Author Topic: wierd freezer burn  (Read 727 times)

Andiron

• friend
wierd freezer burn
« on: May 30, 2022, 04:40:06 PM »
I was cleaning out the freezer and found a few pieces of meat that didn't seal right and had started to freezer burn.  Thawed them out and now there's this weird black stuff.  You guys seen anything like this?

IMG-20220530-131654892" border="0
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: wierd freezer burn
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 05:07:11 PM »
Aliens. :D

I dunno what it is, blood maybe?  Just trim it off and the meat should be fine.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 05:16:27 PM »
Probably dried meat juice that came to the surface with the ice crystals when it burned.

Or, Satan.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 06:09:09 PM »
I agree with bob.  It's likely aliens.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 06:51:59 PM »
Trimmed it and into the smoker it goes.  Will report back if it grows tentacles or if I require the services of an exorcist.

Thanks.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 06:58:04 PM »
It's COVID-Monkey-RageHamster Pax
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 08:03:47 PM »
It's COVID-Monkey-RageHamster Pax

You missed the bat soup
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 06:54:42 AM »
You missed the bat soup

That's the appetizer.

Gaz-bat-cho
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 08:37:26 AM »
^ "Gaz-bat-cho."

Owwwwch.  (But very good.)  (The pun, not the meat.) (I learned a long time ago if food is the slightest bit suspicious for any reason whatsoever, trash it, and don't feed it to the dog.)  (Good advice, take it or leave it.) (Ignore the "yeah, buts" to follow.) (Some medico said somewhere that many cases of "flu" symptoms were actually due to food poisoning of one kind or another.)

Heh.  "Gaz-bat-cho."  :rofl:

Good one, Fly 320s. Worthy of the Knowbell Prix for Punsteration.

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 08:55:38 AM »
"Some medico said somewhere that many cases of "flu" symptoms were actually due to food poisoning of one kind or another."

I've seen the same thing and I have NO problem believing it at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 10:13:50 AM »
"Some medico said somewhere that many cases of "flu" symptoms were actually due to food poisoning of one kind or another."

I've seen the same thing and I have NO problem believing it at all.

Same here.  Read that many years ago.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 11:21:40 AM »
When in doubt throw it out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2022, 11:23:44 AM »
Whats the temp in your freezer?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2022, 08:25:52 PM »
Whats the temp in your freezer?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn !

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2022, 11:27:54 PM »
duckduckgo to the rescue...

My  refrigerator freezer is 10.5° F.  A little higher than recommended, but I'm in and out of there a lot and I can't get behind the box to clean the condenser "coils" any more.  Turnover is frequent.  I don't load it up --there's just me in the picture --and turnover is a week, maybe ten days.

Most of my 72-hour emergency food is in non-refrigerator items like canned goods and the ever-popular Hormel Compleats (spelling is correct) or the Dinty Moore equivalent..

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 01:25:43 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2022, 07:05:30 AM »
I keep the freezer on the fridge in the kitchen at 0.

I think I have the deep freeze in the basement set to -15.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2022, 09:47:15 AM »
Well, I'm kind of a Watt miser and like an air conditioner, the colder you set it, the more kWh you use.  The 10.5° F suits my spoilage rate fine, since the turnaround is 7-10 days as I mentioned and it takes a lot longer than that for food to spoil at 10.5° F.

Miser-wise, there are billing periods in spring and fall (12 hours daylight, moderate temps) where I can get below 100 kWh per bill. Funny story about that regarding my own stupidity for another time.

Terry

ETA:   I'm in an apartment with heat and water provided.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 02:13:16 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2022, 09:55:41 AM »
Lowest I've had KwHR wise is about 480-500.

Since I got the pellet stove winter usage has dropped dramatically as I no longer really use the heat pump to heat the house (except over Thanksgiving and Christmas when I'm away for a week or two).

Winter months this year were:

November (2021) 484
December 514
January 535
February 571

Last year's summer months were:

May 685
June 797
July 951
August 756
September 753
October 556

In a really hot summer I'll go above 1,000 a month, but generally not often. I turn the AC way up when I leave in the morning (generally to 80) and then I turn it way down in the afternoon when I get home, generally to 72 or so. That both cools the house and it dehumidifies it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2022, 10:39:53 AM »
When in doubt throw it out.
I have to agree with that.  Money and food supply is not so tight I need to worry about eating questionable food. 

That might change.   [tinfoil]
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge