Author Topic: Marlin 1895 Trapper is back.  (Read 893 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Marlin 1895 Trapper is back.
« on: May 30, 2022, 01:17:09 AM »
Ruger announced the Marlin 1895 Trapper is back in limited production.

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/marlin-model-1895-trapper-leveraction-rifle/460804

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895trapper/

Dunno what it is but I have a soft spot for Trappers. I've lusted after one for years. I will have one some day. With the Ruglin 1895 being universally well received as a way, way better gun than Remington, and possibly even Marlin proper, ever made, now I want a Trapper that much more.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Marlin 1895 Trapper is back.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 07:22:57 AM »
That'd be a damn fine trunk gun. Altho I think that it could be a bit rough on the pelts.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 07:35:47 AM »
I've always wanted one of the long barreled Cowboy 1895s...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 10:26:09 AM »
I love the peep sites. But I don't like 45-70.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 10:56:31 AM »
That'd be a damn fine trunk gun. Altho I think that it could be a bit rough on the pelts.

It's for bear protection when checking the trapline.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 01:24:00 PM »

Take your squirrel for instance. Hit it face on with the 45-70 and it'll turn inside out. Just gnaw off the meat, turn it right side out and cure the pelt!

Done!

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 01:59:00 PM »
I saw that available on a website for a couple days at $1500.  I sort of hope the overpriced auctions on Gunbroker might be declining and we can see the guns available. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 07:16:25 PM »
https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/lever-action/model-1895-trapper-45-70-gov-t-rifle-prod146397.aspx
Brownells has it up for pre-order if you are really interested.  MSRP price at $1349.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 11:28:08 AM »
I recently had the opportunity to shoot my Father's Sharps in .45-70.  It's a fun round to shoot (at least out of a 12lbs rifle) the cost of ammo was pretty eye watering.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 03:41:23 PM »
While making my latest visit to one of my local gun stores last week the subject of Ruger Marlins came up. The counter guy said they are hard to come by and when they have gotten one in they've never had to call the 2nd name on the waiting list.
They did get one of the 1895 Trappers in a few days ago and in his opinion it was a very attractive rifle and fit and finish was well done.

As to .45-70 in general...
Even with my pathetic, remodeled and reassembled shoulders I can still enjoy a limited amount of shooting with my (Pedersoli) 1874 Sharps in .45-70, particularly when shooting full house black powder loads, it's just a freaking hoot.
My Henry .45-70 lever gun in .45-70 is absolutely brutal and I will not even try a full power load in that rifle since my shoulder surgeries. However even with heavy cast bullets over a load of Trail Boss powder it is pleasant enough to be fun.

Trail Boss powder can really tame down otherwise brutal cartridges.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 11:10:40 PM »
They announced a Guide Gun model also. 
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895guide/

This one looks pretty good.  Slightly cheaper.  I would like to see some more production so the retail price can come down a bit. 

The website also shows a Model 336 and a Model 1894, but there isn't a link to see details.  I assume they are coming soon. 
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/leverAction/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 07:09:00 AM »
I still want an 1895 Cowboy.

Those things look freaking awesome.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2022, 07:45:57 AM »
I used to lust after a 45-70 with the octagon barrel. These days, my shoulder and eyes (detached retinas are a high risk for me) prevent any such flights of fancy.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2022, 10:07:16 AM »
I still want an 1895 Cowboy.

Those things look freaking awesome.
It is amazing to me that those went for $500 not all that long ago (early to mid-2000's).  The demand for lever guns seems to have outstripped supply.  Either they are hard to make or few want to make them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2022, 10:11:06 AM »
It is amazing to me that those went for $500 not all that long ago (early to mid-2000's).  The demand for lever guns seems to have outstripped supply.  Either they are hard to make or few want to make them.

Tell me about it. I was rather startled this morning that MSRP is now $1,099...

It's out of stock at both Bud's and Classic so no telling what it's going for on the street.

One of these days I'll get one just for the hell of it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2022, 11:55:24 AM »

Given the quality of some Remlins, you might still be able to get one for that. From what I've seen and read, Ruglins are a completely different gun in terms of quality.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 01:59:33 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2022, 01:27:13 PM »
This thread interruption is brought to you by Levergun Memories.

One year at deer camp my father's cousin brought out an old, mid-grade Savage 99.  That was a smooth, sleek, beautiful rifle. If Jayne Mansfield was a rifle, she was a 99. I'd love to own one in .308 or .250 -3000.

But leverguns are not part of my lexicon and it'd probably just lay in the safe... until...
Until autumn delivers it's early dusk and cool nights. I'm home alone. The doors are locked and the curtains drawn.  With a fire going and the lights low, and perhaps some smooth bebop on the hi fi, I take her out gently. After expertly working the action, I pour a small glass of Hoppes and touch her all over with my greedy fingers.
Then!
Roughly pull her up, stare intently into her williams peep for a hot second, and drop the hammer! Finally, I gently caress her sleek lines one last time before putting her back to bed for several months.

A guy can dream ya know.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 03:43:02 PM by Tuco »
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2022, 01:57:57 PM »
One of the guns that I absolutely will never part with, under any circumstance, is my 1936-made Savage 99 in .300 Savage.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2022, 02:34:58 PM »
I had an opportunity to by a preRemlin era .44Mag 1894 trapper and I, like a dumbass, passed on it. For $550.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!