Author Topic: Curious about flu shots  (Read 1571 times)

grampster

• friend
Curious about flu shots
« on: June 15, 2022, 09:36:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure a fair amount of our membership here at APS contacted Covid.  I also would suppose a fair amount of us also get the yearly fall flu shot.

I wonder how many who did contact Covid, had the Flu shot that most folks take advantage of each fall.

Inquiring minds would like to know.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
Re: Curious about flu shots
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »
I got the Covid vaccine in May '21, seasonal flu shot in September '21.

Got confirmed Covid in Jan '22 - it felt like the mildest case of flu I've ever had.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 09:49:36 AM »
I did not get COVID, but I did get the flu shot.  Of the 7 people at my work that got COVID, all have had the flu shot.

I am curious what hypothesis you are investigating here.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 10:20:01 AM »
I've always gotten the flu shot.

I also got the Covid vac, but not the booster.

As far as I know, I have not had the Kung Flu.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 10:20:15 AM »
"I am curious what hypothesis you are investigating here."

I'm just wondering if the Flu Shot might just have a benefit towards warding off Covid or at least helping to cause it to be milder if one did contact Covid.  Just a stray thought this AM, so I created a thread.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 10:23:04 AM »
I've always gotten the flu shot.

I also got the Covid vac, but not the booster.

As far as I know, I have not had the Kung Flu.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 10:25:21 AM »
Is Influenza related in any way to the Coronavirus family?  You wouldn't think antibodies would cross over.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 10:26:34 AM »
Had complete Covid series, superdupercallifragilistic geriatric flu shot, did not get anything beyond the usual winter sniffles here and there, probably just allergies from the pine trees out back.

Careful about masking, hand washing, distancing, etc. according to my freedom of choice viewpoint, until about a week ago.

Don't know if this is a data point for you or not.

Terry, 230RN

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 10:42:38 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 11:01:29 AM »
I got the latest flu shot, but I read that the efficacy of the flu shot was like a record low, basically even more like water than usual. Plus the flu season was really mild or non-existent on top of that. So, I concluded it was even more of a waste of time than the flu shot is already even at the best of times. But I did my part to keep the profits rolling for the med-industrial complex.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 11:35:13 AM »
I have had the flu shot. Two doses of Covid. Just got  over the Covid. It was pretty mild except for the persistent metallic taste in my mouth. My wife slept for about 2 weeks.

I am more concerned with the two outbreaks of shingles I have had after receiving the Covid vaccine after never having them in the past. More studies needed.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34719084/

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 02:46:56 PM »
Unofficially, I've had covid.  I never bothered to get tested, though.

Officially, I did not get a flu shot the last few years.  I rarely get a flu shot.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 02:50:02 PM »
I am more concerned with the two outbreaks of shingles I have had after receiving the Covid vaccine after never having them in the past. More studies needed.
I'm 39 and I had a relatively minor shingles outbreak about a month ago.  No COVID vaccine, but I did get COVID in the fall of 2020.  I've heard that both COVID and the vaccine have been linked to the reactivation of varicella.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2022, 02:52:42 PM »
I'm 39 and I had a relatively minor shingles outbreak about a month ago.  No COVID vaccine, but I did get COVID in the fall of 2020.  I've heard that both COVID and the vaccine have been linked to the reactivation of varicella.

This is news to me. Dang. I had eye shingles I guess 8 or so years ago. I don't want that again. I just had the covids, no vaccine.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 09:30:18 PM »
Curiosity question?  Unless a person rushes out to get a real test, not the q-tip up the nose, how would they actually know they had Covid?  I have heard multiple folks claim to have had Covid, just like they claim to have had the flu, but when questioned they admit never having been tested.  Symptomology is not conclusive.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2022, 10:31:11 PM »
No Covid, Shot 1 & 2 of the J&J juice, get flu shots every time one comes out.
No colds, no flu, no Covid.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2022, 11:15:48 PM »
Had Covid.

Have not (and won't) get The Jab.

Always get a flu shot.  Mostly out of long habit from the .mil

Oddly,  haven't had even the common cold since having covid in Dec 2020.  Lucky coincidence?  No idea but I'll take it.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2022, 12:05:05 AM »
Turning 45 end of next week. 

Got the coof back in January.  Got the J&J shot a year ago, no boosters.  Didn’t want it in the first place but wanted the kids to have a relationship with my parents.

Haven’t had any flu shots for 9 years.  Only got that because swmbo insisted given we had an infant.  Before that, maybe got 2 flu shots in the prior 10 years.  Been sick a LOT less than my wife, who gets the flu shot more years than not.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2022, 08:06:07 AM »
Oddly,  haven't had even the common cold since having covid in Dec 2020.  Lucky coincidence?  No idea but I'll take it.

That just set a lightbulb off. I don't get sick a lot, but for as long as I can remember, I always get a bad cold or something that knocks me out for a week once or twice a year. I just realized from your post that this has not happened to me since I got covid. Huh. Maybe that's a pro that cancels out the screwed up olfactory con.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2022, 08:33:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure a fair amount of our membership here at APS contacted Covid.  I also would suppose a fair amount of us also get the yearly fall flu shot.

I wonder how many who did contact Covid, had the Flu shot that most folks take advantage of each fall.

Got the 'Rona.  Didn't get the jab.

Always decline to get the flu vaccine.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2022, 01:52:45 PM »
Hmmmm.  Not a whole lot of tie together for much of anything other than no colds after covid. 

We were both sick with pretty hard respiratory issues from mid October 2019 to Mid January 2020.  No tests for anything then and local doctors would not allow tests for the covid antibodies even in mid to late 2020.  So no way to say whether we had covid or severe bronchitis attacks that lingered and went up and down for 3 months.  We have had flu shots every fall since 1968...no flu ever again since.  We had Pfizer 2 shots spring of '21.  I experienced a "bronchitis?" attack in mid February in Ft Myers Fl, but didn't get tested as I didn't want to get anyplace near a hospital and I had no loss of taste or smell....so we came home to Michigan the 1st of March. Got a new Flovent HFA inhaler when we got home and problem cleared up in a week.  Neither of us has had a cold that we can recall since January of 2020, other than my bronchitis thing past February.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2022, 03:04:27 PM »
After I got out of the Navy in '92 I declined to get the flu shot till '17 when I was scheduled for my hip replacement.  I didn't want to risk getting sick and having to reschedule at the last minute.
Didn't get the 'rona jab(s). I suspect I had it in August of '21. Symptoms were there, and I was in close contact with someone that tested positive 2 days later, and my daughter and her family got sick after visiting us the day before we developed full blown symptoms and they all tested positive. Not a definitive diagnosis but the clues add up.

Again while anecdotal,  this passed spring wife and I both got sick with flu like symptoms after being visited by our disease ridden vermin grandchildren. Daughter and family were all properly diagnosed with the flu the day after their visit with us.
If it walks like a duck...

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2022, 04:26:06 PM »
 "...after being visited by our disease ridden vermin grandchildren.".....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....True dat.  Our two great grands both spend time in elementary school and day care and they are trolls who live with us.   We've been lucky or maybe we are benefitting from the seemingly/maybe a bit of immunity noted in some above posts because we had the suspected Wuhan in Oct '19-Jan '20.  Probably never know.

I have read various accounts that virii as they evolve tend to be more communicable, but also less dangerous.  The accounts talk about how virii adapt to allow them to continue, because they "learn" to not kill their hosts or they won't be able to continue "living" on.  One wonders if it's not the jabs that reduce the severity of Wuhan, but the natural adaptation/evolution of them.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2022, 10:19:45 PM »
I get the flu shot every year, although it's not a really high priority so maybe I've missed one here or there. I know I've gotten them for the past 3 or 4 years.

I took the 2-shot Covid vaccine in March of 2021 (or was it 2020?)  and I have not gotten a booster shot and don't intend to.

I have not contracted Covid, nor have I had the flu in many years.  I do get colds from time to time and they kick my ass; they trigger a type of asthma, then I cough for a few months and sometimes get bronchitis or pneumonia.  That asthma thing started when I turned 40.
"It's good, though..."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2022, 12:32:10 AM »

Nope.  Never had a flu shot, never had the flu, not 'rona vaxxed (and no plans to), haven't even had a winter-time cold the last 6 years.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”