Author Topic: Old Jeep Grand Wagoneers  (Read 842 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Old Jeep Grand Wagoneers
« on: June 17, 2022, 12:01:47 PM »
We've long had a yearning for an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer.  1980's wood paneled, big rumbly V8.  Would also consider a 1970's era Cherokee Chief.  What is everyone's opinion here with experience on the AMC 360ci V8 that is popular in this era vehicle?

The San Diego trip, with 5 creatures packed in the car, has suggested to us a larger vehicle is warranted.  Don't really want to lay out $60k for a new large SUV, and we've wanted an older one for quite some time.  Seems the used market on these things is taking a dive right now due to fuel prices, and I don't think we've hit the End Of The World phase of things where the petro economy is going to collapse upon us; far more likely that Greenism is going to collapse and gas will re-stabilize.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Old Jeep Grand Wagoneers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 12:11:22 PM »
To consider:

I've had folks stop me in parking lots to offer to buy the Green Monster - a 1995 Chevy 3/4 ton conversion van, that hasn't had the "conversion" stuff inside it for over a decade. I mostly use it for storage and running for bulky stuff. It's been stolen twice (hole where the key cylinder was on the driver's door is covered with a padlock and hasp), paint is oxidized beyond repair, and... The 350 V8 with tow package is in nice shape, and the cherry bomb muffler lets it rumble... Since it is pre-OBDII, no emissions to pass.

Downside: I _really_ need to fix the damn windows so that they work again. Haven't since the last time someone stole it. I understand that a 1970s C10 crank system will work.
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 01:31:39 PM »
We've long had a yearning for an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer.  1980's wood paneled, big rumbly V8.  Would also consider a 1970's era Cherokee Chief.  What is everyone's opinion here with experience on the AMC 360ci V8 that is popular in this era vehicle?

I owned a '78 or '79 full-size Cherokee with the 360 engine and Quadra-Trac. I wish I had never sold it.

The engine is indestructible with routine maintenance. It's not a high-RPM racing engine, it's more of a torque monster. I used to tell people I could tie a rope around any house in town and pull it down with no problems.

Gas mileage was poor, but that's because in 1970 AMC changed from using the Carter AFB to some Ford carburetor. Put an AFB (or, better yet, one of the aftermarket throttle body injection systems) on it and the fuel mileage should increase significantly.

If you're in the rust belt, pay close attention to the frame. They were prone to rot.

What else would you like to know?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 10:10:40 PM »
... Don't really want to lay out $60k for a new large SUV...
Have you looked at prices for decent GW's recently? Or even in the past decade or so? They caught on in the 2000's with the upper middle class crowd as durable transport on the down-low so to speak and that sent prices through the roof for what they were. The prices moved up enough that there's at least two businesses rebuilding the things for retail or on commission, depending. Since places like that buy up everything they can get their hands on the market has turned into either junk not even fit for parts or 40K+ restored versions. I wouldn't be surprised that the financing needed for a decent one pushes you into something new instead.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 01:26:53 AM »
I know aplace local where five of the things sit, no idea who owns them though. Probably better found out your way though in the land that road salt forgot.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 09:46:29 AM »
I had a Cherokee chief with the 360 and it was a thirsty beast but I loved it. Wish I still had it.
The old Quadra track was overbuilt tough. Everything was easy to work on. Straight axles and leaf springs all around don’t make for the best ride but the weight of the machine helps. Very square footed best weight distribution of any vehicle I’ve ever owned.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 11:58:35 AM »
On the you will own nothing and like it front...ever consider renting a vehicle for the long road trips? I started doing that years ago and I love outsourcing my pre-trip maintenance to someone else and getting something more suitable for long hauls. If it breaks I am finding someplace with umbrellas in the drinks until they bring me a new one. Of course lately it helps I have access to a near bottomless pit of rental car points so they are free.
AKA Navy Joe   

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 12:06:12 PM »
About that fake wood panel trim...
Years ago my dad bought a chrysler wagon with the plastic and vinyl fake wood trim. We took a family road trip in the new car to visit ranching family in Nebraska.
When we pulled up, Dad's cousin came out and asked in his typical rancher's drawl, " Got a new car eh? When do you gonna take it outa the crate?"
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 12:08:58 PM »
On the you will own nothing and like it front...ever consider renting a vehicle for the long road trips? I started doing that years ago and I love outsourcing my pre-trip maintenance to someone else and getting something more suitable for long hauls. If it breaks I am finding someplace with umbrellas in the drinks until they bring me a new one. Of course lately it helps I have access to a near bottomless pit of rental car points so they are free.

That's something more people should consider. Most of my road trips involve off-roading so I end up taking my 4Runner. However for those trips where I'll be staying on roads, I have done this myself. Once you start adding up the mileage and wear and tear on your own vehicle, the cost is pretty competitive. Renting from the well known companies gives you a dependable vehicle, and as you mentioned, eliminates the "before and after a long trip" maintenance hassle.

I know a lot of people buy their vehicles as part of their lifestyle (as do I) so want to drive their own, but rentals are a very viable and cost effective alternative in many instances.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 12:55:24 PM »
That's something more people should consider. Most of my road trips involve off-roading so I end up taking my 4Runner. However for those trips where I'll be staying on roads, I have done this myself. Once you start adding up the mileage and wear and tear on your own vehicle, the cost is pretty competitive. Renting from the well known companies gives you a dependable vehicle, and as you mentioned, eliminates the "before and after a long trip" maintenance hassle.

I know a lot of people buy their vehicles as part of their lifestyle (as do I) so want to drive their own, but rentals are a very viable and cost effective alternative in many instances.

I have considered this.  This will be our tactic for any further 2-up motorcycle trips that Alexis and I take.  The Tiger 800 I have can do 2-up, but it becomes very top heavy and strong winds can make it very treacherous, as we encountered up near Canyon De Chelley about a month ago.  A BMW R1250RT, Honda Gold Wing, or Harley Road Glide would have been much more stable and also much more comfortable for the miles we put down.  I have absolutely zero interest in owning a bike of that nature, but see the appeal for the 2-up rides she and I do every couple of years or so.

As for cars though... Rentals give you considerable grief if you bring it back dirty, or you have dogs in it.  Both of those are generally likely with our family road trips.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 01:06:23 PM »
Have you looked at prices for decent GW's recently? Or even in the past decade or so? They caught on in the 2000's with the upper middle class crowd as durable transport on the down-low so to speak and that sent prices through the roof for what they were. The prices moved up enough that there's at least two businesses rebuilding the things for retail or on commission, depending. Since places like that buy up everything they can get their hands on the market has turned into either junk not even fit for parts or 40K+ restored versions. I wouldn't be surprised that the financing needed for a decent one pushes you into something new instead.

I've found one local with a fresh paint job and all wood paneling in place, an engine rebuilt about 8 years ago with only 22k on the rebuild, that was mid-restoration before its owner died.  Heir is selling for $18k OBO.  I'll have to finish some of the interior restoration job, but it looks like all the original parts are present.  Looks like it needs headliner reinstalled, interior door panels put back on, wiring for what appear to be power mirrors or maybe locks.  I hate the seats, they're that peak 80's furry carpet pile stuff, but there's a vehicle upholstery place nearby that I can have re-do them if I can't find some suitable seat covers that just slip over.  They're in great condition, I just don't like them.
--Lysander Spooner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 11:34:55 PM »
You can get a lot past a rental. I actually had to wash the last one, I got it stuck on a Kansas backroad. Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't had the window opened when I gassed it.
AKA Navy Joe   

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2022, 07:52:11 AM »
've found one local with a fresh paint job and all wood paneling in place, an engine rebuilt about 8 years ago with only 22k on the rebuild, that was mid-restoration before its owner died.  Heir is selling for $18k OBO.  I'll have to finish some of the interior restoration job, but it looks like all the original parts are present.  Looks like it needs headliner reinstalled, interior door panels put back on, wiring for what appear to be power mirrors or maybe locks.  I hate the seats, they're that peak 80's furry carpet pile stuff, but there's a vehicle upholstery place nearby that I can have re-do them if I can't find some suitable seat covers that just slip over.  They're in great condition, I just don't like them.

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/\

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 08:57:08 AM »
I've found one local with a fresh paint job and all wood paneling in place, an engine rebuilt about 8 years ago with only 22k on the rebuild, that was mid-restoration before its owner died.  Heir is selling for $18k OBO. 

If that one has no rot, it could be a hell of a deal. I’ve always thought these trucks would be a great platform to restomod. Do an LS swap, or even a modern Hemi, and a modern trans. Then throw disc brakes all around and you’d have a really nice daily that’s safer, and more reliable than the truck was originally, plus you’d have more than enough power to merge on to a highway and you might get more than 8 mpg...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 10:10:26 AM »
If that one has no rot, it could be a hell of a deal. I’ve always thought these trucks would be a great platform to restomod. Do an LS swap, or even a modern Hemi, and a modern trans. Then throw disc brakes all around and you’d have a really nice daily that’s safer, and more reliable than the truck was originally, plus you’d have more than enough power to merge on to a highway and you might get more than 8 mpg...

6.0/6.2 LS swap with a 4L80E and Holley Terminator X. About as turn-key as it gets. Holley hit a home run with the T-X. Makes EFI/e-trans swaps a snap.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB