Author Topic: California Reparations  (Read 6685 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
California Reparations
« on: June 04, 2022, 07:42:28 PM »
It appears to be about a done deal for Calif to pass "reparations". I would say "states rights, and they can do what they want in their state", but I have a nagging suspicion ALL taxpayers will be covering some of this when CA runs out of money and a dem administration bails them out.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/06/04/californias-slavery-reparations-report-suggests-child-support-forgiveness-free-college-free-health-care/

Oh, and they apparently have a "Truth and Reconciliation Commission" in the state now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
Re: California Reparations
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 08:06:25 PM »
Same as when Illinois defaults.  The rest of us are on the hook.

The Romanians figured out the cure.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 08:37:38 PM »
It appears to be about a done deal for Calif to pass "reparations". I would say "states rights, and they can do what they want in their state", but I have a nagging suspicion ALL taxpayers will be covering some of this when CA runs out of money and a dem administration bails them out.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/06/04/californias-slavery-reparations-report-suggests-child-support-forgiveness-free-college-free-health-care/

Oh, and they apparently have a "Truth and Reconciliation Commission" in the state now.

How many slaves were in California back in the day?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 10:04:43 PM »
How many slaves were in California back in the day?

That weren't Chinese?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 09:43:20 PM »
The majority of California voters are racist, who knew?

More than half of California voters are against cash payments for reparation for slavery, a new poll has found.

The research is showing a potential issue for lawmakers as they begin to consider reparation in the state next year.

Governor Gavin Newsom set up a reparation task force, which suggested awarding every black resident $5million.

It also believes that those entitled to the cash should have their personal debt wiped and guarantee a $97,000 income for 250 years and $1 homes.

$5 million cash + all personal debt wiped + $97K per year for 250 years + $1 homes.
Let that sink in

Majority of California voters do NOT support cash reparations for slavery - after Gov Newsom's task force recommended residents be given $5million handout
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12506221/Majority-California-voters-NOT-support-cash-reparations-slavery-Gov-Newsoms-task-force-recommended-residents-given-5million-handout.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 09:51:31 PM »
An awful lot of people in CA are all in for this with zero clue that this would completely deep 6 the economy which would make any money they get totally worthless. Afterwards the only viable currency would be ammo

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 10:28:47 PM »
$5 million cash + all personal debt wiped + $97K per year for 250 years + $1 homes.
Let that sink in

That sank in pretty quick. That's beyond idiotic -- that would bankrupt the state (as if it weren't already bankrupt) instantly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 08:05:11 AM »
MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I smell another HUGE round of money flight out of California, followed by a state bankruptcy.

I love the smell of massive failure in the morning.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 08:20:17 AM »
As long as there's a dem president, CA can spend all the money it wants, knowing they will be bailed out. While it was fun to watch Trump cut off the bailout money train (get it?), Biden just turned it back on during his first month in office.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 08:37:00 AM »
Actually, I could see Democrats abandoning California over this.

Not because it's wrong, the Democrats love the concept, but the absolutely MASSIVE price tag involved. Yeah, idiots like Cori Bush are pushing for even more ridiculous amounts, but I suspect that when this explodes spectacularly in California's face and it comes begging for money that only the most far left liberals will be supporting bailing them out. The main Democratic party won't be to quick to turn on the money taps, especially Democrats who serve more conservative areas. They know that going to their constituent base and saying "hey, FYI, we're adding $72,000 a year to your tax burden because California..." will be a kiss of political death. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2023, 08:51:31 AM »
Would black folks that moved into CA after the passage of this law also get Reparations?

We could see a pretty solid two direction migration here of tax payers and tax recipients.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2023, 08:56:53 AM »
Not because it's wrong, the Democrats love the concept, but the absolutely MASSIVE price tag involved.  ;/

Quite possibly. WLJ's chart above couldn't have those "oppose" numbers without dems.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2023, 09:50:24 AM »
Would black folks that moved into CA after the passage of this law also get Reparations?

We could see a pretty solid two direction migration here of tax payers and tax recipients.

I've been wondering the same thing. But to ask that question is racist, and makes you a racist.

Because... reasons.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2023, 09:57:49 AM »
This would destroy the housing market in the entire United States.

There are 2.3 million black residents in California.  Giving each of them $5 million will destroy the local economy through inflation.  Won't be able to touch a car for less than $100k after that.  Local houses will go up over $2 million easily, almost overnight.

The next problem will be the flight to other States in order to avoid loss of buying power.

Unsure if that $97K annuity stays with them when they leave California, but the damage will be done with the initial $5 million payment per person.  Property will skyrocket anywhere their buying power will reach.  Who knows how many will maintain dual State residency in order to retain that $97K annuity.  Will it turn out that even rent on a studio apartment is worth a significant part of that $97K per year after this, for those who want to game the system?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2023, 09:59:14 AM »
Where the hell they gonna get $1 homes?  Put them out in the middle of the desert, like a new age Indian Reservation?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2023, 10:00:26 AM »
Where the hell they gonna get $1 homes?  Put them out in the middle of the desert, like a new age Indian Reservation?

No no no! Seize them from whitey!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2023, 10:01:42 AM »
This would destroy the housing market in the entire United States.

There are 2.3 million black residents in California.  Giving each of them $5 million will destroy the local economy through inflation.  Won't be able to touch a car for less than $100k after that.  Local houses will go up over $2 million easily, almost overnight.

The next problem will be the flight to other States in order to avoid loss of buying power.

Unsure if that $97K annuity stays with them when they leave California, but the damage will be done with the initial $5 million payment per person.  Property will skyrocket anywhere their buying power will reach.  Who knows how many will maintain dual State residency in order to retain that $97K annuity.  Will it turn out that even rent on a studio apartment is worth a significant part of that $97K per year after this, for those who want to game the system?

Wow... never thought about the inflationary aspect of injecting that much money into the economy that quickly.

BRING ON THE MONEY TRUCKS! I WANT CALIFORNIA TO *expletive deleted*ing BURN!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2023, 10:04:53 AM »
Never mind California was never a slave state
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2023, 10:06:01 AM »
The inflationary explosion due to reparations would not be limited to California.  Such thinking is naive.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2023, 10:17:03 AM »

Wow... never thought about the inflationary aspect of injecting that much money into the economy that quickly.

BRING ON THE MONEY TRUCKS! I WANT CALIFORNIA TO *expletive deleted*ing BURN!

The impact will not be limited to CA and will grow even worse when some in other states start demanding their share. Passing this will not only wreck the entire economy but also will be  lighting the fuse to a much larger bomb.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 12:12:13 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2023, 10:20:28 AM »

You're not far off. Before I left, Santa Barbara County had "low income requirements" in which - I forget the exact percentage, but let's WAG it at 20% - a percentage of every new development had to include "low income housing". And I don't mean an apartment building in  a single family subdivision - I mean actual homes.

As an example, a development went up across the street from me on the bluffs overlooking the ocean around fifteen years ago. Fancy homes starting at I think it was $900K and running to a couple of million. They had to set five aside for low income POCs (hispanics in this instance) at $250K a pop with a "You qualify with no money down!" bank loan to go with them. The developers aren't going to just eat several million in losses, they're going to pass the costs on.

I wouldn't be surprised if CA state didn't do something similar, with "25% of all new developments must have $1 reparation homes".

In fact here's the subdivision:

https://www.zillow.com/goleta-ca/?searchQueryState=%7B%22pagination%22%3A%7B%7D%2C%22mapBounds%22%3A%7B%22north%22%3A34.42712871294117%2C%22east%22%3A-119.89546922084598%2C%22south%22%3A34.42351798328971%2C%22west%22%3A-119.90174558994083%7D%2C%22mapZoom%22%3A18%2C%22isMapVisible%22%3Atrue%2C%22filterState%22%3A%7B%22ah%22%3A%7B%22value%22%3Atrue%7D%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22value%22%3A%22days%22%7D%7D%2C%22isListVisible%22%3Atrue%2C%22regionSelection%22%3A%5B%7B%22regionId%22%3A4931%2C%22regionType%22%3A6%7D%5D%7D

If people get houses like this for free because of their color, lots of other working people in CA trying to find a 40 year old 1200sqft tract home for under $500K are probably not going to be happy, regardless of their politics. Rich white liberals who already live in $5 million homes will be happy though.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2023, 10:21:32 AM »

I'm sure all of the Hollywood elites pushing this stuff will gladly sell their homes for $1
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2023, 10:48:06 AM »
Same as when Illinois defaults.  The rest of us are on the hook.

The Romanians figured out the cure.

Ah yes, the day the Ceaușescu's became good communists.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2023, 11:09:08 AM »
You're not far off. Before I left, Santa Barbara County had "low income requirements" in which - I forget the exact percentage, but let's WAG it at 20% - a percentage of every new development had to include "low income housing". And I don't mean an apartment building in  a single family subdivision - I mean actual homes.

As an example, a development went up across the street from me on the bluffs overlooking the ocean around fifteen years ago. Fancy homes starting at I think it was $900K and running to a couple of million. They had to set five aside for low income POCs (hispanics in this instance) at $250K a pop with a "You qualify with no money down!" bank loan to go with them. The developers aren't going to just eat several million in losses, they're going to pass the costs on.

I wouldn't be surprised if CA state didn't do something similar, with "25% of all new developments must have $1 reparation homes".

In fact here's the subdivision:

https://www.zillow.com/goleta-ca/?searchQueryState=%7B%22pagination%22%3A%7B%7D%2C%22mapBounds%22%3A%7B%22north%22%3A34.42712871294117%2C%22east%22%3A-119.89546922084598%2C%22south%22%3A34.42351798328971%2C%22west%22%3A-119.90174558994083%7D%2C%22mapZoom%22%3A18%2C%22isMapVisible%22%3Atrue%2C%22filterState%22%3A%7B%22ah%22%3A%7B%22value%22%3Atrue%7D%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22value%22%3A%22days%22%7D%7D%2C%22isListVisible%22%3Atrue%2C%22regionSelection%22%3A%5B%7B%22regionId%22%3A4931%2C%22regionType%22%3A6%7D%5D%7D

If people get houses like this for free because of their color, lots of other working people in CA trying to find a 40 year old 1200sqft tract home for under $500K are probably not going to be happy, regardless of their politics. Rich white liberals who already live in $5 million homes will be happy though.

That's pretty common around here, as well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2023, 11:11:52 AM »
"Rich white liberals who already live in $5 million homes will be happy though."

ONLY as long as those set-aside homes aren't in their locale... After all, wouldn't want there to be a negative impact on the value of MY home.