Author Topic: The FBI Secretly Pressured Americans To Waive Away Their Gun Rights  (Read 710 times)

MechAg94

• friend
The FBI Secretly Pressured Americans To Waive Away Their Gun Rights
https://dailycaller.com/2022/09/06/fbi-second-amendment-nics/

I am not sure what to think of this one.  I am confused as to why anyone would ever sign one of these forms at all unless they just failed to read it.  At least it appears only 15 people ever signed one.  My biggest fear is the form would be filled out and the signature forged with Feds testifying that I signed it. 

The forms were presented by the FBI to people at their homes and in other undisclosed locations, according to bureau documents unearthed through the Freedom of Information Act by the firearm rights group Gun Owners of America (GOA) and shared with the DCNF. At least 15 people between 2016 and 2019 signed the secret forms, which ask signatories to declare themselves as either a “danger” to themselves or others or lacking “mental capacity adequately to contract or manage” their lives.

“The NICS Indices Self-Submission form was created to provide an avenue for individuals to self-report to the NICS Section when individuals felt they were a danger to themselves or others,” the FBI spokesperson said.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JN01

• friend
Re: The FBI Secretly Pressured Americans To Waive Away Their Gun Rights
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 09:47:34 PM »
I watched a GOA video about that on YouTube. The FBI also provided the forms to the Social Security Administration that has declined to comment on what they did with them.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 10:49:35 PM »
Now I actually have to read every ToS update to make sure the FBI doesn't pull a sneaky? Great...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 08:50:36 AM »
If someone is mentally incompetent are they competent enough to sign a binding form?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 09:16:19 AM »
If someone is mentally incompetent are they competent enough to sign a binding form?

We think about this all the time in healthcare: does the patient have capacity to sign?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 09:43:57 AM »
That question was brought up in quotes from the article.  It appear this form was successfully used in only a small number of cases so we may never find out.  The one that jumped out at me was the teenager.  They didn't say he was a minor, but that is what I assumed.  I wouldn't think a minor should be able to sign something like that without the parent/guardian co-signing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 10:08:19 AM »
That question was brought up in quotes from the article.  It appear this form was successfully used in only a small number of cases so we may never find out.  The one that jumped out at me was the teenager.  They didn't say he was a minor, but that is what I assumed.  I wouldn't think a minor should be able to sign something like that without the parent/guardian co-signing.
It was my understanding that, generally speaking, signatures of persons under 18 aren't valid or binding on contracts or legal papers. (Except maybe for a driver's license at 16?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 11:11:21 AM »
Since when does the FBI encumber itself with contract validity, legal precedent, or other such irrelevant minutiae?
7-11 was a part time job.

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 03:21:00 PM »
We think about this all the time in healthcare: does the patient have capacity to sign?

I've wondered about that when my wife was being discharged after surgery and told she was too medicated to drive or make important decisions, then asked to sign for release.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 05:33:02 PM »
Since when does the FBI encumber itself with contract validity, legal precedent, or other such irrelevant minutiae?

For quite some time I have felt that my opinion of the FBI couldn't get any lower.

I was wrong.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design