Author Topic: Dot's Pretzels Review  (Read 3089 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Dot's Pretzels Review
« on: January 20, 2022, 07:48:13 PM »
Just buy a bag.

They're pretzely, and spicy, and nobody can eat just... Oh hell, grab that next handful.

I don't know how much is real, and how much is hype, but the first bag is gone, and I'm thinking of going to the store for more.

https://dotspretzels.com/
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Dot's Pretzels Review
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 10:48:53 PM »
I've been eating them for at least 5 years, probably longer because I don't remember when they hit the shelves here. I live the southwest flavored ones too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 07:38:36 AM »
Wife likes them a lot.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 12:28:15 PM »
Better than Rolled Gold or Utz?  (I like those, but not all that much)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 01:21:52 PM »
I'm Pennsylvania German, which means that I've got pretzels in my blood.

I'll come out at the start and say this...

Rolled Gold pretzels are disgusting.

If given a choice between Rolled Gold pretzels and potato chips, I'll take potato chips every time. And I really don't like potato chips all that much.

Utz pretzels are a LOT better. Their hard pretzels (and I really prefer hard pretzels) are pretty good but not the best.

Snyders of East Berlin are far better than Snyder's of Hanover.

Herrs and Wege are pretty good, as ar Martin's. Unique Splits was a smaller brand that's getting wider circulation. I can now get them here in Virginia, and they're good, especially the extra salt ones.

Bickel's made some fantastic pretzels when I was in college in the 1980s, but they slipped a bit when they were acquired by Hanover Foods Corp. And, now, Wege is a subsidiary of Bickel's.

The best, and I mean absolute best, hard pretzels come from smaller, independent bakeries that rarely get past the Pennsylvania border.

Uncle Henry's and Revonah are really the best pretzels I've ever had.

That said, I'm not sure if I've seen Dot's Pretzels or not. I'll look out for them to give them a try.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 09:38:01 AM »
My mother in law had some out when we visited this weekend.

Well seasoned, good texture.  I don't typically like hard pretzels but these are really good.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 11:54:23 AM »
^^^I have seen these in the local WalMart, along with baked cheese curls.  I am not a fan of hard pretzels, but perhaps I will have to try these.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 12:05:03 PM »
"I am not a fan of hard pretzels"

Goldurned left coasters, not knowing *expletive deleted*it about what's good...

mutter mutter mutter mutter...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 01:07:56 PM »
My local Walmart has them, but they are expensive.  $6 for a 1 pound bag.  I might try a bag just to see next time I make a walmart run.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 01:09:35 PM »
I think the reason they taste so good and we want to keep eating more is the MSG.  If you're not a fan of MSG flavored snacks then you might not like Dot's pretzels.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 02:32:49 PM »
My local Walmart has them, but they are expensive.  $6 for a 1 pound bag.  I might try a bag just to see next time I make a walmart run.

Seems like every snack food is running $6 a bag anymore. I like the Beer Nuts Bar Mix, its $6 or more for a bag. Same with getting bags of snack mix at Fleet Farm, it's $6 or more.

Check at HyVee, I've seen Dot's go on sale fairly often.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 07:03:51 AM »
Seems like every snack food is running $6 a bag anymore. I like the Beer Nuts Bar Mix, its $6 or more for a bag. Same with getting bags of snack mix at Fleet Farm, it's $6 or more.

Check at HyVee, I've seen Dot's go on sale fairly often.

Another case where inflation is good! Expensive snack foods keep us from getting fat!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 12:34:58 PM »
I bought a bag of the southwest flavor and they were pretty good.  Not sure if I like them more than the original though.

The primary reason I prefer these to most hard pretzels is the texture (they crunch but don't just shatter into a mouth-drying dust).  Secondarily, while I can enjoy the big bits of salt stuck to the side of pretzels, these are more fully seasoned with a powder that covers the whole piece.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 01:53:55 PM »
"they crunch but don't just shatter into a mouth-drying dust"

That's why you have a beer on hand -- to slake your dusty thirst.

That's why they call them beer pretzels.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 05:48:06 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2022, 01:48:56 PM »
Sadie had a stand set up at the fair last year selling them. They are good for a hard pretzel. I'm a hot soft pretzel person.

The girls went to the store yesterday and brought home Dot's chicharrones. Those are real good.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 09:36:45 AM »
Love Dot's Pretzels.  I like the original and the Honey Mustard ones.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2022, 06:07:48 PM »
I saw some Dot's pretzels today at Walmart, marked down to $3.  Original flavor.  I bought a bag.  I like them, but glad I didn't pay $7 for them.  They mostly taste like MSG.  I've eaten about half the bag already, but don't think I'll be buying more.
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2022, 05:29:16 PM »
My wife had to spend some time with her Dad at a hospital in Asheville.  He had rebroken his hip and needed to go there for specialized surgery.  While commuting back and forth from home, she stopped at an Ingles grocery store for some snacks to take with her.  She stumbled on a pretzel made by the Asheville Pretzel Company.  Boy howdy, are those things good!  Probably one of the best pretzels, if not the best, I have ever had.
The Asheville Pretzel Co. was started by a transplant from PA who had noticed a glaring lack of pretzels in the local watering holes around Asheville.
Unfortunately, they are not available in any of the Ingles stores around here, nor anywhere else for that matter.  We'll be ordering some from their webstore.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 06:03:00 PM »
ALL of the best pretzels have strong connection to central or eastern Pennsylvania.

All of them.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2022, 08:15:24 PM »
There is an outfit here in St. Louis called Gus's Pretzels... YOu can buy 'em fresh on some street corners during morning rush hour. The guys go pick up a cooler or two of 'em, and flog 'em to commuters.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2022, 09:10:08 PM »
In Central Pennsylvania we had Schmitty's Pretzels that had a network of street vendors.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2022, 09:27:38 AM »
ALL of the best pretzels have strong connection to central or eastern Pennsylvania.

All of them.

Read a stat that 80% of all pretzels are made in Pennsylvania.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2022, 09:29:31 AM »
There's a Snyder of Hanover knockoff of Dot's pretzels that are pretty good and a touch cheaper.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2022, 09:55:11 AM »
Read a stat that 80% of all pretzels are made in Pennsylvania.

Yep, and the vast majority of them are made in South Central and South East Pennsylvania.

In that map the counties in red, light blue, and gold in the south and moving east are the hotbeds for pretzel manufacturing, ESPECIALLY Adams, York, Lancaster, Lebanon, Berks, Montgomery, and Chester counties.