Author Topic: Outdoor Gas Griddles, specifically...  (Read 1974 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Outdoor Gas Griddles, specifically...
« on: May 27, 2022, 09:37:16 AM »
Now that I have a deck and am getting the back yard to more what I want it, I'm considering getting a dedicated gas griddle, primarily for summer use.

I'm thinking of one of the Cuisinarts -- https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CGG-888-Stainless-22-Inch-Outdoor/dp/B07S6HFQCZ/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=3McVv&content-id=amzn1.sym.bbb6bbd8-d236-47cb-b42f-734cb0cacc1f&pf_rd_p=bbb6bbd8-d236-47cb-b42f-734cb0cacc1f&pf_rd_r=TG5WE2QTYYKMQSAQBWXX&pd_rd_wg=I1Tnr&pd_rd_r=27baab1c-08e4-4d63-bcc1-df217ca741b3&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi&th=1

Anyone have any experience with that particular model?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Outdoor Gas Griddles, specifically...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 09:39:07 AM »
No experience with that model, but do you already have a gas grill? If not, maybe get a nice grill and have a griddle handy for when it's needed. Much more function for the same use of space.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 09:42:40 AM »
No. I have a Weber charcoal kettle.

My thoughts on getting the griddle are to keep summer cooking heat out of my house, especially my galley kitchen.

I have an induction burner, but when I really want pan fry a mess of vegetables the induction burner isn't large enough. The griddle would be more than large enough to do meat and veggies at the same time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 09:56:53 AM »
Have a turkey fryer? If you do, a simple cast iron griddle might be just the ticket.

Actually kinda like the griddle you linked, but we already have a nice grill I can slap a griddle on if needed. Negative SWMBO points if I get anything else for the porch.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 10:03:00 AM »
I would (well I do, actually) lean towards a propane grill and a $15 cast iron griddle to go with it just for the versatility.

Admittedly, I have no experience with a dedicated propane griddle, so don't know if they are significantly better than a griddle on a grill. Bacon and pancakes and stuff come out fine on my setup though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 10:04:36 AM »
I agree with Brad in that a gas grill with a stand-alone griddle or griddle plate offers more functionality. I have a Lodge cast iron griddle that I use on the gas grill when needed. https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/pro-grid-reversibile-grill-griddle?sku=LPGI3

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 10:07:33 AM »
I agree with Brad in that a gas grill with a stand-alone griddle or griddle plate offers more functionality. I have a Lodge cast iron griddle that I use on the gas grill when needed. https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/pro-grid-reversibile-grill-griddle?sku=LPGI3

Yikes! That's the one I have. They have really gone up in price. Though I just checked my Amazon history and mine was $25, not $15.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 10:24:00 AM »
All my camping friends have them. I'm going to get one this summer.

Most of them have the Walmart one or a Blackstone, everyone is happy with theirs. The universal comment is don't get the small one, step up to the 24" wide one.

I'm going to get a Blackstone 24" with 2 burners so I can in theory have 2 temperature zones.

I already have a Weber charcoal and Weber propane grill, also various cast iron, stainless and aluminum griddles. I want to be able to grill on grates and fry at the same time.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 10:34:55 AM »
No turkey fryer, no desire to get one.

Even less desire to ever have a propane grill again. When I grill, I grill on charcoal.

I like the form factor of the Cuisinart and it's more than big enough for me. It seems as if it's a good piece of kit, but appearances (and even brand names) can be deceiving.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 01:04:53 PM »
Wind plays hell with them too, since there is a air gap between the burner and the griddle.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 01:14:31 PM »
I just pulled the trigger on a 22" Blackstone Adventure Ready Griddle.

https://blackstoneproducts.com/products/adventure-ready-22-griddle-with-hood-and-stand
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 03:08:30 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 03:11:46 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the Cuisinart you linked to is that the griddle doesn't have any side walls. Some times it's nice when grilling small pieces to have a wall to push against for flipping purposes.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 03:28:12 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the Cuisinart you linked to is that the griddle doesn't have any side walls. Some times it's nice when grilling small pieces to have a wall to push against for flipping purposes.

Now that's a damned good point that I had not considered. I'll have to think about that.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 04:48:04 PM »
I keep a 17" Blackstone in the RV for places that don't allow charcoal grills (yes, they are out there). I also keep an infra-red grill (Mr. Steak) for the same reason. I like the griddle, it is a good size for just the two of us but for anymore I can see where a larger one would be much nicer.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2022, 04:52:12 PM »
The 17" Blackstone with the stand and the parts I'd need to get it to run off a 20 pound bulk bottle would be nearly $300, or double the Cuisinart.

And the bottle would be sitting out there.

I know Blackstone is pretty much the gold standard in this kind of griddle, but I'm just not crazy about the form factor.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 08:03:06 PM »
I have a Blackstone Griddle. I don’t know that the brand matters that much, but I wouldn’t go back to a regular outdoor propane grill instead of the griddle. I do occasionally use a charcoal grill if I really want that smoke flavor.

What I can cook outdoors though is greatly expanded. Basically you have the same type of griddle used in most restaurants to cook most everything. Fish, Veggies, Stir Fry, Cheesesteaks. Bacon, Eggs, etc. it can also do a real nice job on steaks and burgers. I do sometimes use charcoal for those though.

I have tried those griddle tops for grills before, it was never as nice as the dedicated Blackstone.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2022, 12:32:15 AM »
I have a Blackstone Griddle. I don’t know that the brand matters that much, but I wouldn’t go back to a regular outdoor propane grill instead of the griddle. I do occasionally use a charcoal grill if I really want that smoke flavor.

What I can cook outdoors though is greatly expanded. Basically you have the same type of griddle used in most restaurants to cook most everything. Fish, Veggies, Stir Fry, Cheesesteaks. Bacon, Eggs, etc. it can also do a real nice job on steaks and burgers. I do sometimes use charcoal for those though.

I have tried those griddle tops for grills before, it was never as nice as the dedicated Blackstone.

I hear that a lot, but I love to do grill grate seared meat and veggies like kabobs. You can't do that on a flat grill. It's the caramelized sugars of char and heat that only a grate grill can give.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2022, 12:36:28 AM »
I looked for a Blackstone Tailgator for the last few years but haven't seen one in person. Half grill half flat top. I thought it would be good for late night dogs or burgers and do breakfast on the weekends.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2022, 08:50:25 AM »
The tailgator is interesting, but it's really designed to be portable. I'm looking at something I can leave up year round (covered when not in use) and it's not looking like a ton of exposed stuff.

I did come across a very nice one that was designed to be a built in for an outdoor kitchen...

Only $5,000.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2022, 09:41:55 AM »
We have a black stone and love it. The black stones seem to have started out as portable for grilling out for camping and such.

Our next one, regardless of brand, will have a built in lid and will be half griddle half grates. Ours is a basic black stone
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2022, 10:54:49 AM »
Home Depot has a Royal Gourmet that looks promising, as well

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Gourmet-2-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-Griddle-with-Fixed-Side-Tables-GB2000/304015198

Not quite as powerful as the Cuisinart, and the propane bottle just hangs on the side, and it doesn't have a lid, but it's got curbs along the edges (something Charby mentions as being very useful) and I think the square shape is a bit more useful.

The size is about right for me, as well, but then again so is the Cuisinart.

ANALYSIS PARALYSIS TIME!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2022, 12:38:07 PM »
Go browse around Walmart.com. The Blackstone Adventure that I ordered is $194 with the adapter hose.

Uranus is a gas giant.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2022, 01:02:54 PM »
When I was still working with the Scout troop, they used a two burner grill with a cast iron griddle that fit over the two burners.  Probably 32" wide.  Surely more than you need.  Nice thing is with the griddle that size is you had hot and warm spots, which is useful when cooking for more than  one.  Gotta watch your grease drain or you'll end up with a grease puddle on your deck. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2022, 04:09:02 PM »
Go browse around Walmart.com. The Blackstone Adventure that I ordered is $194 with the adapter hose.

There's no place that I can see to hang the 20 lb tank. It needs to sit on the ground, which is exactly what I do NOT want to do on my deck. I don't feel like dealing with the tank rusting all over my deck.

Yep, found a picture on Walmart.com. No tank rack, no thanks.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2022, 06:37:01 PM »
There's no place that I can see to hang the 20 lb tank. It needs to sit on the ground, which is exactly what I do NOT want to do on my deck. I don't feel like dealing with the tank rusting all over my deck.

Yep, found a picture on Walmart.com. No tank rack, no thanks.

Can you come up with a separate tank rack that will suit your needs?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.