Author Topic: Gun Safety Laws vs Incentives  (Read 555 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Gun Safety Laws vs Incentives
« on: June 08, 2022, 10:37:49 AM »
An interesting article:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/stefanik-introduces-gun-safety-legislation-incentives-counter-mandates

Stefanik is suggesting incentives, like tax deductions for firearms training or buying safes, rather than restrictions. I think it is food for thought.

I don't think anything she suggests would stop something like the two latest shootings, as again, we are dealing with criminals and mentally unstable people.

However, I have always been a big proponent of "Any law abiding citizen should be able to buy a gun like they buy a carton of milk", but also, "I think it's a REALLY good idea for people to voluntarily get basic safety, and even defensive firearms training".

I would be in favor of tax incentives for people to VOLUNTARILY get training, and even to buy storage. That's a carrot. I wonder how many more people would take something like "Defensive Pistol 1" if they could deduct it off their taxes, or even get a tax credit?

It additionally got me thinking of what the private sector could do as PR for the firearms industry. Like what if you went to the gun store to buy a Glock 19, and found you could either buy it for $500, or you could walk in with a certificate from said "Defensive Pistol 1", and buy it for $250 (or a rebate with proof of training)? I wonder how many people would take the latter option and walk away with a great deal on their gun and some good, eye-opening (from personal experience) training that far too many people never bother to get.

It seems to me something like this could be a positive boost for the pro-gun side. And even if it isn't a PR boost, it seems like it would be a good option to incentivize people to get trained.

"Training is the most important"

-Garand Thumb
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Gun Safety Laws vs Incentives
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 10:48:58 AM »
In Texas, there's a training course to get a concealed handgun license that covered CHL law and conflict management - this being Texas, it was a fairly useful reminder of do's and don'ts when carrying and in each case, the instructors were "gunnies" themselves.

I shudder to think of what state approved (or worse, state mandated) "gun safety" courses would look like in CA, NY, IL, or other Democrat-controlled states.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 11:37:56 AM »
The whole problem with this is it is 100% voluntary and that is abhorrent to a liberal. Everything a liberal wants and desires must be rammed up the People’s asses forcefully and based 100% on emotion
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 12:01:13 PM »
The whole problem with this is it is 100% voluntary and that is abhorrent to a liberal. Everything a liberal wants and desires must be rammed up the People’s asses forcefully and based 100% on emotion

"Everything not forbidden is mandatory"

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 12:09:25 PM »
It additionally got me thinking of what the private sector could do as PR for the firearms industry. Like what if you went to the gun store to buy a Glock 19, and found you could either buy it for $500, or you could walk in with a certificate from said "Defensive Pistol 1", and buy it for $250 (or a rebate with proof of training)? I wonder how many people would take the latter option and walk away with a great deal on their gun and some good, eye-opening (from personal experience) training that far too many people never bother to get.

Guns are ridiculously overpriced.  A handgun is no more complicated a tool than a cordless drill, rotary hammer, or automotive jack.  Their market value is derived from their mystique/utility rather than their manufacturing and distribution cost.

I seriously doubt you'd get any manufacturer to give a 50% discount for a class; there's also the problem of a noob gun owner being anything near ready for a tier of class like Defensive Pistol; he's going to need Basic Firearms Safety as well as Practical Pistol, before Defensive Pistol.

I have seen some gun stores offer a 10% discount for some types of customers:  if you have taken any firearms course from them in the last year, or are a member of their indoor range club, things like that.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 12:31:42 PM »
I shudder to think of what state approved (or worse, state mandated) "gun safety" courses would look like in CA, NY, IL, or other Democrat-controlled states.

We have required -- by either statute or state regulation, don't remember which -- the NRA Basic Pistol class as a prerequisite for a carry permit for decades. With the exception pf one brief interlude a few years back, we have had Democrats as governors for as long as I can remember, and I believe the state legislature has always been controlled by the Ds.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 12:51:50 PM »
I seriously doubt you'd get any manufacturer to give a 50% discount for a class; there's also the problem of a noob gun owner being anything near ready for a tier of class like Defensive Pistol; he's going to need Basic Firearms Safety as well as Practical Pistol, before Defensive Pistol.

I was actually thinking more outside of manufacturers, who I agree, would not be thrilled with the idea. Plenty of NGOs and other private trusts could offer something though.

I have no "plan" for this. It was just that the linked article got me thinking that it's always about the stick, and not a carrot. Not that the antis would buy into it, but it seems like there are a lot of voluntary carrots that could be offered to get more people trained, from basic, "this end goes "bang" training to "how not to shoot innocent bystanders (or yourself) if you need your gun for defense" training.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 12:53:49 PM »
Guns are ridiculously overpriced.  A handgun is no more complicated a tool than a cordless drill, rotary hammer, or automotive jack.  Their market value is derived from their mystique/utility rather than their manufacturing and distribution cost.

Hear, hear.  I wonder what would be the actual manufacturing cost for a Ruger LCR, for example. Academy is selling a .38 LCR for $ 580, and I wonder what is the cost on the Ruger loading dock for that revolver going out the door.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 01:15:38 PM »
Tax deductions? The Left will call it a subsidy, and be ultra-triggered. Let's do it!

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 03:00:13 PM »
Hear, hear.  I wonder what would be the actual manufacturing cost for a Ruger LCR, for example. Academy is selling a .38 LCR for $ 580, and I wonder what is the cost on the Ruger loading dock for that revolver going out the door.

I would be curious about that as well as the actual invoice price they charge the distributors.  If nothing else, it would give us an idea of the cost of having to sell through distributors and FFL dealers.

Just remember there is an 11% tax on all guns along with liability issues these days since Congress won't clear up that issue. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge