Author Topic: A lovely week in Colorado  (Read 797 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
A lovely week in Colorado
« on: June 20, 2022, 11:40:30 AM »
SWMBO and I just returned from Colorado, four days in Winter Park (actually Fraser) and four in Creede. No schedule except lodging check in/out times, no plans other than whatever suited our fancy that particular day. It was lovely.

Haven't been to the Winter Park area since I was a kid, maybe 45 or so years ago. SWMBO never had been. It's still just as beautiful as ever. Mostly driving around and gawking with occasional stops for pics and eats. Drives to RMNP, Estes Park, Nederland, and Blackhawk. Virginia Canyon Road from Central City to Idaho Springs. A mine tour in Idaho Springs. A day nosing around Loveland Pass and Breckenridge.

We even discovered a road I didn't know about but will be driving again... Trough Road from just south of Kremmling over to C131. It roughly follows the Colorado River but winds around, up and down, with tremendous views as you drop back down to the river. Prepared gravel, oiled and packed, that's in better shape than many of the paved roads. Took this as a way to avoid I-70 and glad we did. It's now our route of choice for anything that direction. Definitely worth going a fair bit out of your way to experience.

We did make one wrong turn on our way to the Phoenix Mine just outside Idaho Springs. Ended up on a mountain road that had me worried. Not for the drive, which was fantastic, but for the tires on my truck. It was definitely not a street tire friendly experience. The truck did great and we would have continued if it had been shod with more durable rubber. As it was, we made it about a mile before the rocks won and caution dictated retreat.

If you're looking for accommodations in the area, give Hideaway Mountain Lodge just outside Fraser a close look. It was great. Live-in owners who take a lot of pride in their place. Far enough from Fraser to avoid tourists and traffic but still close enough for convenience. Rooms were comfy and breakfast tasty. Built in the 80s so plumbing and electrical actually work, but still has an "old mountain lodge" vibe. Price is amazingly affordable, too, especially given the view from their deck (complete with ever-present hummingbirds).

The only unenjoyable aspect of the area is I-70 between Idaho Springs and Frisco/Dillon. It was awful. Truly awful. The road was in horrible condition and traffic was brutal. We drove it once and decided never again. We made several significant detours to avoid it after that. No real issue, though, as the detours brought with them incredible views and a nice, chill experience. The one we used most often was Colorado 9 from Silverthorne to Kremmling, then following the Colorado River on US 40 from Kremmling to Granby.

On the day we drove from Fraser to Creede we went through Glenwood Canyon and around to Aspen. I'd forgotten just how jaw-dropping Glenwood Canyon is. Thankfully traffic was relatively light so we could slow down and rubberneck a little. Gave SWMBO her first taste of Independence Pass, too. Road is a little better than I remember but it is still a true white-knuckler in every way. Views are worth it, though, and she did great. If you want to see what I'm talking about, go to Google Maps coordinates 39.12077670391222, -106.72860814221785 and check out the street view.

Creede is a perennial favorite. Super laid-back and not so touristy. Creede Snowshoe Lodge is our stay of choice, not only just for the cleanliness and general comfort, but also for convenience and price. On a previous stay we discovered to our delight that the owners, Shane and Jennifer, are from very near my home town and are good friend with my parents. On-site ATV rentals, too. We made the requisite drive of Bachelor Loop. We even had time to stop at Last Chance Mine. Our first time there and definitely recommended if you're in the area. Went up past the Rio Grande Reservoir. Again, beautiful, but the road was so washboarded it kinda ruined the vibe. It was not a pleasant drive. SWMBO has relatives with an RV spot down in the valley and we were able to spend a good bit of time with them.

Apparently we took a bit of Lubbock weather with us as both places were having what they considered a heat wave, highs in the low-mid 80s. Not great in afternoons because few places in either location have A/C. Beat the heck out of being home, though, as Lubbock set record high temps while we were gone. I'll take 84 degrees over 107 any day.

Just about a perfect week. Waiting for bookings to open next month so we can get our names on the list for next year.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 02:38:36 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: A lovely week in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 01:51:55 PM »
Marvelous travelogue, thanks.  One of the reasons I love Colorado is the scenery.

"Gave SWMBO her first taste of Independence Pass, too. Road is a little better than I remember but it is still a true white-knuckler in every way. "

Wife1 and I did that Pass back in the late '60's in a Chevy Greenbrier van.  Mention of it today still makes me gasp with a sudden intake of breath and a little heart spasm.  Yikes.

How fast can a mortal repeat Hail Marys? I'm sure I hit 12 HM/minute.

"....nowandatthehourofourdeathamenHailMaryfullofgrace..."

Terry
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 02:09:01 PM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 02:20:49 PM »
If you want to see what I'm talking about, go to Google Maps coordinates 39.12077670391222, -106.72860814221785 and check out the street view.
Followed the road a little and found a spot with two way traffic . . . and a couple of pedestrians!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 02:22:15 PM »
Forgot to add...

If you have an urge to visit Estes Park as a destination... pass. It's awful. A solid sea of pedestrians clogging what little road there is. Combined with dense traffic in/out of RMNP, it's a miserable exercise in patience and alternate routes.

If you want to visit RMNP, do it from the Grand Lake side. Almost no traffic. A "line" at the entry gate is all of maybe two vehicles. From the Estes Park side you might have 50-plus. Also remember your entry reservation unless you intend to arrive before 9a or after 3p.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 02:22:52 PM »
Followed the road a little and found a spot with two way traffic . . . and a couple of pedestrians!

The area draws summer hikers and bicyclists like buzzards to a carcass. There were groups of them atop every pass, sucking down energy drinks and vainly attempting to absorb what little oxygen was available.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 02:49:02 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 09:46:11 AM »
Quick revisit because of yet another reminder why I will never drive the I-25 Colorado Springs/Denver corridor again unless forced at gunpoint.

When we went through back in June, we cut west from the interstate onto E-470 just south of Denver proper. A fair stretch of 470 has an express lane (toll) which I used it go try and miss at least some traffic. Back in early October, four months later, I realized I hadn't received a toll billing so I called ExpressToll to ask. They went tappy-tap on the keyboard and came back with, "We don't see anything under your name or license plate number". Well, okay then, y'all have a nice day!

Yesterday in the mail I get notice from Express Pay that I have two weeks to pay an overdue toll or be sent to collections. That's chickenshit enough after being told I wasn't even in the system, but the payment system pushed me over the top. I went in and paid on a credit card. The system spit back a simple message of "Thank you for paying. You will receive an email when your payment has been applied." No transaction number, not even an email to say the payment had been submitted. Nothing at all to show you had actually submitted a payment on a particular date. My only recourse was a desktop screenshot showing the "Thank You" screen along with Windows taskbar date and time. Emailed a copy to myself for archiving and attached a printed copy to the payment notice. Fortunately I got a Payment Received notification a few hours later.

I-25 between Colorado Springs was a nightmare anyway. 55 miles of bumper-to-bumper stop and go insanity. What should have taken 45 minutes took almost three hours. This just added insult to injury.

I will not under any circumstance short of life dependency, go that route again. I've already identified a route which leaves the interstate at Pueblo and takes us up valley right behind the front range. Google Maps shows about 30-45 min time difference, but it will likely be several hours shorter what with missing the mess between Colorado Springs and Denver. I'll take it, especially considering the only interstate we hit after cutting west at Pueblo is three miles on I-70 from Georgetown to the Winter Park exit. Prettier drive, too.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 11:12:29 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 10:16:40 AM »
Years ago, 1992, IIRC, I flew into Denver and drove I-25 to Raton.

After I got below Castle Rock there was absolutely NOTHING on the road. And it was one of the most beautiful drives I've ever been on. It was incredible.

I understand now that the area between Denver and Castle Rock has infilled quite a bit and it's now largely suburban Denver.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »
Quick revisit because of yet another reminder why I will never drive the Colorado Springs/Denver corridor again unless forced at gunpoint.

When we went through back in June, we cut west from the interstate onto E-470 just south of Denver proper. A fair stretch of 470 has an express lane (toll) which I used it go try and miss at least some traffic. Back in early October, four months later, I realized I hadn't received a toll billing so I called ExpressToll to ask. They went tappy-tap on the keyboard and came back with, "We don't see anything under your name or license plate number". Well, okay then, y'all have a nice day!

Yesterday in the mail I get notice from Express Pay that I have two weeks to pay an overdue toll or be sent to collections. That's chickenshit enough after being told I wasn't even in the system, but the payment system pushed me over the top. I went in and paid on a credit card. The system spit back a simple message of "Thank you for paying. You will receive an email when your payment has been applied." No transaction number, not even an email to say the payment had been submitted. Nothing at all to show you had actually submitted a payment on a particular date. My only recourse was a desktop screenshot showing the "Thank You" screen along with Windows taskbar date and time. Emailed a copy to myself for archiving and attached a printed copy to the payment notice. Fortunately I got a Payment Received notification a few hours later.

I-25 between Colorado Springs was a nightmare anyway. 55 miles of bumper-to-bumper stop and go insanity. What should have taken 45 minutes took almost three hours. This just added insult to injury.

I will not under any circumstance short of life dependency, go that route again. I've already identified a route which leaves the interstate at Pueblo and takes us up valley right behind the front range. Google Maps shows about 30-45 min time difference. I'll take it, especially considering the only interstate we hit after cutting west at Pueblo is three miles on I-70 from Georgetown to the Winter Park exit. Prettier drive, too.

Brad
I might suggest avoiding I-10 between Houston and San Antonio on Holiday weekends.  Especially Sunday afternoons when quite a few people are heading back to Houston.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 01:06:45 PM »
Back in early October, four months later, I realized I hadn't received a toll billing so I called ExpressToll to ask. They went tappy-tap on the keyboard and came back with, "We don't see anything under your name or license plate number". Well, okay then, y'all have a nice day!

Illinois Toll Road payment system operates on the same level of idiocy, however they don't allow in-person payment.  All lanes are "we'll bill you later" lanes (except for SpeedPass or whatever they call the prepaid RFID chip).  After _trying_ to log in and pay within the 2 week window, I gave up and let them send me a paper violation notice.  The 15 dollar late fee was well worth the convenience of being force-fed an easier payment method.
7-11 was a part time job.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 01:16:09 PM »
Back in early October, four months later, I realized I hadn't received a toll billing so I called ExpressToll to ask. They went tappy-tap on the keyboard and came back with, "We don't see anything under your name or license plate number". Well, okay then, y'all have a nice day!

Tsk-tsk-tsk, you poor closure-seeker.

Don't you see? You broke Corollaries 1A and 1B of the rule: "If it works, don't fix it," which goes: "Corollaary 1A-  Leave well enough alone."

Corollary 1B says: "Corollary 1B-  You tickle a computer, and it will giggle."

Under the same rubric, we find: "Corollary 2A- Your problem never makes it through the most recent update unless you tickle the computer."

Life lesson, without the formalities?  "Let *expletive deleted*it happen on its own."

Tsk-tsk-tsk, you poor closure-seeker, you.

My thoughts and prayers go with you.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 01:37:46 PM by 230RN »

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 09:09:06 AM »
Quick revisit to post a couple of videos from the trip.

After the trip I pulled dashcam video, but haven't messed with it until now. I'm learning Davinci Resolve and figured these would be a good chance to learn.

First is US Hwy 40, Kremmling east to Fraser. The quality is a little off because this was a first effort and I didn't get the video settings right.

https://youtu.be/YaXOoyck9iQ

Second is a misadventure I talked about in the OP, the road that had me worried about tires.

https://youtu.be/GYSefiXtS9M

Both have a skips because I didn't realize Davinci media bin files are links to the original files, not standalone copies. A few ham-fisted edits later and some of the original files were irretrievably chopped. Oh well, lesson learned. Besides, we're going back to the same area in June. I can get new footage then.

Brad
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 10:29:44 AM »
Did you visit the Royal gouge?
When we were there a few years ago I was really disappointed to drive all the way down from Colorado Springs to find out the road ends at a parking lot with high wood fence and you can’t see anything unless you pay. At that time I think it was $18/person.
Best part was a winery we found in Canyon City.
Took the Gold Dust Trail road back and it was scenic and relaxing with no traffic.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 10:53:55 AM »
Did you visit the Royal gouge?
When we were there a few years ago I was really disappointed to drive all the way down from Colorado Springs to find out the road ends at a parking lot with high wood fence and you can’t see anything unless you pay. At that time I think it was $18/person.
Best part was a winery we found in Canyon City.
Took the Gold Dust Trail road back and it was scenic and relaxing with no traffic.

We didn't visit RG last year, but did make it by during our 2021 trip. SWMBO has a thing about heights, a BIG thing, but she gutted up we made it across the bridge without incident. That's the year we did Phantom Canyon Road south from Victor. Graveled, but very well maintained. An easy drive for any passenger vehicle. Highly recommended.

Brad
-HankB