooting.

Also this

On May 18, “he returned … for 375 rounds of M193, a 5.56mm 55-grain round with a full metal jacket, which has a soft core surrounded by a harder metal.”

"A harder metal"
Like he's trying to imply that makes them extra deadly.

and

And amassing of his arsenal never landed on local authorities’ radar.

Two guns is an "arsenal" and should have caught the attention of "the authorities"

Also the guy seems to be trying to blame the gun shop
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 11:04:13 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2022, 08:40:07 AM »
400 cops? Holy hell. I'm sure that didn't contribute to mass confusion at all.

I'm trying to think of any single, localized incident like this that had even half this many LE on scene, and am coming up empty. There might be some, but this sounds like more cops than showed up for planned stuff, like Ruby Ridge and Waco.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #399 on: July 18, 2022, 09:12:30 AM »
400 cops? Holy hell. I'm sure that didn't contribute to mass confusion at all.

I'm trying to think of any single, localized incident like this that had even half this many LE on scene, and am coming up empty. There might be some, but this sounds like more cops than showed up for planned stuff, like Ruby Ridge and Waco.

[tinfoil]
Almost enough to make a person wonder....
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams