Author Topic: The problem with San Francisco is.....  (Read 930 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
The problem with San Francisco is.....
« on: June 06, 2022, 10:39:18 AM »
that republicans have been holding it back.
As someone points out in the replies SF's last R mayor was almost 60 years ago (1964).
My head hurts

Gas Lighting gone to plaid

NY Magazine: San Francisco is a disaster area because Republicans have kept it from reaching its true progressive potential
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/06/06/ny-magazine-san-francisco-is-a-disaster-area-because-republicans-have-kept-it-from-reaching-its-true-progressive-potential/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: The problem with San Francisco is.....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 11:18:50 AM »
Masses of homeless, unaffordable real estate, an INCREDIBLE class divide, streets covered with human waste and used hypodermic needles...

It's very evident that San Francisco has fully reached its progressive potential, and is actually overachieving.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 11:25:55 AM »
"Real San Francisco has never been tried!"   :rofl:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 11:58:11 AM »
I am mentally substituting 'Seattle' for 'San Francisco', and it fits right in.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 12:35:39 PM »
It's the Left's playbook.

1) Take over a city
2) Enact leftist policies
3) Watch the city turn to *expletive deleted*it as a direct result of said policies
4) Blame Republicans
5) Move to another city
6) Go to step 1

I am mentally substituting 'Seattle' for 'San Francisco', and it fits right in.

Or Portland, Chicago, D.C., Baltimore ...
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 12:44:14 PM »
The problem with San Francisco is.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81K38VOyVL8
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 03:37:55 PM »
Doublethink.

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
Turds on the sidewalk are uplifting
San Francisco is paradise
Lying is noble

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 03:40:38 PM »
Doublethink.

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength
*expletive deleted*it on the sidewalk is uplifting
San Francisco is paradise

Censorship is free speech
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 03:36:58 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2022, 05:14:38 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/06/how-san-francisco-became-failed-city/661199/

Interesting article.
What a horror show.  And the author still doesn't seem to realize what they are saying or so it seems.  Embraces what they are doing with little appreciation for the fact that the current state is the inevitable consequence of the things she sounds fond of.   

The budget to tackle homelessness and provide supportive housing has been growing exponentially for years. In 2021, the city announced that it would pour more than $1 billion into the issue over the next two years. But almost 8,000 people remain on the streets.
None of what they are doing actually helps people out of homelessness or encourages a change.  It just maintains the status quo and enables more drug use and self destruction.  From what the author said it is to the point they encourage homeless not to seek medical care whether they need it or not. 

Then on the other side, they are so committed to not messing with the view and "beauty" of the city, they refuse to allow any construction or change that might make housing more affordable that might make it easier for working class people to get started.  Sounds like a situation that either forces you to leave or makes you want to lose yourself in drugs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 06:32:02 PM »
Remember, the goal is to totally disrupt this country by any means necessary including illogical propaganda screeds in order to lay the way for Communism to take over.

Tough words?

Take them or leave them.

Remember also:  Senator McCarthy had it right, but, overcome with success, overplayed his hand.

"Just like that asshat 230RN's post," you're saying.

Terry, 230RN

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 06:54:47 PM »
^^^ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_scare. In light of the involvement of Senator McCarthy in the Lavender Scare, it is interesting as to the rumors of him being gay.  I suppose we will never know for sure, much like the rumors surrounding J. Edgar Hoover.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 10:45:11 AM »
^^^ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_scare. In light of the involvement of Senator McCarthy in the Lavender Scare, it is interesting as to the rumors of him being gay.  I suppose we will never know for sure, much like the rumors surrounding J. Edgar Hoover.

Is that relevant to his stand on Communism? 

Anyone can semantically load an argument with the words "witch hunt."  There were valid reasons for the concern over homosexuality because of the danger of such people being blackmailed into disloyal behavior.  Nowadays, I guess not so much,  e.g.:

Colorado's governor is admittedly gay and recently married his partner of 18 years.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/colorado-s-polis-marries-longtime-partner-first-same-sex-marriage-n1279408

In those days, there were no gradations of homosexuality.  If you were queer, you were queer 120% and subject to blackmail.

Nowadays the end-game Communists have disguised themselves under a variety of gradations:  liberal, forward-thinking, progressive, etc, etc., all nicely neutral-sounding.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:34:18 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2022, 10:46:02 AM »
If he was gay would that make disagreeing with him a hate crime?
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 11:16:52 AM »
If he was gay would that make disagreeing with him a hate crime?

Nowadays, that's not such a far-fetched (hence amusing) observation.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 12:38:01 PM »
I have read several books about the Venona messages being released in the US in 1995 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venona_project) and it was interesting to see how many of the people accused during the McCarthy hearings and related matters turned out to be actual Soviet spies.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 07:47:24 PM »
For background:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy

"Senator Joseph McCarthy...

1908 – May 2, 1957) was an American politician who served as a Republican U.S. Senator from the state of Wisconsin from 1947 until his death in 1957. Beginning in 1950, McCarthy became the most visible public face of a period in the United States in which Cold War tensions fueled fears of widespread communist subversion.[1] He is known for alleging that numerous communists and Soviet spies and sympathizers had infiltrated the United States federal government, universities, film industry,[2][3] and elsewhere. Ultimately, the smear tactics that he used led him to be censured by the U.S. Senate. The term "McCarthyism", coined in 1950 in reference to McCarthy's practices, was soon applied to similar anti-communist activities. Today, the term is used more broadly to mean demagogic, reckless, and unsubstantiated accusations, as well as public attacks on the character or patriotism of political opponents.[4][5]"

(230RN stage-whispters "Control the language, and you control the issue.")

The Rosenberg executions:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/rosenbergs-executed

"On April 5, 1951, a judge sentenced them [the Rosenbergs --230RN] to death and the pair was taken to Sing Sing* to await execution.

During the next two years, the couple became the subject of both national and international debate. Some people believed that the Rosenbergs were the victims of a surge of hysterical anti-communist feeling in the United States, and protested that the death sentence handed down was cruel and unusual punishment. Many Americans, however, believed that the Rosenbergs had been dealt with justly. They agreed with President Dwight D. Eisenhower when he issued a statement declining to invoke executive clemency for the pair. He stated, 'I can only say that, by immeasurably increasing the chances of atomic war, the Rosenbergs may have condemned to death tens of millions of innocent people all over the world. The execution of two human beings is a grave matter. But even graver is the thought of the millions of dead whose deaths may be directly attributable to what these spies have done.' ”

The above quotes seem reasonably consonant with my recollections.

So I repeat my previous sentiment that McCarthy had it right, but flushed with success, he overdid it.

Terry, 230RN

* Common slang for the famous prison at Ossining New York on the Hudson River.  Hence the expression "sending him up the river" to mean "sending him to prison."
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:27:51 PM by 230RN »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 09:56:27 PM »
None of what they are doing actually helps people out of homelessness or encourages a change.  It just maintains the status quo and enables more drug use and self destruction.  From what the author said it is to the point they encourage homeless not to seek medical care whether they need it or not. 
For the chronically homeless, the lack of shelter is just a symptom, not the core problem. Pretending it is the core issue is destined to lead to failure.

Unfortunately, I can’t see a good answer to the real problem.