Author Topic: Need bicycle advice  (Read 554 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Need bicycle advice
« on: February 22, 2023, 10:41:49 PM »
The bike I have is quite old and not really suitable to packed gravel trails, it’s really a pavement only bike.  It’s a recumbent, and I really like that style.  But new ‘bents are $$$$.  I need something less expensive, but still good quality.  My new job, once my clearance comes through, is close enough (9-10 miles) that I really want to commute by bike, at least when daylight hours and weather are ok for that.  I’m hopeful to start in late April which is when daylight and weather are getting pretty ideal for bike commuting.  I’ll have to spend the first couple weeks in FL, but after that I’ll be in WA 90%+ of the time.  The highway that is drive has a decent shoulder but can have a lot of traffic including big rigs, and there’s a packed gravel trail that parallels the highway.  Much safer, especially until I’m in good shape and able to make the ride in under 30 minutes.

So, what’s a good bicycle (brand and model and options) for this application?  I know nothing about especially upright bikes anymore.  Let’s keep it to new bicycles, trying to find the right used bike is too complicated.  If the right used bike came up I’m not opposed but it seems complicated.

Note that I will NEVER use it for “mountain biking” or cyclocross or similar.  I’m not going to use it for backcountry touring and if I ever ride the STP (Seattle to Portland race, around 206mi) I’d get a different bike.  So those sorts of secondary purposes are irrelevant to me.

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Need bicycle advice
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 11:15:53 PM »
Folding bikes are pointless for me.  If I need to drive somewhere I already have a good hitch mounted rack or a pickup truck.  Easy storage is moot too.

No electric bikes.  That’s cheating.  Eventually I might go for that, but I’m not that old or disabled.  Yet.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 11:56:54 PM »
I think a cheap-ish ($200? $300? I don't know what the prices are now) mountain bike would be fine for a commute like that with the right tires.  But I'm not sure what the right tires would be for packed gravel.  The Michelins I bought for mine a couple of years ago are great for pavement and were not that expensive. 

My bike is a Giant Boulder that I bought 20 years ago.  It's holding up pretty well.  I think that's considered an entry-level MTB.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 12:25:55 AM »
I’m fine with $1000.  If it makes a big difference $1500 isn’t unreasonable.  $2500 is getting pretty up there, more than I really could justify right now, and by $3500-4000 I’d just get a recumbent.

Some initial reading makes me think a “gravel bike” is what I want.  Kind of a cyclocross type bike but not exactly, wheels and tires are different, gearing is probably different but frame and handlebars are very similar.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 08:53:22 AM »
Can't you just put fatter tires on your current recumbent?
I don't remember recumbents having a lack of tire clearance. Even if you have to get a new fork or something, just putting fat tires in your current bike could be transformative.

If you want a cheap actual "gravel bike" look up the Mongoose Grit.

Another option is get literally any 90s era mtb that fits you and just fix it up for the road. That's what I did with a $8 goodwill bike.the geometry of old MTB is identical to modern "gravel" bikes and they have oodles of tire clearance.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 10:14:29 AM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 09:03:11 AM »
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm#1099

This will give you a sense of the various price levels and equipment thereto.  For your use, I think a flatbar would be most on point.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 10:43:39 AM »
I know you said no e-bike but they make some pretty nice ones in the $1500 range. And as far as “cheating” you choose the amount of pedal assist from none to full scoot. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to rule them out.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 11:29:09 AM »
^^^Being a serious cyclist for 55 years now, I have three conventional bicycles ranging from $ 1500 to 7000, and I bought my first and only electric bicycle (Tern HSD S81 $ 4000) a couple of years ago when my left hip no longer allowed me to mount the conventional bicycles and motorcycle.  I do like the convenience of the Tern electric bicycle.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 11:56:27 AM »
^^^Being a serious cyclist for 55 years now, I have three conventional bicycles ranging from $ 1500 to 7000, and I bought my first and only electric bicycle (Tern HSD S81 $ 4000) a couple of years ago when my left hip no longer allowed me to mount the conventional bicycles and motorcycle.  I do like the convenience of the Tern electric bicycle.

If they would fit me, and you can no longer ride them anyway, you’re one source for a used bike I would seriously consider. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 12:13:04 PM »
^^^Fortunately, the goal of the left hip replacement last year was to get me back on all my bicycles, and it succeeded. I can now ride everything.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 07:38:55 PM »
Can't you just put fatter tires on your current recumbent?
I don't remember recumbents having a lack of tire clearance. Even if you have to get a new fork or something, just putting fat tires in your current bike could be transformative.

Nope.  Bike is old, and has a weird wheel setup.  16” front and I think 26” rear (might be different, I know it’s an obsolete wheel in an odd size).  It’s almost impossible to get skinny pavement tires for it.  Fatter tires also won’t fit on the bike even if I can get ones to fit the rims.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 07:48:45 PM »
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm#1099

This will give you a sense of the various price levels and equipment thereto.  For your use, I think a flatbar would be most on point.

Are their prices generally reflective of street prices, or are they significantly lower?  How’s customer service if there’s a problem?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 08:13:32 PM »
Salsa Journeyman

Looks like they renamed it Journeyer. Probably because the name wasn't inclusive.

https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/road/Journeyer

I have the Sora 650b.

The 650b is basically a 27.5 rim that you can run a fatter tire on. Bigger contact patch and you can play with pressures to soften the ride. Available in drop bar or straight bar. Gravel bike geometry. Covered in braze on points so you can attach any type of bags/racks you desire. Also available in 700c wheel size.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 08:48:53 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 08:35:58 PM »
I suggest something in at least a 500cc configuration for a short commute like that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2023, 01:03:37 AM »
I've bought from bikes direct before. The bikes are sort of a good deal if you know how to work on bikes really well. Plan on taking them completely apart and putting back together correctly. If you find something that you really like it should be fine. Do you have a bicycle co-op in your area? That's a good place to find deals.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2023, 08:58:33 AM »
I have bought two bicycles from BikesDirect.  Unless custom-made, bicycles are a commodity these days.  The frames are all made in one of three factories in Taiwan or the PRC, and the same parts are attached, it is put in a box and put on a ship. It is the labels that distinguish between a Trek, a Specialized, or a Cannondale.

BikesDirect saves by eliminating the dealer overhead, support and bicycle brand name.  It is best suited for someone who knows what they want and can either do basic bicycle maintenance and assembly themselves or take it to a local shop.  I have never needed their customer service.  You can save significantly on the price from a brand name.  BD does an excellent job of listing all the components so you can compare apples to apples when shopping.

Some cyclists and bike shops look down on BD because it has been a disruptive force in the bicycle industry in terms of saving money and buying direct from the wholesaler.  It is like when Academy comes into town and you can now get the same S&W pistol for one-third less than the LGS.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2023, 11:44:44 AM »
That's almost but not quite correct. The idea that the "just cut out the middleman" is wrong. They cut out a lot more than that.

Bikes direct basically assembles bikes based on whatever they can scrape for cheap off of the market. They admit as much since it's their business model. So you will never be sure exactly what parts you will get because it's basically spec'd as "whatever frame turned out to be a bad seller" or "whatever random headset can be acquired the cheapest". This could very well mean you are getting parts that are faulty, counterfeit, or failed qc. Or maybe it was just a production overrun and it's perfectly fine. You won't really know.

Bikes direct bikes are sort of a mystery box. Yeah, they are 25% cheaper or something, but you are basically buying a wildcard, so it's not a fair comparison. Usually it ends up being a franken-bike that's a mismash of different standards, odd size or geometry, and hard to upgrade. On top of that the bikes are "assembled" as quickly and carelessly as possible so you might as well be getting a frame and a box of parts because if you don't have a death wish you will need to check every bolt and bearing. My BD fatbike came with cranks that were binding and needed a spacer. And the headset was clunking and I found out they didn't even scrape the paint off the frame where the headset fits and the head tube couldn't be reamed so I had to loctite in the new headset. And the seatpost is a bizarre size I didn't even know existed, so I can't put a dropper post on it. The tires were horrible and had to be changed. On the plus side it was impossible to buy anything else at the time during the supply crunch, and everything else was hyper inflated, so BD was a good desperation option. At the time people were buying BD bikes to strip the parts and throwing the frames in the trash. But the cost is low and the value is also low.

I would still say a random BD bike is probably better than a random Walmart bike. But a random Walmart bike will be cheaper. A random BD bike is NOT, however, better than the best Walmart bikes, and not better than Walmart bikes at the same price tier. There are actually some decent bikes at Walmart, especially Pacific Cycles brands. The Mongoose Dolomite, Grit, and other bikes are actually really good and lots of people buy them just for the frames because it's true, almost all frames at a certain tier are made in the same factory. But there is also a lower tier which is the Walmart Bike Shaped Object tier that's obvious  because the designs are obscene and the welds look like my ten year old made them (and they probably were made by a ten year old somewhere in Asia). The bikes made by Pacific really are basically the same as the big brands with different stickers. They are usually lower spec but lower spec isn't always bad and nowadays that the parts companies started changing things for marketing reasons, lower spec often means "older spec" which was the standard spec for decades and still is fine.

The Pacific -made Walmart bikes are probably the best value available. I would honestly avoid BD for the most part. It's false economy because it's just as likely to need work or have problems as a used bike, and you don't get the benefit of buying a new bike that's reasonably specd out with modern standards and non-counterfiet (probably) parts and warranty, assembled by a shop with free tune ups,  etc. If you are cheap an/or can work on your own stuff and want a project it's better to find something used and fix it up instead. As always, used is the best. Bikes don't really wear out.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 12:00:41 PM by zahc »
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2023, 12:01:47 PM »
^^^Perhaps things have changed since I bought my aluminum road and titanium MTB from BD ten years ago or so.  I know my components and the BD bikes were shipped with good components consistent with the price point of the bicycle.  And I always go over my bikes upon arrival, since I have found that even the LBS or REI can screw up the assembly. 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2023, 12:15:57 AM »
I just learned about this this, and it looks so good. I would definitely buy this if I didn't have a bike fairly close.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/preamble
--Tallpine