Author Topic: Confrontation in your 30’s is nonsense - Josh Pray  (Read 769 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Confrontation in your 30’s is nonsense - Josh Pray
« on: June 17, 2022, 10:47:58 AM »
Confrontation in your 30’s is nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAMUCF-NRR8

I thought this was a pretty good and brief commentary.  Essentially, he is too old and too fragile to get into confrontations and fights.  He is just going to leave and go home and enjoy life.  He carries and he isn't going to screw around with fist fights.   =)

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Re: Confrontation in your 30’s is nonsense - Josh Pray
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 10:54:52 AM »
Don't pick a fight with an old guy - he won't square up with his fists to duke it out, he's more likely to just kill you.

No matter your age, the best fight is the one you avoid.

Note: My 30's are in my rear view mirror . . . further back than I like to think about.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Blog under construction

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 01:27:04 PM »
He is just going to leave and go home and enjoy life.  He carries and he isn't going to screw around with fist fights.
Seems like fine advice for any age.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 01:30:29 PM »
I don't know about 30 or 40 year olds, but I know from reading The Armed Citizen: never confront really old people in their own homes. That old, old lady might be skinny and frail, and using a walker, but she has a .380. Get out before they have to carry you out!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 02:02:21 PM »
There is very little worth getting into a fistfight in public, short of protecting yourself or someone you care about.  Even leaving guns out, you never know what skill level that other person is at or if they have a weapon of their own to pull out.  Also, I have seen to many video clips of fights where one guy goes down and their adversary (and friends) give them a bunch of punches and kicks on the ground.  I think some people don't realize you can be months recovering in the hospital over that if you survive at all and aren't permanently disabled. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 02:04:19 PM »
And I have to add that same thing applies to cops.  People might assume all cops have some extra special hand-to-hand training, but I don't blame cops at all for not wanting to get hands on with a violent suspect. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 02:08:10 PM »
I'm on my way to go do laundry, after a short lunch and a trip by the thrift store - still looking for the proper food processor.

The 1911 is on the hip, and the G43 in the pocket.
Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 02:31:44 PM »
I’ve got so much arthritis in my hands (and elsewhere) that I couldn’t possibly hit anyone and hurt them more than myself. Elbow strikes maybe. But that what guns are for.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 02:49:25 PM »
The former paramedic here says that the skull and the brain within is surprisingly fragile to impact, and it does not take a very severe injury to have life-changing effects.  My worst fear in an unarmed fight would be an impact to the head from a blunt object or the ground.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 02:59:06 PM »
The former paramedic here says that the skull and the brain within is surprisingly fragile to impact, and it does not take a very severe injury to have life-changing effects.  My worst fear in an unarmed fight would be an impact to the head from a blunt object or the ground.

That's not true. I know, because I've seen Magnum and Rockford get hit in the head lots of times.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 03:47:00 PM »
That's not true. I know, because I've seen Magnum and Rockford get hit in the head lots of times.
Magnum now has a desk job and Rockford isn't with us any more, so there!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2022, 04:02:36 PM »
Or catch a kick to the head after ending up on the ground.   Or catch a blunt object on the head from the opposing guy's buddy who you didn't see behind you. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2022, 04:52:16 PM »
A couple of decades ago, Sumdood and a bunch of his friends were roaming a major park near the golf course, preying upon golfers, bicycle folks, and so on. And they had golf clubs...
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2022, 06:10:05 PM »
I'm less than 2 weeks away from 60 years old. Got a titanium hip and two remanufactured shoulders, only one of which is even close to OEM spec. I'm not the least bit interested in a fist fight. If I can't walk away, or even trot maybe, but there is no running, I'm not gonna play around.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2022, 09:52:11 PM »
Just buzzed by the stop'n'rob up the street from my store. Got a couple of bags of ice, because it's hot out.

There were two guys came in one door, grabbed stuff, went out another door, went around the building, dumped it in an expensive looking SUV, and then... did it again. I think they made three trips.

One of the back non-moving windows on the SUV was holed big...

I figure it was stolen.

Another Friday night.
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 09:52:40 PM »
Getting injured for me means not being able to work and long term disability for us is 60% of normal pay. It’s a strong incentive not to engage in physically risky behavior.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!